PDA

View Full Version : Binos Question

Chuck Norris
07-22-2008, 08:25 PM
Alright here it is. My buddy is looking at new binos. He was looking at the Leupold Cascades 10x42, the Zeiss Conquest 10x42's (the cascades are half the price and look to be pretty decent optics) and he is looking into Vortex Razors or Viper. Now I have my opinions, but, I was wondering what other people had in mind? And has anyone heard much about the Vortex's? All I have heard is good things about them, and with the VIP unconditional warranty it makes them look even better, but the company in quite new (2004 I believe?) Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

Steeleco
07-22-2008, 08:58 PM
I've always been a hands on thinker when it comes to optics. by that I mean I want to play with a set first. If they don't feel good in the hand or at the eye, it won't matter who made them, you'll not use them as much.

If possible try each pair, then you'll know which you like the most.

The Dawg
07-22-2008, 09:06 PM
I have the Zeiss Conquest and love them...incredible clarity....but as Steelco said, try them all out and find the one that suits your needs best.

huntwriter
07-22-2008, 09:25 PM
I own and use a pair Swarovski 10 X 42, but a relative just purchased the Leupold Cascades 10x42 south of the border where they are a lot cheaper than here. He tells me that he is as happy with these as could be.

Bow Walker
07-23-2008, 07:46 AM
There has been a number of threads concerning optics lately. Much discussion about all those brands that you mentioned. As has been stated - try as many as you can before putting your hard earned $$$ down. BTW, I prefer the Vortex line.

tomahawk
07-23-2008, 08:03 AM
Good advice on trying as many as you can, if possible try them outside in natural light conditions, the glare and glitter inside most stores make them all look better than they actually are.

huntcoop
07-23-2008, 08:27 AM
For the price I'd go with the Vortex line.

Sitkaspruce
07-23-2008, 09:21 AM
I really like the Vortex Line. I had a pair of Razors and they were amazing glass. I also liked the Viper line as well. Another glass to look at is the Minox HG line.

Check out this site. I have ordered bino's from them and they have a great price and a 30 day money back guarentee. I have recieved and sent back a couple pair of bino's with no problems, they even reemburse you your return shipping, no questions asked. Also very knowledgeable staff.
http://www.forthebirdsnatureshop.ca/index.php

Another place is in the states, but the best price and service you can ask for. They sell brand new bino's at demo prices, as they buy all the bino's used at the optic/hunting/camera shows. Most have never been open and are brand new. Check out the demo/samples page.
http://www.cameralandny.com/

Cheers

SS