PDA

View Full Version : New Lightweight Shelter, **WITH PICS**

Brambles
07-16-2008, 08:09 AM
So it was a toss up between a Bivy Sack and a one person tent. It was hard to find a tent that was the same weight as a bivy sack. Bivys seemed a little tight to me.

So this was the solution. Apparently they don't hold up real great in the snow althought they can take some light stuff but are excellent in the wind and rain.

They have pictures of them at Everest and all over the world on their website.

Have a look, it weights 2 Lbs exactly with out the two upright poles, you can use ( and its recommended you do) your trekking poles. If you use the supplied uprights its 2 lbs 6 oz. Has plent of room for two people as well and a small vestibule. The whole tent can be staked higher or lower depending on the weather you run into, slam it to the ground if its miserable or raise it right up to expose maximum netting if the weather is mild. Sets up Stupid fast too. The website says 2 minutes but with practice I bet its even faster, depending on terrain of course.
It has compete netting for bug resistance as well

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_1297.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_1299.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_1301.jpg

Avalanche123
07-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Everest eh.....hmmmmm. I am not sure sure I would trust that tent. There are all kinds of places for blowing snow to get in. Who makes this tent?
For an extra 3 lbs you can get a 4 season two man expedition tent from Mtn Hardware that is bomber.
IMHO...

BCrams
07-16-2008, 08:19 AM
Nice looking tent. For a couple more pounds, I'll stick with my mtn hardwear tent. I can just picture sideways blowing rain and snow going inside.

CanuckShooter
07-16-2008, 08:29 AM
That looks like a sweet little outfit !!
Sure would beat packing 10lbs of tent up the mountain....

bigwhiteys
07-16-2008, 08:32 AM
It looks like a nice shelter for nice weather! A Sil-Tarp would probably help for those days when it's raining and snowing sideways.

Cost....?

Carl

Gun Dog
07-16-2008, 08:35 AM
Nice summer tent. These days there's a bunch of 2kg tents like the MSR Hubba Hubba and Big Agnes Seedhouse 2. With a footprint (a groundsheet with pockets for the poles) you can leave the tent, take the fly and get the weight down to around 1kg. No netting but when was the last time you saw a mosquito or black fly anyway? :)

BiG Boar
07-16-2008, 08:43 AM
"The whole tent can be staked higher or lower depending on the weather you run into, slam it to the ground if its miserable or raise it right up to expose maximum netting if the weather is mild."

stop saying snow and rain can get in and read the description.

mrdoog
07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
"It has compete netting for but resistance as well"

Perfect for those camp-outs in the Westend.

MattB
07-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Nice, i looked at those tarp tents last year when i was looking to buy a new tent. They sure do look nice!

ElkMasterC
07-16-2008, 09:34 PM
How much are they Brambles?
And where does one get one?
I like the 2 pound weight...you know what I want THAT for! ;-)

MRDOOG: LMAO it's funny 'cuz it's troooooo...

mud-dog27
07-16-2008, 10:19 PM
i been lookin at pickin up one of those for summer hikes rain and snow screw that ill sleep in my truck i dont do that winter hikin crap unless i got a roof over me at night

Brambles
07-17-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm going to use it for early season mulies this year until I get a feel for what it can handle.

The best part is I told my brother about it last year or even longer when I seen it on Ebay for sale in the U.K.

He went ahead and bought it, but he's got so many tents he never used it, so I liberated it from him last week.

FREEBIE

Fisher-Dude
07-17-2008, 09:06 AM
With the weight you saved, you can strap one of those old chairs on your pack, so you have something to sit on while you glass. Or maybe even pack one of those old Mopar units with you to sleep in when the weather changes?

Brambles
07-17-2008, 09:08 AM
With the weight you saved, you can strap one of those old chairs on your pack, so you have something to sit on while you glass. Or maybe even pack one of those old Mopar units with you to sleep in when the weather changes?

My plan exactly:D

07-17-2008, 09:43 AM
I have a Eureka tent almost exactly like this. I used it extensivelly for sheep, goat and mule deer hunting in the high country throughout the 80's and 90's. It worked fine and has weathered a couple good rains and wind storms without water penetration or damage, and it sure beats packing the alternative heavy weights. The only drawback I ever found was with entering or leaving the tent when it's raining, one has to be quite careful not to let water in but it can be done due to the vestibule, and I'm six feet tall.

I used to go on 4 day solo hunts, with food, still camera, video camera, spotting scope, tripod, cook set and stove included, I was able to keep my pack weight under 35 lbs. Smart choices like this light weight tent and a mini MSR light weight stove are the only things that make this possible. Good choice Brambles, you'll love it.

PS: Big Mopar show in Cranbrook this weekend Brambles, come out for a visit. Look for the cream (Y3) 1970 Charger R/T, I'll have a Diet Pepsi for you.

BigBanger
07-17-2008, 09:45 AM
"The whole tent can be staked higher or lower depending on the weather you run into, slam it to the ground if its miserable or raise it right up to expose maximum netting if the weather is mild."

stop saying snow and rain can get in and read the description.

What about on rainy and snowy days ? Where you gonna sleep?

KevinB
07-17-2008, 01:07 PM
A friend of mine has a slightly older version of one of the 2-person Tarptents, he got his without the sewn in floor and it is well under 2 lbs IIRC. I was quite impressed by it (spent a couple of nights in it, but only good weather), you end up with quite a bit of floor space for the weight and the price is very reasonable. The company owner even supplies plans to make your own tarptent if you can source the Silnylon used in it's construction. It seemed well made and from reviews I've readon the net, it sounds like it holds up to wind surprisingly well due to it's low profile and curved shape. I think for your application Brambles you sure could do a lot worse. A lot of serious backpackers use nothing but tarp systems and they do very well as long as they know how to rig one up properly.

Brambles
07-17-2008, 03:41 PM
I have a Eureka tent almost exactly like this. I used it extensivelly for sheep, goat and mule deer hunting in the high country throughout the 80's and 90's. It worked fine and has weathered a couple good rains and wind storms without water penetration or damage, and it sure beats packing the alternative heavy weights. The only drawback I ever found was with entering or leaving the tent when it's raining, one has to be quite careful not to let water in but it can be done due to the vestibule, and I'm six feet tall.

I used to go on 4 day solo hunts, with food, still camera, video camera, spotting scope, tripod, cook set and stove included, I was able to keep my pack weight under 35 lbs. Smart choices like this light weight tent and a mini MSR light weight stove are the only things that make this possible. Good choice Brambles, you'll love it.

PS: Big Mopar show in Cranbrook this weekend Brambles, come out for a visit. Look for the cream (Y3) 1970 Charger R/T, I'll have a Diet Pepsi for you.

Regretfully I have to work this weekend, appreciate the offer, I'll have to take you up on it another time.

07-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Regretfully I have to work this weekend, appreciate the offer, I'll have to take you up on it another time.

I'm sure we'll bump into each other at one of these shows sooner or later.

BCrams
07-17-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm sure we'll bump into each other at one of these shows sooner or later.

If you offered him something stronger than diet pepsi, I am sure he'd find a sub to fill in for a shift :biggrin: I remember all too well what he likes!

ElkMasterC
07-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Ok, where did your Brother get it, and what did he pay?
Barring that, what's it called, so I can find it myself?
Cheers
C

07-17-2008, 08:56 PM
If you offered him something stronger than diet pepsi, I am sure he'd find a sub to fill in for a shift :biggrin: I remember all too well what he likes!

I never drink my Diet Pepsi straight up,,, way too strong......only after I park the car of course.

Brambles
07-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Ok, where did your Brother get it, and what did he pay?
Barring that, what's it called, so I can find it myself?
Cheers
C

The best part is I told my brother about it last year or even longer when I seen it on Ebay for sale in the U.K.

He went ahead and bought it, but he's got so many tents he never used it, so I liberated it from him last week.

FREEBIE

I hate to point out the obvious but it was bought on ebay;-) As far as price I think this model retails for about $230. This is a "Tarptent" and the model is Squall 2.

The whole "brambley-bum" remark had me wondering who you were talking to, I don't know anyone by that name....

http://www.tarptent.com/

ElkMasterC
07-17-2008, 11:30 PM
:eek:OK, in my defense, I was sampling my homemade Pinot Noir when I posted that.....lmao....quite a LOT of it, I might add....
I gotta put a breathalyzer on my keyboard, I swear.
Also, you said you "seen it on eBay, for sale in the UK, and told my brother"
(Paraphrase).
That doesn't mean you BOUGHT it from the same place you first referred your Brother to it..
ALSO, Dr Watson, if I have your full attention, the trail went cold there.......with no brand name, model number or coffee-stained receipts, the blood trail, if I may use a hunting colloquialism, dried right the f*** up.
It was a high-country red-Herring, if you will. Without knowing the search parameters to enter, one gets lost in the Ole' World Wide Web.
Let's have Brandy at the Club sometime.
I must be off,
Holmes.

On another, more fiscally conservative note: 230 bucks plus shipping and duties? :eek:
Good thing ya gots dat fo free! That's 150 bucks a pound. About what Salmon fishing costs me...lol

Thx BRAMBLES ;-)

BigBanger
07-17-2008, 11:47 PM
The whole "brambley-bum" remark had me wondering who you were talking to, I don't know anyone by that name....

I got it the first time . Mind you I thought you knew each other . I like it .

Brambles
07-18-2008, 07:30 AM
:eek:OK, in my defense, I was sampling my homemade Pinot Noir when I posted that.....lmao....quite a LOT of it, I might add....
I gotta put a breathalyzer on my keyboard, I swear.
Also, you said you "seen it on eBay, for sale in the UK, and told my brother"
(Paraphrase).
That doesn't mean you BOUGHT it from the same place you first referred your Brother to it..
ALSO, Dr Watson, if I have your full attention, the trail went cold there.......with no brand name, model number or coffee-stained receipts, the blood trail, if I may use a hunting colloquialism, dried right the f*** up.
It was a high-country red-Herring, if you will. Without knowing the search parameters to enter, one gets lost in the Ole' World Wide Web.
Let's have Brandy at the Club sometime.
I must be off,
Holmes.

On another, more fiscally conservative note: 230 bucks plus shipping and duties? :eek:
Good thing ya gots dat fo free! That's 150 bucks a pound. About what Salmon fishing costs me...lol

Thx BRAMBLES ;-)

Hey I wasn't trying to trick you, yup, seen it on ebay and bought it on ebay:razz: Take a look at a good light bivy sack, much more than $230. In the grand scheme of lightweight backpacking its a small drop in the hat.

ElkMasterC
07-18-2008, 10:51 AM
I got a dry-cleaning bag with holes cut in the corners...use it for a poncho, bivvy sack and a rainwater collection system.
Also makes a nice shower cao if you twist it up like a Turban.

Meindl Boots: $517

Tatonka Pack Frame : $284

Primus Lightweight Stove: $119

Looking like a damn fool in Saran Wrap: Priceless.

:-P