PDA

View Full Version : where do you go during open spike fork moose hunting?

Mr. Friendly
07-17-2008, 06:52 PM
the entire reason I've gone and gotten my PAL and CORE was to hunt moose. best meat on earth. I'm hoping that by the time the season comes, perhaps I will be confident enough in shooting that I can accompany a seasoned hunter and perhaps take the shot, should it present itself.

that said, I'm not quite looking for the seasoned hunter, but I am wondering about the better area's to do this hunt. I'm from Kamloops, so you know the 'range' I'm in. of course, I'm not adverse to anyone volunteering to let me tag along with them on a moose hunt, even if I'm not qualified to take a shot, just so I can get some 'field' experience. :D

if anyone doesn't feel comfortable saying out loud a popular zone they go to for fear or wrecking it, please consider PM'ing me. anything you say to me will be held in the strictest of confidence! :)

Hagen
07-17-2008, 06:57 PM
usually to work monday to friday....:frown:...gotta make some changes....

ryanb
07-17-2008, 06:59 PM
Spike forks are hard to come by. Very few people purposely hunt them. Most just buy a moose tag and hope to see one when hunting other stuff.

If moose is what you want, you'd be better to head to region 6 or 7b for a true bull moose open season.

Blainer
07-17-2008, 07:07 PM
Best advise I can give you,is PM Jelvis.
He seems to be king of the hill in that neighbourhood,
Good luck.

Mr. Friendly
07-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Best advise I can give you,is PM Jelvis.
He seems to be king of the hill in that neighbourhood,
Good luck.
I already have! :D

can't say I asked him anything about where to go for moose tho.

and that's an interesting comment about not many hunting forked bulls. I can't comment on how many actually go out and do that, but word from a seasoned moose hunter is there's a 75% success rate for those that do go.

the Barrier/Clearwater region is supposed to be very good for this. :)

of course, I need to learn...and learn a lot!! :shock:

Jelvis
07-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Jelvis here the region 3 hunter ready to help others especially hunting in Kammy area. Spike/forkers in the area. Well have you got a truck? What do you use for hunting vehicle type? Spike/forks near Kamloops
mu 3-19 check regs--> Helmer Lake area and McConnall L
mu 3-20 From Monte Lake in west toward Mt Bullman area. Spike/forks bull moose good odds. One more mu 3-28 up Jamieson Creek turn up towards Brown and Bob Creek some in thar> good/luck Jel-in-kammy-<

huntwriter
07-17-2008, 09:38 PM
I try for a spike moose here in region 3 this year but it is not my priority. We have seen a few spikes last year but I did not have a tag for it. This year I will have a tag and if I happen to run into one it will get a ride in the back of my truck.

todbartell
07-17-2008, 09:41 PM
75% success rate on spike/fork bulls? :mrgreen:

bighornbob
07-18-2008, 09:24 AM
75% success rate on spike/fork bulls? :mrgreen:

I have to agree with Tod on this one. Maybe 75% success on killing one once one is seen but finding one is the question. Basically its a odds thing.
I have read somewhere that of all the yearing bulls (first year with antlers) only about 20-30% (or something like that) of them will be a 2 point or less.

So for arguments sake, say 1/3 of the animals will be calves (the other 2/3 are bulls and cows). Of all those calves only half are bulls and of that half only 20-30% will be 2 points or less.

So if you start out with 100 moose, 34 will be calves, 17 will be yearling bulls and about 4-5 will be 2point or less.

So you can see why some guys have never seen one.

Based on that, your best bet is hunt them where you see the most moose.

BHB

07-18-2008, 09:36 AM
BHB is being realistic. Same with ryanb, the region 7 thing certainly ups the odds on bagging a bullwinkle.
Jelvis, where do you get those ## ??
I have been hunting for over 35 years, seen some great country all over this beautiful province. Shot 20 + bull moose, and ......only 2 have been 2pt. or less bulls. That said I'm not passing them up either, spike and 2 pts. are not over populating our forest like the pine beetle, just get out and try your best thats all you can do, you will notice when trying to ID a small bull many are 3, 4, or 5pts. Good luck !
Just calling it like it is.
C/T

Fisher-Dude
07-18-2008, 12:32 PM
Go to Clearwater for spike/forks - I heard they were like an infestation of rats up there, and the locals want them shot. Or something like that.:roll:

I've killed one since they brought spike/fork season in - and it was a 38" 2x5. And I hunt them hard all season. If I expected to harvest a spike/fork, I'd be very disappointed.

4 point
07-18-2008, 01:29 PM
2 pointers are hard to find. The more time spent in the bush your odds will only go up ever so slightly. Most hunters probably just "run into them" while out hunting other game. Buy a moose tag for what it costs and who knows while looking for deer you might spot one. We always see cows & calves or larger bulls only available by LEH rules, so to see & take a 2 point would be wonderful.

Mr. Dean
07-18-2008, 01:37 PM
You're better off hunting deer and carrying a moose tag "just in case". Or go hunt a 10 point.

Really.

grizzly_taker
07-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Spike forks are hard to come by. Very few people purposely hunt them. Most just buy a moose tag and hope to see one when hunting other stuff.

If moose is what you want, you'd be better to head to region 6 or 7b for a true bull moose open season.

Very few people unless you live in the central interior....I don't have an leh for any bull, yes I will be purposely out htere hunting them, along with a lot of other local residents from Mcbride to Fraser Lake!!!!! I lived and hunted there for 20 years, I have killed lots of 2 point bulls. Guess i'm living in immature moose heaven!

Mr. Dean
07-18-2008, 03:07 PM
Very few people unless you live in the central interior....I don't have an leh for any bull, yes I will be purposely out htere hunting them, along with a lot of other local residents from Mcbride to Fraser Lake!!!!! I lived and hunted there for 20 years, I have killed lots of 2 point bulls. Guess i'm living in immature moose heaven!

Reliably each season as a primary hunt, or is a spike moose a secondary tag?

jml11
07-18-2008, 03:45 PM

I agree. I go out for 2 points all the time and have been fairly successful. My first year living in PG and hunting I saw 4 bulls. Three were 2 points but I failed to get one...rookie...The very next year I shot one on September 10th, opening day, the next year my hunting buddy got one the 11th of september and I got one thanksgiving weekend. They were the only two bulls we saw that year.

In the PG area there are quite a few, more than people think there are. My MoE friends who conduct the Moose counts in December regualry see dozens of two-points which made it through the hunting season. Often in bachelor groups of 2-3.

While I am saying there are lots around, they are still somewhat elusive and you are fortunate to come across one. I do consider myself lucky to have killed a few in my short hunting career. I will be going out looking for one soon enough and do expect to find him.

Caveman
07-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Spike forks are hard to come by. Very few people purposely hunt them.

I purposely hunted them for years and was very successful, but actually tired of them wanting to get a big bull. I didn't get a draw this year so I may be out there looking again. I'd love to put my son in front of one this year. Many areas in the Kamloops area that can be productive. My best advise would be find the cows early and stick to that area. The spikes hang out with their mothers and can be found with them usually until the big bulls push them off but they don't go far. Patience as well pays off. Many times I've seen guys in one of my favorite haunts and they race in and out, don't see anything so they're gone. If you see sign stick close, it's only a matter of time.

Caveman
07-18-2008, 09:01 PM

Primary hunt, and carried a deer tag in case I came across a nice four point. I've taken 13 spike/fork in various forms over the years. I think they are drawn to me. I took my first trip into the Caribou, McKinley Lake I believe and took a 2x3 and my first trip into Chetwyn, I took a 2x2 and one in PG as well. The rest at home. MrFriendly, PM me and I can point you in a good direction, where you may have some luck. Close to home for day trips

Ambush
07-18-2008, 09:40 PM
I to can claim at least a dozen spike\forks. Never did well with LEH and I used to like moose hunting. I used to see a lot of moose butts, just before they took off. One weekend hunting with climbing spurs changed all that.

When I saw or heard a moose, I would climb the nearest tree. Often they would be 100 yards off, just looking back

We built several really high tree stands. With a spotting scope and a rifle zeroed for 250 yards little moose became a worth while pursuit. I shot one moose that other hunters were sure was a cow. To identify immatures you need time and good optics.

This tactic works best in slashes that have grown tall enough to provide cover. The moose are still there, you just can't see them from the ground.

hunter1947
07-19-2008, 04:54 AM
7-35 is a good area for fork moose hunting ,I saw 2 in that region a few years ago when I was hunting the area.

mntman
07-19-2008, 07:14 AM
find the cows and you will find the spikes, they will always never be far away. I've hunted spikes all through the province with good results

riflebuilder
07-19-2008, 02:15 PM
I will be hunting the Paliser River in 4-25 cause I got lucky and drew a Bull moose tag. So spike fork or tri palm it is going into my freezer. good luck to all of you hunting in the GOS hunts.

MOWITCH SLAYER
07-19-2008, 04:30 PM
try 3-29 Criss creek or Deadman river area, I have not hunted there latley but it was good moose country 10 years ago. And there is always Adam's lake area. If you want a moose go at it hard , you'll be suprized how many small bull's are out there. I hunt in a group of six guy's, in the last 5 years we have taken a least one fork horn each of those years . but we are out there looking every weekend from dawn to dusk

grizzly_taker
07-20-2008, 12:35 PM
I'm a primary hunt, I should also inform that my occupation was logging, so I was scouting all summer at work and traveling back and fourth!

grizzly_taker
07-20-2008, 12:37 PM
find the cows and you will find the spikes, they will always never be far away. I've hunted spikes all through the province with good results
Just another side note...in all my years of hunting moose. I would cow call to bring out a big bull, then sit and watch the tree line behind him, lots of time there will be a small bull hanging back a couple hundred yards!

talver
07-20-2008, 03:40 PM
hunt the later part of the the season and find the cows the smaller bulls will be hanging around the cows my 2 cents

Mckinney Creek Adventures
07-27-2008, 04:41 PM
I have hunted specifically for spike/forks since 2002, and have killed one every year but one. Exactly what others have said... Find the cows and you will find them. I have shot one tailing hard on a bawling cow, shot one in a group with a big bull and cow doing there thing. 2006, I run into a pair of them, and took the first one that presented a shot.

Find the moose, put in your time, and you have good chances. Try to find where the are spending alot of courting time.

MCA

ratherbefishin
07-27-2008, 05:24 PM
I think a local guy who can get out fairly often may have a better chance at a spike/fork-but for me moose hunting is a one week proposition.One thing I'd really like to find out though is are the moose populations so far down from where they were when we had open bull seasons they actually have to have LEH on moose?We only have about half the hunters now than we had then-so either the moose populations have severely declined-or we don't need LEH.I can call in bulls-but have only drawn 2 LEH ''any bull'' tickets in over 10 years-and in reasonably low odds areas .What am I missing here?

CanuckShooter
07-29-2008, 08:51 AM
I think a local guy who can get out fairly often may have a better chance at a spike/fork-but for me moose hunting is a one week proposition.One thing I'd really like to find out though is are the moose populations so far down from where they were when we had open bull seasons they actually have to have LEH on moose?We only have about half the hunters now than we had then-so either the moose populations have severely declined-or we don't need LEH.I can call in bulls-but have only drawn 2 LEH ''any bull'' tickets in over 10 years-and in reasonably low odds areas .What am I missing here?

The moose populations are not down....IMHO we don't need the LEH other than to protect the number of larger bulls available for the guide outfitters.

Jelvis
07-29-2008, 09:16 AM
I just drove in from Merritt area to Kamloops and the Helmer Lake area to Nicola and Logan lake. A huge amount has been logged a while back for beetle kill, it looks great around that area for hunting now. Helmer Lake and radius from Exit 315 should be great for moose and mule deer. Jelvis.

blackbart
07-29-2008, 08:29 PM
I agree with most of the advice regarding spikes/forks being found with the cows. I have also noticed that with the rut they tend to get pushed away from their mothers and seem somewhat lost for a little while.

Some advise for a new hunter (or any hunter for that matter) - if in doubt concerning legality, don't shoot. Take some extra time to glass the animal and ensure that it is in fact legal. If you do not shoot, you will always have the memory of being a true hunter. Sometimes trying to confirm that an animal is small enough to be legal is far more difficult than trying to ensure that it is large enough.

One other piece of advice. If you do manage to bag an immature bull that is still hanging out with a cow, keep a close eye on the cow prior to getting to the work. I shot a fork bull a couple of years ago, who's mother rushed me a few times while I was trying to butcher her falling yearling.

Good luck in your pursuit.

SUAFOYT
07-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Just another side note...in all my years of hunting moose. I would cow call to bring out a big bull, then sit and watch the tree line behind him, lots of time there will be a small bull hanging back a couple hundred yards!

Agreed. Lived that very moment a few years ago.

peterrum3
07-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Some advise for a new hunter (or any hunter for that matter) - if in doubt concerning legality, don't shoot. Take some extra time to glass the animal and ensure that it is in fact legal. If you do not shoot, you will always have the memory of being a true hunter. Sometimes trying to confirm that an animal is small enough to be legal is far more difficult than trying to ensure that it is large enough.

Ran into that situation last year with my hunting partner. We jumped a small bull at the side of the road as we were driving and he ran into an area where the trees were about 10' tall. As he was running we both thought that he was a fork bull but we were only 95% sure. I got out of the truck and cow called, he came back and stuck his nose out between two Christmas trees. He was there for about two minutes and neither of us could see his rack because of the branches. He was only 50 yards away and we had him scoped right between the headlights. Neither of us was 100% sure during that 2 minutes even with good binos on him. Then he turned and headed for the next county. My hunting partner and I had a good chat about what we did not do and we were disappointed as we were almost positive that he would have been legal for us. Almost isnt good enough though.