PDA

View Full Version : general info on moose in 7-38

ohotnik
07-18-2008, 11:15 AM
I was fortunate enough to be drawn for shared LEH moose hunt in region 7-38. Nobody from our group hunted in this particular area before and I am trying to gather as much info as possible - this info and maps are my share in the group:redface:... HBC is the best place where I can get some info prior to the hunt and I hope some of fellow hunters would be kind to share their valuable experience and answer some general questions:

we are still pretty flexible on dates and the first question: what is the prime rut time for that particular area? - I think something like Oct 4-11. Wrong?

Any access problems or any problems with locals?

What is the best way to reach the area?

Road conditions in October?

Any specific equipment, warnings or suggestions for that corner of the woods?

I was thinking to camp and hunt around Germinson (spelling?) Landing. Is this area good for moose? Any other suggestions where to start looking?

I am not looking for any specific "sweet" holes - just general ideas in order to avoid big mistakes and frustrations and enjoy hard earned hunt. Please PM if do not feel like go public.

Thank you in anticipation, fellow hunters.:razz:

BCrams
07-18-2008, 12:15 PM
A very good and easy gravel road right through to Germansen Landing.

Good moose hunting can be had going up the Omineca River with a jet boat and hunting one of the many 'moose meadows' off the river.

Good fishing up there as well.

More logging around Uslika Lake, north of Germansen though if you want to hunt cutblocks etc. Also more logging has occured east towards Williston Lake.

Very good moose hunting around a the huge wetland complex just east of Williston Lake (458547E 6165131N) but you will likely run into a few other moose hunters in there as it is popular.

Depending on where you want to hunt - if you want to hunt up Germansen way - your best bet would be to take the road right through Ft St James, and if you want to focus just west of Williston Lake, go up and turn in by Mackenzie.

Sitkaspruce
07-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Or you could go where very few others hunt and see lots of moose.:biggrin::mrgreen:

I PM'd you.

Cheers

SS

BCrams
07-18-2008, 12:24 PM
I guarantee Sitka's info will be very good. Your hunt is 'set'.

ohotnik
07-18-2008, 01:31 PM
Thank you guys! This site is great! I just went out for lunch and found so much info on the return! And you gave me a nice ecxuse to spend Friday evening over the maps with a couple of friends and lots of beer :-)

GoatGuy
07-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Or you could go where very few others hunt and see lots of moose.:biggrin::mrgreen:

I PM'd you.

Cheers

SS

I'm sure he's pointing you in the same direction as we hunt.

Very sound advice! :mrgreen:

Don't forget the fishing rods - not much to do after the moose is tipped over the first day.

ohotnik
07-18-2008, 08:27 PM
Sounds very promising. Can not wait...

hunter fisher
11-01-2015, 12:56 PM
digging up this old thread. how did this hunt turn out?