PDA

View Full Version : scent for moose hunting

chris
07-17-2008, 05:54 PM
So who here uses scent while moose hunting? I was at Hubs today and I picked up some of the incence sticks that are supposed to attract moose but I was wondering if anyone actually uses them or any other scent "stuff" while out they're looking for moose.
thanks for any replies
Chris

newhunterette
07-17-2008, 06:26 PM
have never used scent for hunting - try blocking scents - hunting gear is always washed in no scent wash and stored in a container with dirt blocks - when we wear them we usually rub pine needles over us as well

just some tips we have used for moose hunting

pupper
07-17-2008, 07:04 PM
I use mare in heat urine bottle in quebec. NO Lie. I really use this bloody horse urine. you can buy it at big game archery 859-2086.
I have not find the scent sticks to work for any game personally. but you could also try elk scent wafers.

Blainer
07-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Peanutbutter behind the ears.

K-1
07-17-2008, 07:18 PM
I have used the sent sticks and they are a waste of $ as far as I'm concerned. Also used 'Lucy Moosey" (Wally Mart) & a few of the ones that smell like horse piss. Try the H.P. ones they worked on 2 bulls for us.

M.Dean
07-17-2008, 08:01 PM
I use a mix of gas, oil,quad fumes, sweat and cigarette smoke, seems to work fairly well for me. I myself don't use scents but people i know do and swear by them, so each to there own!

Stresd
07-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Been using Cruex. But for some reason it only attracts Flatheads.:-?

Avalanche123
07-17-2008, 08:04 PM
I tried the scent sticks, waste of time LOL. I haven't tried any of the scents though, doubt I will

moosecaller
07-17-2008, 08:06 PM
I have not used anything on moose. I have been upwind; downwind; and any wind between and have had moose come in, at the right time of the year or maybe they were just too curious. Sometimes they will bolt and snort at other times they will not can never tell whats on their mind. If you get some confidence from using whatever then by all means do it. I have never found the need. I usually can get a couple of dozen to come in to the call in a season without lure regardless of the wind so this works for me. Who knows it may be the new way of doing things or just a money grab. The horse stuff sounds like it may work I was on a mare once and had a lovesick bull follow us for a long way, at times less than 10 yards behind us, grunting all the time, had me a bit worried.

thatskindafunny
07-17-2008, 08:13 PM
I've always said that the best scent is no scent.

wolverine
07-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Horse piss and a lovesick cow call. Right time of year it FM. (f@#*$& magic!)

Dr.Phil.

tomahawk
07-17-2008, 10:02 PM
I took the full bladder of a bull moose in heavy rut that I had harvested, bottled it, stuck a sprayer on it and used it for several years as a cover for my scent. Worked real well but my partners didn't let me in the camper until I changed clothes. Did it work? Hell ya, I had several moose and a pack of wolves within 11 yds of my arrow tip so it did the job.

newhunterette
07-17-2008, 10:25 PM
scent - http://www.gunandgame.com/forums/images/smilies/fart.giffor moose

sorry couldn't resist for once

BigBanger
07-17-2008, 11:28 PM
I like beer farts and a wee bit of puke . This hasent worked in the bush but sure works in the bars in Surrey .

Hoytster
07-18-2008, 12:03 AM
yup...the moose in rut urine works good...tried it myself but its pretty smelly on the clothes....I freeze it, take it out when needed and spray it on leaves....

CanuckShooter
07-19-2008, 07:23 AM
We tried the 'elk' incense sticks.....the elk couldn't have cared less but the bull moose came to them on several occassions? This was during the last 2 weeks of September in 7-21.

Blk Arrow
07-19-2008, 08:02 AM
I have only used moose urine on 2 occassions, without any results. However, 1 old timer I know swears by it in combination with cow calling. He places drops in leaves that will hold the liquid and then calls at the end of the scent line.

I am not a fan of wearing cow moose urine. It smells bad and I have reservations about applying moose flavouring to my body. :-D

wolverine
07-19-2008, 08:54 AM
I have only used moose urine on 2 occassions, without any results. However, 1 old timer I know swears by it in combination with cow calling. He places drops in leaves that will hold the liquid and then calls at the end of the scent line.

I am not a fan of wearing cow moose urine. It smells bad and I have reservations about applying moose flavouring to my body. :-D

Smells bad? .... uh yeah it does! I don' spray it on myself though. I'll hangs some scent waifers soaked in it and keep some in a spray bottle and mist it into the wind. I find a little goes a long way. Sometime unavoidable to get some of the spray on you but it keeps you from licking you lips or biting your nails! The spray alone is one thing but if you know how to call like a lovesick cow and have done your scouting, rut time is magic!

Avalanche123
07-19-2008, 09:30 AM
but if you know how to call like a lovesick cow and have done your scouting, rut time is magic!

Sometimes your call can be kinda lame and it still works. Nothing gets the heart going like the sound of a "small freight train" coming at you through the bush.

I have not hunted elk yet but I imagine the experience is similar.

My friends did pour elk scent on them one time and were nearly pounced on by a cougar. They attributed it to the fact they were cow calling and smelling very elkish....(they were bowhunting too.)

I've used scent wafers for deer hunting with mixed results. My preference is to not use them.

Viking
07-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Channel No. 5 when hunting for bulls and Axe when hunting for cows.

Schmaus
07-19-2008, 12:44 PM
I have used cow in heat urine a few times I don't know if it helped but I got a bull. I just dab it on some trees near me, I don't think I could bring myself to put it on myself :) But as Moosecaller said I have called moose in with the wind blowing right at them, not using anything but stale beer breath.

greybark
07-19-2008, 01:06 PM
:???: Wow , To those who put scent on their person . How in the hell do you think Grizzly and other predators find their prey !!!!!!!
Cheers