Kechika
07-20-2008, 10:45 AM
http://www.backcountryhunting.net/forum/index.php

oddsix
07-20-2008, 10:47 AM
T-shirt with the plaid jacket

BCBear
07-20-2008, 11:15 AM
I ALWAYS have at least 4 dryfit (underarmour, MEC, whatever) nearby with freezer size ziploc bags to store the sweaty dirty ones in. Nothing like being dry again after a hot hike into a secret spot during a cold morning... when your now sitting there feeling your sweat get cold and it takes away from your focus.

jrjonesy
07-20-2008, 11:30 AM
I use the BaseSlayer from Cabelas in Camo. Really like it. Plus it can be used as the only layer on hot September days.

todbartell
07-20-2008, 11:40 AM
usually a pair of polyester gym shorts and a Rocky 100% poly long sleeve. Gonna get Sitka Core stuff maybe this fall...we'll see

Brambles
07-20-2008, 11:57 AM
I bought a underarmour shirt at sportsmans wharehouse, bought XL like I always wear. WELL it was technical fit and it was friggin tight, I had to give it to my brother because unless your physically gifted and look like Adonis you look like a complete dork in them.

I wouldn't mind trying on their NON technical fit stuff because I hear its good stuff but no one sells it near here and I wont' go on faith with them again.

Deadshot
07-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Use the Under Armour with a micro fleece over top. It dries out in no time. Throw in a Stanfield & lightweight rain jacket & your good to go.
I'd say the tech fit will probably keep you warmer.

Gateholio
07-20-2008, 12:13 PM
I've been using underarmor the last couple of years. Using the "compression" models, If you have a 6 pack abs, you will look/feel like a superhero. If you have ever drank a beer in your life, you will feel liek a sausage.:mrgreen:

I use thier relaxed fit stuff, it's good polypro, but lik all polypro, it does stink after a day. On the upside, you coudl get by with 2 shirts, alternating washing one in a creek and wearing one. They dry FAST.

When I get around to it, I'm going to try merino wool, hear it doens't stink.8)

BlacktailStalker
07-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I'm a fan of packing two of everything and washing one in a creek when not in use.
Merino is the way to go I think.

huntwriter
07-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Depending on the weather. In warm weather I wear silk undergarments and in the winter wool and/or fleece and then add layers as needed, like wool shirts and Thisulate padded jackets, parka, pants or bib-coveralls. Warm or cold I always where silk socks and over it different weights of wool socks, again depending on weather. Silk wicks water away and like wool or fleece keeps you warm even when wet at a fraction of the cost of Under Armor.

Avalanche123
07-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Merino wool these days in different weights. I have one old piece of poly pro that I still use too.

Anything but cotton,,,,,

BCbillies
07-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Merino wool these days in different weights. I have one old piece of poly pro that I still use too.

Anything but cotton,,,,,

x2 for the Merino wool. A little pricey but well worth it. Used to use the poly but could hardly stand myself after a day or two.

ryanb
07-20-2008, 03:02 PM
I use icebreakers merino wool. Amazing stuff, warm, and I've worn it for two weeks straight without it getting stinky. It's warm, and that is really the only problem with the stuff...because you don't want to be wearing it on a 20 deg C day on early moose, elk, sheep whatever hunt.

It's all I wear below my parka and pants working in the actic in the spring (-35).
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y288/rbumali/A1.jpg

pupper
07-20-2008, 04:36 PM
I use under armour heat gear and cold gear, also use merino wool which is better in my opinion since it does not get stinky and feels more natural.

anglo-saxon
07-20-2008, 05:07 PM
I've used a number of brand names over the years. I have some Under Armour, but I find it feels clammy after sweating into it. My favourite for the cold it is Helly Hensen every time. I've been wearing it since the start of my mountaineering days in the early 80's and it has never let me down. Their Lifa t-shirts and long-sleev tees are excellent, as are their under sock and inner gloves. All wick away the moisture better than else anythign I've encountered. The heavyweight HH underwear is oustanding in extreme cold, too, esp. for skidoo time.

I like wool, too, but not next to the skin (just my preference). When wool gets wet (even from perspiration) it stay warm. I great choice for a second layer.

In the cold, I tend to dress in three or four layers with a windproof layer on the outside. That way I can regulate my body temp easier. I try to avoid over-perspiration whenever possible, as you lose not only water, but valuable minerals, too.

ruttinbuck
07-22-2008, 08:27 AM
I have used Kombi poly base layer for years.Does'nt seem to matter how much you wash poly it still has that residual smell that lingers and comes back strong after one day hiking.
I bought some smartwool merino this year and will be switching to that this fall.I bought the midweight as I prefer just the base layer under my camo,wind gear rain gear what ever.RB

todbartell
08-07-2008, 07:53 PM
I got my Sitka stuff today. A set of the Core (early season) and Traverse (slightly insulated) bottom/zip t shirts. Real comfortable, it's +27 in my house and I'm wearing the Core stuff :lol: not feeling overheated or sweaty at all

Avalanche123
08-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Where did you buy the Sitka gear?

+27....yuck!

todbartell
08-07-2008, 09:23 PM
got the Sitka gear from Omineca Sports :D

Gateholio
08-07-2008, 09:33 PM
I used the Sitka CORE shirt recently. It's pretty good. better than UNDERARMOUR and event he HH I used to use. Still takes a few to dry out in the wind, and it still smells (but not so bad as any other polypro I've used) Liek to find some early season, fast wickign merino wool, apparently it doesn't stink.:p

srupp
08-07-2008, 09:43 PM
I have a order of clothing arriving on the 11th for my sheep hunt later..

I start with 'silk " liteweight poly pro type to wick the moisture from walking.

Next i use the XWACS..polypro fleece stuff for when Im not hiking..
then I carry a extra long down type vest for when it really cools off or windy ..gets the core protected..

On top of that I use a rain jacket/windbreaker in MTO50 that is "my " system for hiking and layering..

I have a much heavier MTO50Whitetail series from Cabellas for later moose hunting etc..when it gets nasty cold..

I WILL stop and see Toddbartell on the way north and check out their Sitka gear...

I save and use a seperate set of long johns for sleeping so not to get the sleeping bag stinky with sweat..

Steven

Fisher-Dude
08-07-2008, 09:47 PM
usually a pair of polyester gym shorts

The visual is gonna make me puke.

I wear Helly Hansen stuff. If you don't like how I smell, go hunt somewhere else. :razz: