PDA

View Full Version : Sattelite phones when on remote hunts - A GOOD THING

Kody94
07-18-2008, 06:32 PM
How many of you pack satt phones on your remote backpack hunts? I haven't traditionally bothered with sattelite communication. I am glad I did this time.

It wasn't a hunting trip, but I was recently on an 8 day through-hike in the Purcell mountains. 4 days and 37 kms in to the trip, my buddies and I were in the pass and looking forward to 4 more days of mostly down-hill! While preparing dinner, a buddy of mine lost his grip on a pot of boiling water and it landed on my foot, and splashed on my ankle. Fortunately a creek was nearby and I got it good and cold right away.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Ankle_July15.jpg

Anyway, since the schedule was tight for completing the hike, and it wasn't looking good for me to be able to finish, we dug out the satt phone and called me a ride to the hospital. About 22 square inches of 3rd degree burn....a good thing I didn't try to hike on it for four days! The pain is pretty brutal too, and we didn't have any Percocet (my new friend) with us either. [GRAPHIC PICTURE...]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Ankle_July18JPG.jpg

So, the morale of the story is: satt phones are a good thing and will be a part of my gear for any remote trip from now on. You never know what kind of little mishap might immobilize you, or threaten your life.

Now I just need this sucker to heal fast so that I can still make it on my stone sheep hunt in 3 weeks!!!

Cheers
4ster

FlyingHigh
07-18-2008, 06:36 PM
YOWCH!!!!! that's gotta smart! i hope you slapped your buddy around a bit. lol. best of luck on a speedy recovery. good call on the sat phone. *pardon the dumb pun*

Avalanche123
07-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Wow good luck with that injury. Three weeks might be pushing it though for a third degree burn in that area. I have a third degree burn on my entire right arm and it took much longer than that to heal.

Heres to a fast road to recovery for you!

Poguebilt
07-18-2008, 06:46 PM
change your dressings lots and look for signs of infections.... when and if you make your trip keep it wraped with something that won't rub too much on it.. it will be tender for a while...

Stone Sheep Steve
07-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Yikes!!:icon_frow

Hope it heals well for the upcoming hunting season. Burns can be a real biatch and slow to heal

We were too late getting a sat phone for our upcoming sheep hunt so I picked up a SPOT yesterday. My wife was all for me getting one:roll:. Friends have picked them up recently and they seemed to have worked out some of the early bugs. I mostly hunt alone locally so it should serve me well.

Get well soon!

SSS

riflebuilder
07-18-2008, 07:05 PM
damn that looks painful. Good luck and a speedy recovery.

bsa30-06
07-18-2008, 08:32 PM
hope its a speedy recovery,best of luck on your hunt........man that looks like it hurts.

BCrams
07-18-2008, 11:15 PM
oh mannnn ... that has gotta hurt. I am sure your buddy is feeling pretty bad about it as it is. Most of us probably are oblivious how quickly something can happen.

I have packed sat phones in the past with the exception of last year but now packing one of those SPOT things. 7 insurance will cover any 'rescue mission' but hopefully will never have to use it.

I hope your burns heal quick for your sheep hunt.

BlacktailStalker
07-18-2008, 11:28 PM
Oh man !!! Cringing just looking at that.
Best of luck healing for your sheep hunt.

Gateholio
07-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Oh man.....

I feel terrible for you!! :(

That looks really painful..The second pic looks like your leg is really swollen, too...

Take care of it, and hopefully the Dr.s have got some miracle cure for you. I've been pretty impressed with some modern medicine these days...You get a ride out in a chopper? Was it $$$$?

Also, I like how the first thing you did after soaking in the creek was to take a picture, probably thinking "The guys on the intraweb will want to see this":mrgreen:

Mr. Friendly
07-18-2008, 11:42 PM
wow. that's intense and shows how something crazy can happen and shtf. I've been mocked by a few people I know for having the desire to take a sat phone in the field (rental is about $200), just in case. it's always safer then sorry!

the new SPOT system is promising, but currently is has some reception issues and won't always get in touch with a satellite.

look for some products made with eucalyptus or melaleuca plants. the healing powers of those are phenomenal. :)

hunter1947
07-19-2008, 04:48 AM
Sorry to hear about you mishap sssster ,hop all is well in 3 weeks for your sheep trip.

I always thought of caring a satellite phone in a remote area ,now I can see why one should Carrie one if needed.

gone hunting
07-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Does anyone have any info on where to get and how much they cost, for sat phones and SPOT? I'm on the Island, in the Duncan area.

Avalanche123
07-19-2008, 09:46 AM
I believe a SPOT can be purchased for around $150.00 or so. If you do go with a SAT phone, I'd recommend the Meridian Sat Phones over the Globalstar. They are more expensive however the reception is superb compared to the GlobalStar. (I use one for work and it can take forever to get a Satellite.)

The SPOT technology seems to work well and I was suprised to hear someone had problems with one. I am sure they are sold at Vahalla in Victoria.

gone hunting
07-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Thanks. I'll look into the SPOT.

bigwhiteys
07-19-2008, 10:01 AM
That sucks big time... I know I'll think about that when I am boiling water up in the mountains this year!...

I too pack a SPOT -And have yet to have any issues with reception. Messages have consistently arrived within 5 minutes of me sending them.

Great little unit... Hopefully soon they will have one with the ability to send text messages back and forth soon.

SPOT can be had through London Drugs for $169.99 + $99.00 for activation, $7.95 for your "insurance" and another $49.00 for the tracking function.

Carl

Jetboat
07-19-2008, 11:10 AM
Sonovabeech that looks painful, ouch :-( Good thing you had some way to summon help. To speed healing, go with Aloe Vera fresh from the plant. Split open the blade to expose the gooey pulp, place directly on the wound. And keep it CLEAN. Try that on half the wound and modern ointments on the other. Guess which half will be healed and ready to head back to the mountains in short order? Best of luck.

CoqTrophys
07-19-2008, 11:31 AM
Outch! good luck on a speedy recovery for your upcoming hunt. How do i get my hands on a sat phone? are they in high demand for rent?

Deadshot
07-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Hi!
Long time lurker,first time poster.
That is one nasty burn! Hope you have a speedy recovery.
Big Whiteys, curious if the insurance fee & tracking function on the 'SPOT' is per month, annually or forever:shock:.

wolverine
07-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Damn, that's nasty. I knew a couple of guys who got burnt in a propane fire in their camper first day of their moose trip to the NWT. Long story short, they were lucky to get out alive let alone get out at all. I saw them a week after the mishap and two weeks later we went moose hunting together. Absolutely amazing what is done with burns now. The one guy was burnt worse than the other and had quite a few 3rd degree burns. Still, he was wrapped in that mesh burn dressing and had to change dressings three times a day but he still made it hunting. The cold seemed to bother his burns more than anything else. Best of luck to you with your burns and I hope you make your hunt. Take a Sat Phone though!

lineofsight
07-19-2008, 10:20 PM
Hope you are well healed (ankled?) before your trip.

No idea the circumstances under which you are hunting but certainly consider your ability to keep injury clear from infection. Be sure to test wound management plan (non-stick dressings and a good adhesive tape to seal edges) before trip so can see if works with boots/gators whatever and not allergic to the adhesives.

Photos a great way to document wound history, good thinking.

Did you give your friend a scolding afterwards or a boot full?

Best wishes.

Dad and son
07-20-2008, 08:14 AM
I have carried a globalstar with me for about 4 years now. It is nice to call home after a successful hunt and let the family know you are safe. It is also great to have. Two years ago I got stuck and did not have a winch. I called a tow truck and $500 later I was free. I now always have a winch and a phone. I also recently decided that I am going to start carrying the battery boost packs sold at Canadian Tire in case I every end up with a dead battery in my truck or quad. My quad is the Polaris 800 with no pull start so I worry that one time I will be 3-4 miles from camp and my quad will not start.

J_T
07-20-2008, 09:11 PM
SSSSter. I wondered where you had got to? Good thing your late season tree stand isn't too far into the bush and that the late season hunt is a sitting hunt. J**us, take care of that thing.

Vitamin E cream when the time comes.

hunter1947
07-22-2008, 05:12 AM
SSSSter how is the foot coming along ,can you give us a new update on the condition of it.

blackbart
07-22-2008, 09:17 PM
What kind of Sat phone did you have anyways? I hear that some are better than others. My ex sheep hunting pard told me about one that is better than the other :)!! Sounds like you may have followed that advice.

I also heard that if you go through 911 you will not be charged for any medi vac costs. Good to see our tax dollars being used for something usefull for once.

Maby the anti-biotics that you probably need will clear up any other foriegn virus's that you may have picked up in either Africa or during younger, more prolific years.

BCRiverBoater
07-22-2008, 10:01 PM
I always pack a sat phone now on all my trips. Of course for the fly in trips it is nice to call for the plane if you need out early or have a problem.

Also when I go on remote boat trips with only my boat I like to have the phone in case I break down. If I am with more than one boat then I do not always take one but the one year I did not take one the other boat broke down. Luckily another group came along 5 minutes later and they had a phone in camp. We flew in a part and had the boat running within 24 hours.

gone hunting
07-23-2008, 03:38 AM
Re; who pay the cost of the rescue. I was just talking to a couple of our ambulance helicopter pilots. They say, if you are sking out of bounds, or some other way of asking for trouble, you will likely get the bill. If you're acting responsibly, the gov't covers the cost. Thats the best I've got on the subject so far.

hunter1947
07-23-2008, 07:02 AM
I told the wife last year that I might get a satellite phone because I was going to be in the bush for 8 weeks ,she laughed at me and said WHY.

She said you have never had one before ,why spend the money on one now at your age ???.

I said it would just be nice to have one knowing that I will be in the bush buy myself for 3 weeks of the 8 weeks I am going to be in there.

It never evolved ,still don't have one :(.

Kody94
07-23-2008, 07:55 AM
What kind of Sat phone did you have anyways?

Irridium

I hear that some are better than others.

As mentioned above, Globalstar sucks at the moment. Their sattelites have gone down like flies and they are not able to replace them fast enough.

My ex sheep hunting pard told me about one that is better than the other :)!! Sounds like you may have followed that advice.

He sounds like a very smart, good looking fellow. :) I thought you guys were still sheep hunting partners....just not in 2.5 weeks! :p

I also heard that if you go through 911 you will not be charged for any medi vac costs. Good to see our tax dollars being used for something usefull for once.

Gawd I hope so. (1 A-star x 2.5 hrs) plus (1 long-line rescue dude x 2.5 hrs x double time) plus (1 cute RN girl x 2.5 hrs x double time) = near bankruptcy for 4ster!!

Maby the anti-biotics that you probably need will clear up any other foriegn virus's that you may have picked up in either Africa or during younger, more prolific years.

Excellent point. Unfortunately they have not prescribed antibiotics yet! They are very stingy. I guess they want to see if your immune system can lick 'em before they prescribe the drugs now. On the plus side, seems the Africa bugs are winning out over the new burn related bugs at the moment.... :)

Cheers,
4ster

Kody94
07-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Re; who pay the cost of the rescue. I was just talking to a couple of our ambulance helicopter pilots. They say, if you are sking out of bounds, or some other way of asking for trouble, you will likely get the bill. If you're acting responsibly, the gov't covers the cost. Thats the best I've got on the subject so far.

Thanks! That's consistent with what I am hearing too. Hopefully they consider wilderness camping to be a responsible activity. :)

Kody94
07-23-2008, 08:13 AM
SSSSter how is the foot coming along ,can you give us a new update on the condition of it.

H47, thanks for askin'. Its coming along, but slowly. Was looking like an infection was flaring up, but has not changed much in the last two days so still monitoring and not treating. Pain is minimal when at rest with foot elevated, but still excruciating when trying to move around....should probably be taking more pain meds then I am, but I am kinda stubborn that way.

For the not-faint-of-heart, here is a pic from two days ago (didn't get one yesterday but will this afternoon when the dressings are changed)...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Ankle_July21.jpg

The red within the wound is good, and is filling in slowly. I'd estimate about 60 dead: 40 regenerating skin as of yesterday.

Cheers,
4ster

Gateholio
07-23-2008, 08:19 AM
Glad to see you are keeping us posted with pics. This is an important part of the intraweb.:wink:

Can you even go to work?:confused:

srupp
07-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Hmmm I can add a few things..first I suspect you will NOT be going hiking with ANYTHING that will abrade that burn...even a dressing over it will pull the skin off...31 years as a Paramedic..

I am also a Canadian SPOT rep there is a seperate discussion re SPOT units.

S&R IS covered in BC for BC residents..MEDIVAC coverage is the same as a ground trip...recent changes in $$$$..I cant remember the exact cost..I will post once back to work on Friday..

You buy the unit and then pay the YEARLY fee...

Steven Rupp

Nalidixic
07-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Nice Pics!!! Gotta be painful.

Nalid

BiG Boar
07-24-2008, 07:51 AM
I say go hunting!!! I want more gruesome pics!

srupp
07-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Dave .......... be nice..........

Steven

Kody94
07-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Glad to see you are keeping us posted with pics. This is an important part of the intraweb.:wink:

Can you even go to work?:confused:

:)

Since I know at least you are enjoying these "gruesome" pictures Gates, here is one from this morning. The healing process is picking up some steam now... :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Ankle_July24.jpg

I expect tomorrow will look really good, as there is lots of "pink" coming in just below the surface today. After all the area is filled in with new cells, then they draw the skin in over top. Couple three weeks to go at least until that is complete.

SRUPP....in your experience/medical opinion, once the new skin completely covers the area, how long until it can withstand normal (hunting-wise anyway) abrasion? I am thinking moderate hiking with 10" boots and a couple layers of socks (liner/light wool)?

Cheers,
4ster

hunter1947
07-24-2008, 07:02 PM
H47, thanks for askin'. Its coming along, but slowly. Was looking like an infection was flaring up, but has not changed much in the last two days so still monitoring and not treating. Pain is minimal when at rest with foot elevated, but still excruciating when trying to move around....should probably be taking more pain meds then I am, but I am kinda stubborn that way.

For the not-faint-of-heart, here is a pic from two days ago (didn't get one yesterday but will this afternoon when the dressings are changed)...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Ankle_July21.jpg

The red within the wound is good, and is filling in slowly. I'd estimate about 60 dead: 40 regenerating skin as of yesterday.

Cheers,
4ster
Still looks bad ,I do see some healing going on in a few areas.

huntwriter
07-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Ouch! Seeing this pictures brings painful memories back from when scalded my foot with hot frying oil as a teenager. My foot looked just about the same as yours. Glad you’re healing well and I hope in a few weeks all will just be a bad memory.

There is a new product on the market called Spot. It’s like a GPS and phone all rolled into one. The device automatically via satellite connects to all rescue services. In an emergency all you need to do is press a button and rescue will be alerted. Rescue crews will be able to track your exact location. I have not tested the device yet, but people who have told be it’s the best device. It’s supposedly to work anywhere and anytime in the world.

Ambush
07-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I am also a Canadian SPOT rep there is a seperate discussion re SPOT units.

I asked the sales person at London drugs about Spot, but she was unsure about the messaging capabilities. Their website is not that clear either [to me]. Can I contact you?

Gateholio
07-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Chris, because of my profession, I'e seen lots of burns. Most times they are not as bad as yours, but I've sure seen them.

IMHO, you are doing the rigth thing by being careful. I recall when I was an apprentice, one chef burned his hand/wrist badly (he splashed a pan full of hot oil on himself)

he decided to tough it out, even after aDr. told him to not work and take it easy. He wasnt' the sharpest tool in the shed, IIRC. Drank too much, too....Because he didn't want to get the injury wet, he took to wearing a rubber glove at work. This caused his hand to sweat and fester and generally get very gross.

He ended up being forced to stop work because infection got to him, and REALLY screwed him up. He had to get an antibiotic IV drip, and was out for some time. I think his hand was permanently damaged.

Burns are some of the easiest surface injuries to get "complications" on, IMHO.

Are you getting a skin graft or something?

srupp
07-24-2008, 09:50 PM
stringfling ...yes you may contact me..PM...re SPOT

the burn is a very paculiar type of insult to the skin...pain..and tissue damage however infection can be your worst enemy...

If the burn was above your boots....different story it couldnt be worse for location..your age..any other medical issues ..as well a smoking or even alcohol consumption...

I would anticipate 2 months before it would be prudent to wear high hiking boots traversing the mountains...

The size and location make it a sure place to wear any new skin off by abraision through walking..

Steven

Th0r
07-24-2008, 09:59 PM
Wow! What a thread. Thanks for updating your story and I hope all goes well for you.

daycort
07-24-2008, 10:02 PM
4ster,

That sucks man. Glad all is well. I think you should be ready to go for a early October hunt..........

daycort

anglo-saxon
07-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Looks like you have some surface infection there. Pretty standard. Don't forget to keep her clean all the time.

Every time I get a wound, I pound back the vitamin C. Speeds up recovery.

Good luck with that war wound, mate!

Gateholio
07-24-2008, 10:17 PM
If the burn was above your boots....different story it couldnt be worse for location..your age..any other medical issues ..as well a smoking or even alcohol consumption...

Steven

4Ster

NO BEER FOR YOU!!

Man, that sucks....8)

huntwriter
07-25-2008, 08:39 AM
When I had my burn the doctor gave me a cream containing pure Aloe and vitamin E besides other ingredients. It worked really well, in fact it seemed that the burn healed faster than the one spot where the skin transplant was made. My doctors advised me to keep the wound exposed to air as much as possible during the day and keep the foot elevated.

Infections are common with burns and your last photo looks like what my burn looked like after a few days. The doc called it a “minor and very common infection” even with tons of antibiotics in my system. It takes a long time for the skin and cells to rebuild it self during which time the wound will feel hot at times and looks very red. This is part of the healing process (the body is working hard in that area to fix it).

On the third and tenth day I had so much pain that I barely could stand it, I was a young kid then. That too, according to the doctor is normal. The 3rd and 10th are where the system works extra hard to repair the damage and then to a lesser degree every 10th day.

Today my foot is normal with the exception that on long hikes I have to wear a little more padding otherwise I get a rub sore because the skin is thinner and tender on that foot.

Hope your healing continues without complications and that you're soon back on your feet.:smile:

BiG Boar
07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
I am waiting patiently for the latest update.......more pics please. I aint no doctor but I would say you got a case of tenderfoot. Try hiking in thong sandals, that way you got nothing touching it except weeds and stuff in the bush?

Kody94
07-31-2008, 02:25 PM
And I was just croppin' and resizin' a pic to share, since I knew at least Gatehouse would get a kick out of it (thats what the intraweb is for, right?) :)

Here is a pic from 2 hours ago....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Ankle_July31.jpg

The pain is significantly reduced, but the burning, tingling and ITCHING had increased a million-fold!!!

Am actually able to make short distances without crutches now, so that's awesome.

Am a loooong way from wearing anything other that thong-type sandals on that foot though.

Thanks for askin!

Cheers,
4ster

fozzy
07-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Yikes! Not sure how I missed this thread? That sucks being layed up this time of year. It looks better now than the first few pictures. Hopefully you can get out for some hunting this fall. Might not be sheep hunting 'till next year though?

Kody94
08-01-2008, 10:10 AM
4Ster

NO BEER FOR YOU!!

Man, that sucks....8)

Gates buddy...I know you'll understand how hard this has been -- I have not had a beer in over 2 weeks now! :cry:

This does really suck.

Cheers,
4ster

blackbart
08-01-2008, 07:40 PM
I am having a beer right now reading about SSSSter's misery.

Celebrating the first day of Stone season sitting in my basement and planning an alpine mulie hunt for Sept 1st.

Kody94
08-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Have an extra one for me, eh!

Cheers,
4ster

Bighorn hunter
08-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Do ciders count? I hope so cause I just had an extra one for you. heal fast, next sheep season will be here befor you know it.

bhh

44inchStone
08-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Well From what I have read from all the posts it seems like we all agree that SAT phones are a MUST!! My hunting buddy and myself were on a Flying moose/caribou trip. Of course the one year we didn't have a phone to take. My Globalstar was on the fritz and was awaiting a new Iridium.
After a bit of luck and both shooting great caribou and two moose over 56 inches we wanted to take a few more pics before the plane picked us up. Well my buddies moose had great fronts with 5 on each side with also long swooping backs.
His horns were sitting on the ground. I was ready to snap the picture so I told him to pick the horns up with both hands near the base. It would make for a great picture. When he finally lifted them up and I was jsut about to take the picture the horns swooped back on him, bringing the long tined fronts right at his face. He turned just in time to NOT get a tine in the eye but not quick enough to move out of not getting one of the tines in his ear. Yes his ear. OUCH
He dropped like a sack of potatoes. I first thought he either got it in the temple or his eye.
Saw the blood coming out of his ear. The only thing lucky about that was it did not go directly into the hole it hit just to the right and tore a big chunk of skin open.
Good thing for triple antibiotics. It could have been ALOT worse and with NO phone for help. On top of it all we were stranded in the mountains for an extra 5 days because of bad weather. It was a long painful 5 days for my buddy. Even being experience hunters and know the mountains very well, we all still learn valuable lessons. Don't leave home without it.!!!!

Mr. Friendly
08-02-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm glad it's getting better, 4ster. what does the doctor think of the healing to this point? going to suffer any scarring or should it heal up fairly nicely?