PDA

View Full Version : Prime time, west Kootenays???

bearheart
07-16-2008, 08:41 PM
I need to narrow my holiday hunting time down (gotta work more,if I ever want to retire).I hunt near Grandforks, for meat/fun. No success for the two years I've tried but have seen more deer each time (as they run over the hill:))So if I want to hunt two, one week hunts (deer,primarily, if a really stupid legal moose or elk stumbles in front of me,I'll take it and I have seen a young bull where I hunt, in the summer) which weeks would you knowledgable guys suggest?Sept15-21,21-28,October12-19,19-26?Thanks. I'm deciding tonight, so early help much appreciated. I hunt on foot spot, stumble stalk. I'm old and slow,but a good shot.

BlacktailStalker
07-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Seeing as you've had 35 views and no replies, if deer is your primary target, I'd go later, so one of your october dates.
The cooler it is and closer to the rut sounds better for you and you'll get more game movement.

winbuckhunter
07-16-2008, 11:55 PM
either that or opening week

winbuckhunter
07-16-2008, 11:56 PM
deer arn't so spooky.. you just have to find a spot where other hunters arn't

hunter1947
07-17-2008, 03:55 AM
This is a hard one to answer ,one or the other won't work out for the best time to hunt if one closes well befor the other.

If you are going for deer of ether ,then go as late as you can when the season is open ,being this late when you go the rut will be on..

If you are going for elk go in late sept ,this time of the month is the most active time for rutting and bugling..

For moose go as early as you can you get first pick of the crop.

bearheart
07-17-2008, 07:04 AM
Thanks those that took the trouble to answer,I'll take my first week and my last open week.