PDA

View Full Version : LEH odds question

SLIK
07-15-2008, 10:07 PM
I've been told that new hunters and people that have not been drawn for a few years have better odds at getting a tag. While if you get ...let's say a bull moose tag one year the next year, if you apply for a moose tag, your odds go down 50%.

Is this true or is this just one of those hunting myths.

My roommate and his buddies told me this......

todbartell
07-15-2008, 10:11 PM
its true, called the 'enhanced odds system'

SLIK
07-15-2008, 10:29 PM
anybody got a link so I can read into this a bit

todbartell
07-15-2008, 10:31 PM
google is your friend

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/resident/docs/leh_system.pdf

Blainer
07-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Above is true about moose.
I don't believe new hunters have better odds.

todbartell
07-15-2008, 11:46 PM
they have better odds in the sense that they have never been drawn before and thus dont have the reduced odds that a recently successful applicant has to put up with for a couple years :)

bighornbob
07-16-2008, 08:40 AM
I don't believe new hunters have better odds.

Sure they do, see all the guys that have been applying for 10+ years and not one tag. All those tags must have gone to the new hunters:biggrin:

Seriously, there are areas like Region 4 and 8 (I think) that have LEH's for new hunters and the odds are almost 1:1.

BHB

BiG Boar
07-16-2008, 08:52 AM
My question is the odds for this years draw, like the one that just happened a couple weeks back....where can I see what the actual odds were for that draw. Does the LEH online pdf update to what the actual odds were? I dont think it does because one of my draws still has N/A on the odds and I got that draw. Just trying to see how luck I was!

BCrams
07-16-2008, 08:52 AM
The reduced odds do not work too well. :neutral:

My dad and I drew a shared moose hunt this year when we're supposed to be on reduced odds from our last draw :mrgreen:

bighornbob
07-16-2008, 10:02 AM
My question is the odds for this years draw, like the one that just happened a couple weeks back....where can I see what the actual odds were for that draw. Does the LEH online pdf update to what the actual odds were? I dont think it does because one of my draws still has N/A on the odds and I got that draw. Just trying to see how luck I was!

On your letter that you recieved with your LEH tag or denial letter. It should say what the odds were. For my bison hunt (which I got) the odds were something like 24:1, and moose was 9:1.

Each year I check these numbers with next years odds and I have not found a mistake yet.

BHB

bighornbob
07-16-2008, 10:03 AM
The reduced odds do not work too well. :neutral:

My dad and I drew a shared moose hunt this year when we're supposed to be on reduced odds from our last draw :mrgreen:

Seems like they are working just fine. You are on reduced odds not impossible odds. I got a moose draw three years ago. No tag last year or this year. Seems it works:biggrin: Will see if I get a tag next year with 9:1 odds.

BHB

monasheemountainman
08-31-2016, 11:39 AM
rather than start a new thread ill just ask on here......Out of curiosity, what does the middle number on an leh authorization mean? ex- "the odds of the hunt you were drawn for: 1.6:1

what does the 6 stand for?

KodiakHntr
08-31-2016, 11:47 AM
One point six to one odds.... As in less than 2 to 1 odds, but slightly more than 1 and a half to one odds....

monasheemountainman
08-31-2016, 12:09 PM
One point six to one odds.... As in less than 2 to 1 odds, but slightly more than 1 and a half to one odds....

AHHHHH.....that makes sense, and boy do I feel stupid!!! haha thanks

srthomas75
08-31-2016, 12:39 PM
1.6:1. As in 8 people applied for a draw where 5 tags were allocated.

KodiakHntr
08-31-2016, 02:17 PM
AHHHHH.....that makes sense, and boy do I feel stupid!!! haha thanks

Meh, everyone has something that strikes them as odd every now and again. Sometimes the obvious stuff is hardest to see.