PDA

View Full Version : What size and kind of spotting scope tripod???

huntcoop
07-19-2008, 01:27 PM
What size and kind of tripod's do you guys use? Like what are the closed and fully extended measurements?

I just bought a 15-45 x 50mm Bausch and Lomb spotter off eBay for $150 CDN. The clarity is awesome. Seems to be a good bang for the buck. Opinions?

huntcoop
07-20-2008, 04:11 PM
Ok, let's try again...

For those of you with spotting scopes...do you usually sit and glass? If so, how big is your tripod? Or do you have a tripod that extends enough to stand as well........

Steeleco
07-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Wish I could help, till I can afford one of these
http://www.adorama.com/LD124060GRB.html?sid=1216595889835441
I'll not know.

When I did have the use of one just like this, we used a table top type tripod and just sat on our duff most of the day!!!

BlacktailStalker
07-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Any tripod that extends long enough to stand and use is generally too heavy for backpacking.
Also its unlikely you will be standing if you're "in the game," so a lower profile, either sitting or laying is preferred.
I just picked up a Slik 613, that goes from 16" to 46" and weighs 1.5lbs, its new to me but from fiddling with it and using it a bit, its extremely sturdy and should last forever.
I think a quality tripod head is equally as important. Any head with play or sloppy movement when in a fixed position will lessen your glassing effectiveness.
Ball heads wear out. Pan heads can be bulky/heavy.
If you want a quality head, look at the Jim White tripod head.
Some guys buy the high end stuff like Gitzo that weighs 1lb, but it seems the general consensus is they are too light and zoomed images at any distance can be too blurred.
Also a rock bag is often needed to sturdy it up.
I found its not the weight of a tripod that makes it sturdy, its the stiffness of the actual legs (some materials are more rigid than others)
for that reason I went with the carbon fibre, it doesnt "shiver" and is extremely solid.

Blainer
07-20-2008, 05:07 PM
I prefer to stand while spotting.
London drugs probably has a variety of 10 stands or more in different qualities.The head is universal with scopes,camera,ect.

ruttinbuck
07-22-2008, 08:36 AM
I have a bushnell "field" tripod that weighs 1lb and adjusts from 1-3ft in height{those numbers will be close maybe not spot on}.Great tripod for packing not the best in wind,being lighter it moves a bit.
I have a manfrotto 718SHB I picked up when I bought a set of 15X58 binos.More stabile tripod with precise adjustment ability with all legs and head.Adjusts from 1.5-3.5ft{again these numbers are close} and weighs over 2lbs.
I also have an older Slik tripod that adjusts up to 5ft in height,I don't have a model number or weight but it has been around for quite a few camera upgrades and still hangs in there on day filming trips.RB

huntcoop
07-22-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanx, this is the kinda info I was wondering about. Like are most guys sitting while spotting. In that case one would only need something that is 3 feet max......or if you are lying down the 3 foot max one may collapse enough to work.
Thanx for the info.

Timberjack
07-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Two options:

take a mini camera tripod (approx four inches high and weighs nothing) and find a rock to put it on. A good options for long, high mountain hunts where weight is a serious issue. Can lie down comfortably behind such a setup on ridges as well.

Or, go to the sony store (they're all over the place). THey make an excellent one that works nicely for a sitting position, is as lightweight as they come and very sturdy. Lighter and better than anyhting you will find at london drugs. Cost 60-70 bucks if I recall correctly..

TJ

Mr. Friendly
07-24-2008, 04:40 PM
check out this review on tripods and mounting systems:
http://cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1344

hope that helps. :)

BCRiverBoater
07-24-2008, 05:21 PM
I find when sheep hunting on windy slopes the really tall tripods move around a little too much when on higher power. One I like to stay low and tucked away out of the buggers keen eye sight and secondly it is too windy out in the open standing tall. I find laying down or sitting comfortably is the best on mountain tops. Also backpacking is so weight related, the lighter the better as long as well built. Breaking a tripod 20 miles in on foot is a disaster when glassing.

huntcoop
07-24-2008, 06:41 PM
I find when sheep hunting on windy slopes the really tall tripods move around a little too much when on higher power. One I like to stay low and tucked away out of the buggers keen eye sight and secondly it is too windy out in the open standing tall. I find laying down or sitting comfortably is the best on mountain tops. Also backpacking is so weight related, the lighter the better as long as well built. Breaking a tripod 20 miles in on foot is a disaster when glassing.

So would it be safe to say that yours extends to a max of about 3 feet or so?

BCRiverBoater
07-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Without digging it out I would say about 3' or a hair more but I rarely have it at max length.

huntcoop
07-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Without digging it out I would say about 3' or a hair more but I rarely have it at max length.

I was kinda thinking about getting one that the max height is about 3.0 - 3.5 feet to be used for sitting or lying only.
Thanx for the assistance.

BCRiverBoater
07-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Leopuld makes a nice sturdy 3 foot tripod. It is a little heavier than some others but it looks very well built which may explain the weight. It has quick release levers for the legs instead of the threaded ones and appear to grab and hold very well. In town it retails for $109 Cad.