PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Sticks

Avalanche123
07-18-2008, 07:46 AM
Does anybody shoot the Alaskan Grizzly sticks? I am having a heck of a time trying to get mine tuned. In fact I am about ready to pack it in.

I am not really looking for advise, I am just curious to see if anyone else uses them and what you think.

Onesock
07-18-2008, 09:09 AM
What model do you have and how many lbs is your bow? I have thought about these but haven't bought any yet.

Avalanche123
07-18-2008, 04:17 PM
I have the Alaskan (Sitka is a lighter version) model. My bow is 61 lbs at my draw length.

I have heard both good and bad things about these arrows. I am in the process of trying to tune them with heavy broadheads (lots of weight FOC) to see how this works out.

I will fess up and say that they maybe over spined as I had them cut twice and may have over done it but we'll see.

My friend bought the Sitka and immediately broke three of them so their toughness is questionable too.

They don't recommend shooting these arrows into 3D targets as the carbon fibre cross hatching wears which IMO defeats the purpose if you can't practise with them.

I will likely end up switching brands and I am looking for a heavier carbon arrow. Any recommendations?

Bow Walker
07-18-2008, 08:36 PM
I'd recommend the Gold Tip CAA's at their 350 spine, or the GT 7595's both with a 125 grain point.

You could also consider the 5575's with 100 grain points if you're cutting the shafts down to around 27" - 28".

Both options will give you plenty of KE.

Avalanche123
07-18-2008, 09:03 PM
The Gold Tips were my first choice too. My broad heads (Grizzly El Grande) weigh in at 190 grains. In addition I was going to add 42 grain adaptors. Looks like the GT 7595 weigh 8.9 gra/inch so I should end up with an arrow at roughly 500 to 600 grains.

Just checking the Alaskan website and they now refer to the Grizzly stick has having EFOC (Extreme FOC)..hmmmm.

Bow Walker
07-19-2008, 09:17 PM
What the heck are you after, that you need a 600 grain arrow? I thought that the Sasquatch was just legend - or at least a mistaken sighting of Gatehouse.

Avalanche123
07-20-2008, 07:18 AM
LOL....If I am over spined adding more weight up front will help temper the issue. Or better yet, blame Dr. Ed Ashby! :)

Anyway my problem is not so much in the horizontal plane as it is vertically as the arrows porpoise. (Working with nock point now.)

Thanks.

Avalanche123
07-20-2008, 03:23 PM
I have different sets of arrows. I got the Grizzly Sticks for grizzly and moose. Lighter set up is for deer, sheep. goat.

Bow Walker
07-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Whew! ....and I thought you were a Big Game Hunter?!? I guess that means that Clarke is safe for a while.

You do know that there will be different P.O.I.'s for the different weight arrows, don't you? Yah, of course you do - silly me.

Onesock
07-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Nothing wrong with shooting a 600 gr. arrow 123. I shoot 600 gr arrows at 3-d shoots all the time as these are my hunting arrwos. If you shoot them all the time you will find your shooting adjusts to them and they fly as flat as any other arrow you become accustomed to shooting. I would, as BW stated, pick and arrow weight and "stick" with it.

J_T
07-20-2008, 09:04 PM
I agree with Onesock above. For years I shot a 750 gr arrow for hunting. I've only just recently come up with a new combo that is 640. I think too often if we are hunting, we place speed before weight.

greybark
07-22-2008, 09:00 PM
8)Hey A 123 , Your tuning problems just may originate in the fact that most of to-days recurves and some longbows the risers are slightly over centercut. For example several years ago at my first TBBC Championship I had the good fortune to be squaded with one of Canada`s finest gentleman and longbow enthusiast by the name of Ed Kellow . . He noticed the terrible flight of my arrows and proceded to build out my riser with two layers of styrocup held on with duct tape . Like magic my arrows flew great and I went from 12th to 2nd the next day . He explaned to me the centercut allowed the arrow to not load up properly and the archer`s paradox due to the arrow coming off your fingers did not or only partly occur . By inducing archers paradox the arrow naturaly bends around the riser and several things happen , -- more energy is transferred to the arrow and you get slighty better speed -- quieter bow --and the arrow and bow are on a more true point resulting in better accurcey.
If your bow is in this centershot catagory , No amount of arrow weights or spines will result in great flying arrows untill you build out your riser .!!!!!!!!
Hope this helps , If not pm me for my ph#
Cheers

Bow Walker
07-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Now that is very interesting greybark. Just another example of information that is picked up here on HBC. Thanks, I'll tuck that one away for sure.

greybark
07-23-2008, 08:38 AM
:-D Hey BW , Nice to hear from you . Another example of this is - Ed`s hunting partner bought a 21st Century Longbow (modern) and had a terrible time getting good arrow flight . When Ed built out the riser the bow got good flight even with bare shafted arrows
Cheers..

Avalanche123
07-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks for that Greybark....It seems like my arrows porpose as opposed to kick left or right. Could the riser still be the cause of this?

I will pay closer attention to detail tonight when I shoot.

Mooseman
07-23-2008, 02:01 PM
Avalanche123, Did you try to move your knock boint up?

I just had that problem with a client in camp. We could not belive how high we had to go in order to get his new arrows to fly.

We also had to work on his bowshelf. Put at the bottom part. A toothpick and a smoother surface fixed that. He had a sticky warn out leather with no high point on his riser and the arrows had a heck of a time to take off that.

The Grizzly Sticks are beeing used a lot and I watch guys shoot them in camp like darts.....

greybark
07-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Hey A123 , Mooseman is right reference moving the nock pointon your bow string for porpoising arrows . Simpy put, doing this basicly finds the neutral point on the bow string as dictated by the tiller of the bow and finger placement on the string .
Cheers and "Up With The Mooseman"

Avalanche123
07-23-2008, 07:01 PM
I will check my bowshelf as it has seen alot of arrows across it. What is strange though is my ligher arrows shoot really well.

I will check my nock point too as that is easy to adjust as well.

Interesting to hear others are shooting these arrows well. I have read various accounts of "either you love em' or you hate em'....

Thanks again.

Mooseman
07-23-2008, 07:14 PM
I shoot the carbon express and PO cedar. Both fly great the only difference is that the woodies are quiet when they leave the shelf. The carbons slap when they leave the bow. But hey, the moose don't jump strings.