PDA

View Full Version : Do you have any LEH authorizations - but do not plan on using it?

BCrams
07-17-2008, 10:33 AM
I will post up this poll as anonymous to avoid any 'verbal bashing' so to speak.

Just for the sake of interest.

(I really need to hit the mountains for sheep......)

Stresd
07-17-2008, 11:06 AM
How come 3 is the limit. If a hunting group counts, our regular Moose group, will not come anywhere near using all of our authorization. It was explained in an early post of mine the why's of how this came about

BCrams
07-17-2008, 11:14 AM
its greater than three >

bigwhiteys
07-17-2008, 11:35 AM
I only put in for game I am committed to hunting... Sheep, Island Elk and Grizz. If drawn for one of these you bet I am going hunting 100%.

Carl

Avalanche123
07-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Well I intend to use my one draw, whether or not I am successful or not is an entirely different matter LOL.

colt52
07-17-2008, 11:46 AM
I put in for moose, elk, and grizz. I take some of my hollidays at that time and if I get a draw I'm there!:)

Maxx
07-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I will post up this poll as anonymous to avoid any 'verbal bashing' so to speak.

Just for the sake of interest.

(I really need to hit the mountains for sheep......)

NO KIDDING you need to hit those mountains, you seem stir crazy...:razz:

Stone Sheep Steve
07-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Hey "Pole Boy" !!:-P

I plan on using all my LEH's this year even though my holiday requests are "rocking the boat":smile:!! Good thing the harvest is looking like it's going to be waaaaaay later than normal.

I've been guilty in the past of not utilizing my late season goat draws but it has always been my partner(s) that have bailed.

SSS

ruttinbuck
07-17-2008, 12:48 PM
I have 3 draws this year all on the same hunt.I have prioritized them so I will be hunting them in order.Decision will be made what happens if i see #3 first.RB

CHilko21
07-17-2008, 01:34 PM
I've spent the last week waiting on a phone call for work...you wanna talk about stir crazy! I can't wait for my LEH draw, I'll be spending all avaliable time chasing moose

BiG Boar
07-17-2008, 01:39 PM
you know what I dont like is people who get our draws with out the real intent to use them, if youre like probably busy but there's a chance you your gf might die and you will be allowed to go, then dont apply! I want my GRIZ draw!!!! GRRRRR

islandboy
07-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Still trying to locate the wary NILdebeast. :shock:

bsa30-06
07-17-2008, 03:41 PM
I fully intend to make the best effort possible to fill both my LEH's .....Even if i have to pack that moose out piece by piece by myself.I would never apply for a draw i dont intend to hunt.

SAVAGE300
07-17-2008, 04:09 PM
got 2 draws on the mainland this year, but not going as for the fuel cost and ferry, all of us BC,ers should apply weather we go or not to keep the G,O from getting the animals in the future, besides I always get my 2 nice bucks here on the rock close to home

peterrum3
07-17-2008, 04:11 PM
Finally got my moose draw for where I live. Been trying to get this one for 10 years. There is no way i am going to miss it. Got 6 weeks off work here in Africa and going home to hunt 5 out of the 6 weeks. The other week is for house chores but those get done after the freezer is full.

springpin
07-17-2008, 05:09 PM
I am going to use my moose tag. If I tag one great, if I don't I just explored some new territory.

mainland hunter
07-17-2008, 05:50 PM
I'll use my moose tag for sure and will use my whitetail with the bow just cause i havent got nothin with a bow before, I drew a second choice mulie that i'll only use if my season has sucked up to late november and I desperately need some meat

ElectricDyck
07-17-2008, 06:14 PM
I drew a goat tag close to home that I will use all my available time till oct 31st when it closes trying to fill. I also drew a shared moose and a muley doe in 5 -2 nov 1st to 15th that we are committed to one week trying to fill. I also drew the private land elk in peace in dec- feb which I'm thinking I probably won't go on, mainly because we hopefully will have the freezers full with moose. If I knew we would get the moose tag I wouldn't have applied for the elk, it's hard to plan when you don't what you'll get or if you'll get anything at all.

I think the real issue is when people apply for sheep or other similar hunts that are other people's life long dreams, draw the tag and don't respect the chance they've been given. Or don't do any research about where they are applying until after they've been drawn and are not prepared for the hunt and subsequently don't go or exert the same effort another person who's been applying for years would. My thoughts anyway.

steel_ram
07-17-2008, 06:46 PM
Hopefully everyone applies for draws they intend on hunting, but stuff happens. Families, jobs, sickness gets in the way. Not everyone can live with screwed up priorities.

ryanb
07-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Even with the best intentions, some people just get more draws than they can use in one year...unless you only put it for what you can hunt if you get them ALL, and I doubt many people kill their chances like that. I got a goat, doe and moose 2 years ago, and never got to the moose because by the time November came around I couldn't afford to take any more time off.

When the odds are tough, no one counts on getting all or most of their draws...but it happens.

tufferthandug
07-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Before I had kids I applied for everything, accept doe draws.

Now with 2 kids I apply for Moose and Sheep. I could do both but not more.

mark
07-17-2008, 07:02 PM
got 2 draws on the mainland this year, but not going as for the fuel cost and ferry, all of us BC,ers should apply weather we go or not to keep the G,O from getting the animals in the future, besides I always get my 2 nice bucks here on the rock close to home

I dont agree, if your not intending on using them, dont apply!!!! Theres plenty of other hunters getting NIL mail that would of been happy to have the opportunity!

My buddy last year got a coveted sheep draw, a bison draw, and a great goat draw! He put all his time in on the sheep and sealed the deal, then said the heck with the goat and bison, not really fair to others that would of loved the chance! IMO :neutral:

Stresd
07-17-2008, 07:38 PM
I dont agree, if your not intending on using them, dont apply!!!! Theres plenty of other hunters getting NIL mail that would of been happy to have the opportunity!

My buddy last year got a coveted sheep draw, a bison draw, and a great goat draw! He put all his time in on the sheep and sealed the deal, then said the heck with the goat and bison, not really fair to others that would of loved the chance! IMO :neutral:

Thats one of the problems with LEH. If you dont apply you can't get. A lot of people enter as many species as they can on the hopes that they might get lucky and get just one draw. All they want is something. Then the shiit hits the fan when they end up with authorizations coming out of their ying yang.:-(

Mr. Dean
07-17-2008, 09:26 PM

DUDE!
You need to go out and kill them animals in order to keep the allocation. Drawing a tag doesn't do a damn thing. If we don't harvest, the G/O WILL get the allocation.

Avalanche123
07-17-2008, 09:31 PM
DUDE!
You need to go out and kill them animals in order to keep the allocation. Drawing a tag doesn't do a damn thing. If we don't harvest, the G/O WILL get the allocation.

Pardon my ignorance but how does the MOE even know if the LEH draw was utilized or not? I sometimes get questionaires from them but they do not cover off all my LEH species.

Does buying the actually tag keep the allocation? Can you shed some light on this for me?

Thanks.

Wild one
07-17-2008, 10:26 PM
For those who do not try and fill your draws I am planning on tacking up voodoo to curse you so you never get another draw agian.I think you are slapping your fellow hunters in the face every time you sit at home wasting a draw.That draw could have been a kids chance at his/her first trip or harvest.I will never wast a draw as long as I am healthy a nuff to put in the effort.I did not apply for sheep or goat this year because I did not no if my leg could do it.So do your fellow hunter a favor don't apply unless you plan on putting in an effort to hunt that animal.

coach
07-17-2008, 10:55 PM
I put in for draws that I really wanted to get: early moose draw in region 6, grizzly in region 6, Bison, Elk in region 7 and sheep in region 8. It would have been possible for me to do all of these hunts, had I been successful. At the last minute, I put in for a mulie doe in a part of region 3 that I like to hunt in the late 4 point season and a whitetail doe near my home in Vernon. I wound up getting both doe draws. Because I didn't get the draws I really wanted (and will have more time to hunt near home), there is a very good chance I will get a whitetail buck in region 8 and a mulie buck and doe in region 3. This means there is very little chance I will use my whitetail doe draw (besides I can hunt the same area with bow during archery season). The only reason I put in for this draw was because of the chance I wouldn't get the mulie doe draw. I really wanted a "gimme" deer draw so that I could take my daughter on the hunt. On one of these threads, someone mentioned the idea of being able to give back the draws you are unlikely to use. If this was possible, I would do this. It seems to me that the system needs to be tweaked. I am grateful to have two successful draws, but totally sympathize with those who didn't get anything and would be happy to have one of mine.

spock
07-18-2008, 09:27 PM
I put down 4-07 as second choice on my whitetail doe draw, 8-1 was my first. I got the 4-07 draw, I also got a bull moose draw around prince george so I probably won't be going after the doe. I don't feel bad about it because the first choice odds for the 4-07 draw were 0.7:1, so everyone that wanted that as a first choice got it.

hunter1947
07-19-2008, 05:02 AM
Lets get real ,all that don't plan on using a tag should not apply for it ,you cancel others hunts you got picked for to hunt with one that is a better draw for you ,I don't except that at all.

If your not going to hunt an LEH draw then don't apply ,let others that want to hunt get a Chance to get picked.

brotherjack
07-19-2008, 03:24 PM
In my case, I have a late season whitetail doe LEH. Due to the bag limiting of the EK (2 deer total), I expect that I will probably already be tagged out on deer (whitetail buck + mulie buck) before the LEH season starts. I'm not going to skip early-season hunting just because I have a late season LEH, after all. So, it's not that I don't plan on using it, I'm just expecting I'll be tagged out on deer before it comes around.

pupper
07-19-2008, 03:32 PM
excuse me, people are applying for draws they cannot or dont intend to use? what the hell are you thinking. All the NIL hunters are sh*tt*ng bricks because of that?

steel_ram
07-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Some people can't guarantee holidays unless they book them in the spring. LEH is not a sure thing and comes out to late! Jobs, families etc. take priority.

Avalanche123
07-19-2008, 03:44 PM
In my case, I have a late season whitetail doe LEH. Due to the bag limiting of the EK (2 deer total), I expect that I will probably already be tagged out on deer (whitetail buck + mulie buck) before the LEH season starts. I'm not going to skip early-season hunting just because I have a late season LEH, after all. So, it's not that I don't plan on using it, I'm just expecting I'll be tagged out on deer before it comes around.

Interesting situation. Just out of curiosity, did you apply for this tag in the event you did not tag out?

For those that wanted a late season whitetail doe tag, is there a reason why they can't also tag out in the GOS? What is the attraction of this tag?

Avalanche123
07-19-2008, 03:48 PM
excuse me, people are applying for draws they cannot or dont intend to use? what the hell are you thinking. All the NIL hunters are sh*tt*ng bricks because of that?

Pupper, does it depend on the draw? If someone wasn't going to use a bison or some other hard to get draw I could see getting excited however something that is under subscribed is less significant, is it not?

I did ask earlier what happens to unused draws but never did get an answer.

brotherjack
07-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Interesting situation. Just out of curiosity, did you apply for this tag in the event you did not tag out?

For those that wanted a late season whitetail doe tag, is there a reason why they can't also tag out in the GOS? What is the attraction of this tag?

Yeah, the late season WT doe tag is kind of like insurance for something in the freezer if things don't turn out so well earlier in the year. I am probably (for the first time ever) going to make at least a vague effort to hold out for a big-ish buck, knowing that if late Nov rolls around and the freezer is still bare, that WT doe LEH is a slam-dunk.

Avalanche123
07-19-2008, 05:16 PM
Thanks Brotherjack....I was just curious where you were coming from.

I suspect a number of deer LEHS are applied for using this rational.

muzzy
07-19-2008, 05:25 PM
My elk draw in the W. Kootenays is not going to be used, too much other stuff happening.. No big deal. There will be other draws..

Marc
07-19-2008, 05:36 PM
I didn't put in for LEH this fall, still waiting on knee surgery and I was told it would be 4 to 6 weeks after I get the call. Well I'm still waiting on the call so it looks like my surgery is going to happen in the middle of the season.

Looks like I'll be filling my freezer this fall with quack.

mark
07-20-2008, 08:00 AM
My elk draw in the W. Kootenays is not going to be used, too much other stuff happening.. No big deal. There will be other draws..

Dude I seriously hope yer joking! That is a highly coveted draw :roll:. This would be a classic example of a wasted draw that pissis me off!

Avalanche123
07-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Dude I seriously hope yer joking! That is a highly coveted draw :roll:. This would be a classic example of a wasted draw that pissis me off!

I said this in another post....cut the guy some slack! Sheesh.....

Since I applied for my LEH's my family received news recently of terminal illness. Maybe he has something similar going on. Who knows....

BTW I will still use my LEH.

silvicon
07-20-2008, 10:02 AM
there are whole groups of BC Gov. employees that are all anti hunters and they apply for as many animals as possible just to make it difficult for hunters.
a hunter having a draw and not using it is not as bad as above.

Avalanche123
07-20-2008, 10:43 AM
there are whole groups of BC Gov. employees that are all anti hunters and they apply for as many animals as possible just to make it difficult for hunters.

How do you know this?

I work for the BC Gov't and no one is my office does that.

KMD
07-20-2008, 11:11 AM
I might not be able to use mine but there is nothing I can do about it.

It is looking like no major hunting this year :(

steel_ram
07-20-2008, 11:34 AM
a hunter having a draw and not using it is not as bad as above.

That would be a ******ed strategy even for the most well funded anti-hunting group. Think about it!

Yes, there are gov't employee's and even a few CO's that don't completely embrace the thought of killing animals as a conservation tool, but no more than any other cross section of the general population.

jml11
07-20-2008, 11:35 AM

I know the majority of the MoE office in PG and they are all hunters...can't say much about the other ministries though.

I know some anti's who do this however, particularly for Grizz. A girl I went to school with years ago, who is also a major anti got a draw once and was so happy she was able to save a bear. IMO, anti's who put in for a draw are actually working against their cause because they are supporting the hunt and showing the government their is interest. Which again IMO, is an indirect form of lobbying to keep the hunt open...

07-20-2008, 01:37 PM
I know the majority of the MoE office in PG and they are all hunters...can't say much about the other ministries though.

I know some anti's who do this however, particularly for Grizz. A girl I went to school with years ago, who is also a major anti got a draw once and was so happy she was able to save a bear. IMO, anti's who put in for a draw are actually working against their cause because they are supporting the hunt and showing the government their is interest. Which again IMO, is an indirect form of lobbying to keep the hunt open...

Good point, ha ha, joke's on them, and the best thing is they don't save anything. MOE knows how pretty close many tags to issue to kill a target number of animals so it all evens out in the end because success rates are used to calculate how many authorizations are issued....

Kody94
07-20-2008, 01:54 PM
I always thought it was great to have anti's applying for LEHs. It means they had to go through CORE to get a hunter number, and they might have had an opportunity to learn a thing or two. If they didn't, then the increasing number of people with hunter numbers works in the rest of our favor's. And as mentioned above, the LEH numbers will eventually compensate for all of their unused draws anyway.

Cheers
4ster

Red Foreman
07-20-2008, 02:33 PM
I drew a goat tag close to home that I will use all my available time till oct 31st when it closes trying to fill. I also drew a shared moose and a muley doe in 5 -2 nov 1st to 15th that we are committed to one week trying to fill. I also drew the private land elk in peace in dec- feb which I'm thinking I probably won't go on, mainly because we hopefully will have the freezers full with moose. If I knew we would get the moose tag I wouldn't have applied for the elk, it's hard to plan when you don't what you'll get or if you'll get anything at all.

I think the real issue is when people apply for sheep or other similar hunts that are other people's life long dreams, draw the tag and don't respect the chance they've been given. Or don't do any research about where they are applying until after they've been drawn and are not prepared for the hunt and subsequently don't go or exert the same effort another person who's been applying for years would. My thoughts anyway.

My boss did that last year,he drew a hard to get sheep draw and I asked him when he was going.He said he wasn't didn't feel like hiking up the mountains.Stupid lazy ******* why enter if you have no intention of using it,just took someone else's chance at a dream hunt.He does this sort of thing every year,put's in as many draws as he can but will only go on hunts he can do from his truck.Selfish.

07-20-2008, 05:54 PM
My boss did that last year,he drew a hard to get sheep draw and I asked him when he was going.He said he wasn't didn't feel like hiking up the mountains.Stupid lazy ******* why enter if you have no intention of using it,just took someone else's chance at a dream hunt.He does this sort of thing every year,put's in as many draws as he can but will only go on hunts he can do from his truck.Selfish.

It's just a game to some people to see how many tags they can draw.

There was a 73 year old guy showing a Tat sheep authorization around the clubhouse last year. He has never hunted sheep and never intends to. Someone said to him "you took someone's dream hunt away from them for no real reason". He got real mad and said he has as much right as anyone to apply for anything he wants. That's true, but this shows a complete lack of respect for other hunters and I'll bet he wouldn't do it if he had to buy a sheep tag along with the application.

There are a certain number of people who just play the LEH system like it's a lotto game for fun, the boneheads...!

Only 27% of the successful applicants for East Kootenay goat hunts even bother buying a tag. There should be a method to weed these persons out of the system.

Avalanche123
07-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Only 27% of the successful applicants for East Kootenay goat hunts even bother buying a tag. There should be a method to weed these persons out of the system.

Maybe by making them purchase a tag will go a long way towards cutting that percentage down more.

bayou
07-20-2008, 07:30 PM
IMO money up front and a higher application fee will help weed out those that have no or little interest of using the tag.

Sharkey
07-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Interesting responses and feedback on this thread. I didn't apply for any LEH this year (which would have been my first year to apply) because I am pregnant and due OCTOBER 7th (yeah I know...). I just didn't want to take a chance of actually getting a tag and not being able to use it for many of the reasons mentioned. It's going to be hard as it is to get out and do any GOS hunting this fall, but where there's a will... :razz:

Fisher-Dude
07-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Interesting responses and feedback on this thread. I didn't apply for any LEH this year (which would have been my first year to apply) because I am pregnant and due OCTOBER 7th (yeah I know...). I just didn't want to take a chance of actually getting a tag and not being able to use it for many of the reasons mentioned. It's going to be hard as it is to get out and do any GOS hunting this fall, but where there's a will... :razz:

Chicken. I woulda wheeled ya into the back of my truck on Oct 6 for a bumpy ride with your LEH moose tag in your pocket - just to make sure junior makes his appearance on time! :wink: Have to make sure he starts huntin' at an early age - like (1) days old!

Avalanche123
07-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Chicken. I woulda wheeled ya into the back of my truck on Oct 6 for a bumpy ride with your LEH moose tag in your pocket - just to make sure junior makes his appearance on time! :wink: Have to make sure he starts huntin' at an early age - like (1) days old!

Now that is "Youth Recruitment"! :D

Sharkey
07-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Now that is "Youth Recruitment"! :D

No kidding! Jeepers!

I can't wait actually :wink: Husband will be home for 2 and a half months after the little guy is born, so I'll still be able to get out a few times this season. And thanks for the offer FD (as tempting as it is)... but I think I'll pass on the 'lift' in the back of your truck... By that time I'll be staying pretty close to home I'll definitely call you if I'm overdue!

However NEXT year...... I'll be fighting for those LEH tags with the rest of you, and using every last one I get.