PDA

View Full Version : Would you support a 10 day (Aug 21-31) archery only hunt?

BCrams
07-13-2008, 10:25 PM
The last couple of polls have been quite interesting. In particular with some particular members of the UBBC wanting a "bow only to be a bow only" hunt.

I would be open to a proposal outlining a 10 day archery only hunt from August 21-31st followed by a youth only season where they can use either bow or firearm Sept 1st to 9th.

dana
07-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Change the regional baglimits to allow for 2 mule deer bucks, only one of which can be taken with a rifle, and I would take up my bow again in a heart beat. Would love to hunt the highcountry without the fear of the Sept snow storms that put a light-weight backpack hunt into a life or death prospect.

BCrams
07-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Change the regional baglimits to allow for 2 mule deer bucks, only one of which can be taken with a rifle, and I would take up my bow again in a heart beat.

Now wouldn't that be a great move to increase the interest in bow hunting. (UBBC honchos take note)

If regular rifle hunters who don't bow hunt, realize they can take 1 rifle deer and a 2nd with archery only. I'd say there will be plenty of guys taking up archery. Archery success rate is quite low so it would not be detrimental to the deer population.

Gateholio
07-13-2008, 10:49 PM
I like danas idea...I would even consider getting a new bow for something liek that.:grin:

07-13-2008, 10:56 PM
They do this in Manitoba. You can take one whitetail in each of the archery, muzzleloader and rifle seasons. IIRC the seasons did not overlap - they went in the order I listed. I also seem to recall the general rule was one buck and two does.

ydouask
07-13-2008, 11:02 PM
Decades ago when many locals became interested in archery and bow hunting it was probably a move to increase our hunting opportunity, we took it. Before then we had all been rifle hunters.. and still are. We very quickly discovered an enjoyment of spot and stalk Mule Deer hunting that is beyond description...try as we all did each evening around the campfire... this was about 1983 or so. Few animals were harvested and yet we still tell of missed shots, flushed Grouse, Open Range Cows(every stalkers buddy !) and the generally great times had by all. That all came to a screaching HALT when the Ministry opened a Four Point Mule Deer RIFLE SEASON during the same time period..Sept. 1-9. What a GONG SHOW... too many people and too much disturbance. The Quality Archery season ended for us then and there... 8-13, 8-14, 8-15... just fond memories, haven't been back since.
Now we still hunt Whitetail and Mule Deer in the Archery seasons as well as Elk in the East Kootenay's.... Just the thought of folks Rifle Hunting during that Sept 1-9 Archery Season makes me cringe. By all means think about how young hunters could encouraged by an early Rifle Season.... before school starts!... but lets not sacrifice the enjoyment of the established Archers to do it. Hey, nothing stopping a youth from hunting the Sept Archery season is there?

Allen50
07-13-2008, 11:37 PM
i have only shot one black tail deer with my bow, and would love a chance to get out more and hunt with the bow,, but as we all know its takes years to get anything through this gov, just look at how are LEH works, seam the same people get the draws ever year and no one else gets a any, and if you ask who got a draw, well seam no one got a draw that i know, so who got all the draws that are out there, just something to make you go Hummmmmmmmmmmm,,, ???????

MidnightRun
07-14-2008, 12:07 AM
I took up bow hunting when I moved to Alberta for a few years where there is a definate bow hunting season advantage. If that same advantage over rifle season were to happen here I'd reluctantly resume spending 80.00/doz for arrows :mrgreen:.

ARGR
07-14-2008, 12:14 AM
Youuuuuuuuuu betcha. I will echo the sentiments regarding the Alberta bow season. A definite way to increase bow hunter numbers!!

hunter1947
07-14-2008, 04:47 AM
I gave the thumbs up on this vote ,it would get more avid hunters into bow hunting and also help out on recruitment of new hunters.

Steeleco
07-14-2008, 08:18 AM
I voted yes also, but though the heat at that time of year may be also be a deterrent for some folks. Dana's idea is something the dudes in Victoria should give some real consideration.

tomahawk
07-14-2008, 08:28 AM
I would support a "bow only" if it was BC wide and not in speciifc small MU dotted here and there.

brotherjack
07-14-2008, 08:42 AM
I would support it for sure (I support any expansion of opportunity!), IF (big IF) the Sept 1-9 bow season opportunities remained intact. IE: if it's an expansion of opportunity, I'm all for it. If it just moves bow-season back 10 days - I have no use for it.

Pete
07-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Deer seasons run from Sept through Dec which is 3 1/2 months unless you are in the QC where it starts even earilier. So why do you think the the extra 10 days in the middle of summer are going to help.

J_T
07-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Regarding Dana's concept. It is valid, though more so in some areas of the province than others. In the EK of Reg 4 a bowhunter (during bow only) can take 2 whitetail does.

Somethings to consider with an August hunt:
- Andy mentioned competion with recreational people. More evident in some areas.
- most often bush closures due to fire hazard end Sept 1st. The bush could be closed to bowhunters repeatedly.
- An August hunt, moves a bowhunter further from the rut with some species.
- Higher country hunts would likely be better subscribed to as the time and weather is more conducive to supporting the hunt.
- a bow kill, seldom goes down immediately, there is risk to the quality of the meat in the heat of August and front country, lowland kills

The concept has merit in some situations.

SHAKER
07-14-2008, 09:34 AM
As a part time bow hunter I vote NO. I don't feel I'm part of your ellite crew (nor do I want to be) but how much time do you really need to go bow hunting? If you bowhunt you can hunt Deer over 100 days a year! If you cant bag a critter in that amount of time well........:cry: I've helped out with an annual youth weekend a couple of years now and havn't seen one bowhunter. If you want to be by yourself in the bush then do it, I hunt the Mule Deer rut here at home and won't see a person all day (note rifle season).
I hear lots of people say they don't want to dodge bullets while their fling'n arrows well if it's really that much of a problem then change where you hunt. If "your" group wants more special privlages then go for no tine restrictions cause theirs a tonn of opertunities already in place with special weapons areas and "bow only" regs.
Just my opinion! But what do I know?

boxhitch
07-14-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm with you Shaker. If there is a season opened up in August, I want a chance to go out with rifle too. And I can take a kid along, as it would be before school. Why should he or I have to take up bow to participate ?
The hunt would be tough , as the critters would be hiding out in the shade, but I'd go.

If a hunter feels handicapped by his choice of implement, He should be glad he still has free choice.

I drive a large truck. I don't complain and ask for larger parking stall close to the BCLCB doors.

tufferthandug
07-14-2008, 09:59 AM
An early bow season up North for elk would be nice. It might get more of the southern moose hunters a little more fire under their ass to get up there this year despite gas prices.

Fisher-Dude
07-14-2008, 10:04 AM
I'm with you Shaker. If there is a season opened up in August, I want a chance to go out with rifle too. And I can take a kid along, as it would be before school. Why should he or I have to take up bow to participate ?
The hunt would be tough , as the critters would be hiding out in the shade, but I'd go.

If a hunter feels handicapped by his choice of implement, He should be glad he still has free choice.

I drive a large truck. I don't complain and ask for larger parking stall close to the BCLCB doors.

I'll third that. I think getting rid of the unnecessary antler restrictions in OUR (everyone's - bow and gun) GOS is a better goal. In any negotiation, it's probably wiser to go for the gold up front than to accept whatever bone is tossed your way. I think some of JT's points are quite valid re: forest closures etc. IF it were the ONLY additional opportunity that the game managers would even consider, then I say do it and we'll take what we get. I don't think moving the Sept bow season to August is a compromise that will provide any greater opportunity for hunters - if it's in addition to current seasons, then okay.

greybark
07-14-2008, 10:41 AM
:) I like Dana`s concept of two deer (buck and or doe) whatever managed and substanciated open to rifle(1) and archery (1) .
It is a win win situation with hunter retention and opportunities.
:icon_frow Like F-D pointed out the relocation of the 1-9 Sep archery season to an earlier time would not present new opportunities but as J-T posts would result in lost opportunities during the rut ( elk) which would really affect this "older" ok "old" bowhunter .
Ditto on Brotherjacks post !!!!!!!!
:) This is a good thread as most posts are well thought out and to the point with little emotion and highjacking.
Cheers

Fisher-Dude
07-14-2008, 11:35 AM
:) This is a good thread as most posts are well thought out and to the point with little emotion and highjacking.
Cheers

Damn GB, you telling me that I'm slackin' off? :lol:

Wild one
07-14-2008, 12:41 PM
I like Dana's idea but not just mule deer.What I found in Alberta was they had some mu's that had longer archery seasons and others near by opened early for rifle.I think it gave hunters both rifle and bow good chances at game and helped the population of the animales in the area.

mntbowhunter
07-14-2008, 01:39 PM
I would say keep it the same so that the archery seasons dont overlap with sheep and goat hunting. September 1st is just fine. One thing I would like to see though is if you draw a moose limited entry you should be able to hunt it in the archery season as well. Not have to hunt with all the gun hunters who also drew tags.

Schmaus
07-14-2008, 05:38 PM
I say no, bowhunters already have special times they are allowed to hunt

If a hunter feels handicapped by his choice of implement, He should be glad he still has free choice

dana
07-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Currently we have a bunch of bowhunters who are part of a organization that want the Youth season's to end so that they can have the current Sept 1-9 season all to themselves. If they were to get their way, it would be loss opportunties for kids and a win for the old guard to maintain 'their' special hunt thus fracturing the hunting community even furthur. They say, why can't a kid hunt with a bow? Hmm, ever see a ten year old pull back a 40 lbs min bow weight? I don't see my 10 year old daughter being able to pull the required weight.
What I have proposed here is a compromise that allows the youth to have their early season and also allow bowhunters to hunt without a conflict with the youth. It would also increase the bowhunting numbers tremendously if the 2 buck limit (Only one of which can be rifle) as many would see this as increased resident opportunity. I see it as a win/win for both sides.
The concerns of bush closures aren't valid in my opinion. I can only recall one bush closure (2003) in recent years. I know that there were a few in the 70's but really, it takes some drastic conditions for them to be put into effect. In 03, the closures did affect both the early archery season and the start of rifle season. Both groups felt the pain equally. With their rarity, bush closures are a non-issue.
In many southwestern states they have an Aug 15 archery deer season. It gets way way hotter down there than up here in BC. Those hunters have learned how to hunt and not loose their game to meat spoilage. I'm sure BC hunters can learn the same. For the most part, BC's weather has already started to cool come late Aug. The highcountry sees a good deal of frost and even snow. And when it comes to hot weather, Sept can see it's share of the same weather, how do we deal with the spoilage issues then?
Overall, we should be pushing to get increased opportunity for all user groups. Many of those in what I call the Recruitment Camp like to alienate user groups and call them names instead of working with them for solutions. I've seen the bashing of the bowhunters on this site to be a constant issue amongst the Recruitment Camp. In my oppinion, they are their worst enemies. You don't win friends by bashing them in the head with a baseball bat all the time.
Yes, the point restrictions need to be dealt with. But keep in mind, that most of those point restrictions were put into affect for a reason. Many are forgetting that. Remember the winter of 96. Remember how badly the deer herds in the OK and the Koots took a beatin. The point restrictions were put into place to maintain hunter opportunity through the hard times. It worked. Deer numbers are flourishing. So, yes, lets open up more General Open Seasons as well.

dana
07-14-2008, 08:00 PM
Lets take this idea a little further. Given a 2 buck limit (only one of which can be rifle) would you support a late season bow only hunt say Dec 11-24th? Heck many states have bow seasons that go as late as Dec 31st. Season dates might need to be played around with, but we have Region 5 late archery seasons to lead by example.

IMO, Regional Managers need to get together and have a big brain storming session. They need to get cohesiveness among season dates. There should be no reasons for the scattered opening and closing dates within much of the province especially when it comes to deer. By having the scattered closure dates, all they do is push hunters to other areas where the "CROWD" mentality takes over. Keep the seasons similiar accross much of the province you spread out the crowds and the local herds don't take a beating and the quality of the hunt is way way better, thus maintaining hunters instead of loosing them.

greybark
07-14-2008, 10:38 PM
:smile: Hey Dana , good thoughts here but would your proposed late season replace the currant WT Reg 8 late Archery hunt ? 25Nov - 10 Dec As it is the season is a quality hunt for all bowhunters (youth , Seniors etc) . I have enjoyed this hunt for a lot of years and do notice the increasing numbers of junior and senior bowhunters , pardon me if I get a little protective of this one .:):)
Cheers

07-14-2008, 10:51 PM
IMO, Regional Managers need to get together and have a big brain storming session.

No questioning that statement! Time to do away with the regional empire building and standardize things.

islandboy
07-15-2008, 06:54 AM
I voted No due to the August date. I am a bowhunter and more often than not the heat is on. I would support Dana's "Lets take this idea a little further. Given a 2 buck limit (only one of which can be rifle) would you support a late season bow only hunt say Dec 11-24th?"

Fisher-Dude
07-15-2008, 07:10 AM
Would that late season (Dec 11 - 24) maybe be a bit chilly for kids/newbies to be sitting in whitetail stands? I'm wondering if it would be worth fighting for if participation were to be really low due to inclimate weather. Yeah, the diehard keeners would probably bundle up and hunt it, but as far as a recruitment tool, I kinda doubt many teenagers would be up for it.

calvin L
07-15-2008, 07:11 AM
I gess it is time to post up . Are we all not getting a little tired of these polls ? We will never make everyone happy so I am starting to feel that we we open every thing up . Bulls,cows /bucks does ,billies ,nannies , fawns, kidds, calves and stuff the LEH system as from waht I have been reading it doesn't work anyways for any thing Take one of each only one your choice Through the prov .Only 1 season Sept 1 - Oct 30

That should make every one happy . But for some reason I don't think it will :confused:

I already feel the sight of your choice on my back

calvin L

budismyhorse
07-15-2008, 07:50 AM
I'll save you all from a long post (audible cheers heard).

NO, That season is taking things a little too far. Where does it end? And what is the point? for archers to have the bush to themselves?

with our three+ month season, wouldn't extending it sound a little greedy?

I really don't see an armed army of youth hunters shooting up the place....and if I did....I'd go somewhere else.

dana
07-15-2008, 05:08 PM
:smile: Hey Dana , good thoughts here but would your proposed late season replace the currant WT Reg 8 late Archery hunt ? 25Nov - 10 Dec As it is the season is a quality hunt for all bowhunters (youth , Seniors etc) . I have enjoyed this hunt for a lot of years and do notice the increasing numbers of junior and senior bowhunters , pardon me if I get a little protective of this one .:):)
Cheers

Greybark,
Like I mentioned before, the season dates could be played around with. In my opinion, all deer seasons across the province should be pretty much the same dates. Why one Region can have a closure Nov 10th while another has the closure Nov 20th, while another Nov 30th, while another Dec 10th is beyond me. This just pushes the masses around and takes away from the quality of the hunt. At this day and age of high gas prices, I'm sure most would rather hunt around home for deer without having to chase around the seasons around the province. This would mean more hunter participation. I would propose the more open seasons, the better. Why can't we have room for Bowhunters at the beginning and the end of the season. Season dates could be Aug 21-31 Archery Any Buck, Sept 1-9 Youth Deer Any Sex, Any Age, Sept 10-Oct 31 Any Buck GOS, Nov 1-Dec 10th, Archery Antlerless, Nov 1-Dec 10th 4 point or better Season for muleys, and Dec 11-24th Archery Any Buck. I would like to see the Youth be able to harvest any sex, any age, just like in Region 7, from Sept 1-Dec 10th. I would propose the 3 deer limit per Region with only 1 muley buck being Rifle. In units like some in Region 5 where there is a surplus of does, I would propose that LEH antlerless tags don't go against your Regional Baglimit. This would mean a possible 4th deer tag.

Fisherdude,
I remember when I was a young teen hunting the late bowseason on Antler's Saddle. It was cold. Nocks broke and arrows stuck to our hands. But the excitement of stalking monsters that were not there during the rifle season kept us quite warm.
Wasn't the current #2 BC BOOK Typical Muley killed in the late season by a kid with a crossbow??? I would say, yes, kids will indeed participate in such a season. Wasn't that why you were so excited to get the late youth season? Now you are flip-flopping because you didn't think about it first???? Anything to go against the flow eh? At least you grab some of my ideas and try to make them your own (Youth Season Grouse). You are free to grab any of these other ideas and call them yours too.

Fisher-Dude
07-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Get over yourself already. There's a big difference between the weather in November and December, and all I'm saying is that it may not appeal to anyone except the keeners, like you and me. I'm not against ANY new opportunity, but I am aware of the process and politics surrounding proposals. If you were involved in the process of getting seasons changed or added, which you are not, you would understand that we have to be careful when putting proposals forward, as game managers are often quicker to accept a low success/low participation request and then play it off against a better opportunity, such as removal of existing antler restrictions.

Would you rather see 4 point season chucked in the existing GOS or a new late bow season? Knowing the process, I know we'll never get both past a game manager, but if we could get one, I'd take removal of antler restrictions as a recruitment/retention stimulus long before I'd take a December bow season that may be poorly subscribed to. We have a process where we evaluate all the proposals that come from the clubs at the regional level, and have to decide which ones we'll lobby for. We can't use a shotgun approach and throw 20 proposals at them, or they'll throw us a small bone and dismiss the rest.

At least those on here that you love to bash in the recruitment camp give of themselves to take ideas forward to effect positive changes, rather than do nothing but squawk on the internet about who thought of it first. If your ego were a tad smaller, maybe you'd be willing to donate some of your time and money to lobby for opportunity for hunters in an environment where failure to get change through is likely. You have far too fragile an ego to face the fact that chances are very good that your idea is going to get shot down by the powers that be. We who do work through these processes all know that most of the time we get the door slammed in our faces. Just ask Goat Guy or JT or 6616 or even Onesock :shock: :-P how many great ideas that people put lots of time, energy, money, and research into, get tossed out quickly by the bios. But, we celebrate the victories we do get, and learn as we go about what does and doesn't work. Hey, at least we TRY! :wink:

Go ahead and bang your drum on here, but it won't get any further unless you're prepared to join your club and actually do something more than chirp about it who's great idea it was on HBC. :-P

dana
07-15-2008, 06:34 PM
That's where you are dead wrong FD. While you stroke your ego concerning about how much time and money you donate to the effort, I'm actually out in the real world sharing my passion with my kids. Since you don't have kids, you have no idea how time consuming that endeaver is. You would rather bash hard working fathers like me because 'YOUR' endeaver is a much higher one in your small finite little mind.

I suggest ideas and I rant sometimes on these boards and guess what, they do reach the right ears. Look at the Early Youth Grouse proposal as an example. Another would be the fact that the Region 5 late mule deer season is actually still going when it was a done deal to cancel it. You might not want to admit it, but yup, people in power do read these boards and they do listen sometimes. If you think these boards are useless, then why do you constantly rant and rave calling people Selfish when they may not agree with your ideas. Even though I was on the same side as you, you singlehandedly turned me against from your agenda. To throw your words back at ya, you sir are the one 'F##king' the hunting for the kids. So when are YOU going to get over YOURSELF.

Caveman
07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
I gess it is time to post up . Are we all not getting a little tired of these polls ? We will never make everyone happy so I am starting to feel that we we open every thing up . Bulls,cows /bucks does ,billies ,nannies , fawns, kidds, calves and stuff the LEH system as from waht I have been reading it doesn't work anyways for any thing Take one of each only one your choice Through the prov .Only 1 season Sept 1 - Oct 30

That should make every one happy . But for some reason I don't think it will :confused:

I already feel the sight of your choice on my back

calvin L

Okay, Who woke calvinL up!! :wink::shock:

GoatGuy
07-15-2008, 09:26 PM
The last couple of polls have been quite interesting. In particular with some particular members of the UBBC wanting a "bow only to be a bow only" hunt.

I would be open to a proposal outlining a 10 day archery only hunt from August 21-31st followed by a youth only season where they can use either bow or firearm Sept 1st to 9th.

Before we look for a solution we need to establish a problem.

I think this is looking for a problem that might or might not exist. .

Until that's established this is a case of the vocal minority burning up time and energy.

BCrams
07-15-2008, 10:51 PM

Until that's established this is a case of the vocal minority burning up time and energy.

Sometimes people need to forsee a problem rather than waiting for the problem (when it is sometimes too late, as we have learned in the past).

Otherwise, I agree with what you're saying. In particular with youth using firearms in the current Sept 1-9 timeframe. It was just for interests sake seeing where some hunters line of thinking is.

ARGR
07-15-2008, 10:52 PM

Bingo. I haven't heard any gunshots during bow seasons that coincide with youth gun hunts yet. Where are these dangerous lead flinging youngsters?

GoatGuy
07-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Bingo. I haven't heard any gunshots during bow seasons that coincide with youth gun hunts yet. Where are these dangerous lead flinging youngsters?

Apparently behind every bush.:|

This would be a solution and a good one at that if there was a problem - there isn't. Vocal minority burning everybody else's time.

Gateholio
07-16-2008, 09:09 AM
I suggest ideas and I rant sometimes on these boards and guess what, they do reach the right ears. Look at the Early Youth Grouse proposal as an example. Another would be the fact that the Region 5 late mule deer season is actually still going when it was a done deal to cancel it. You might not want to admit it, but yup, people in power do read these boards and they do listen sometimes. .

So these events took place because of the peopel in power reading your posts on HBC?

Interesting......

Fisher-Dude
07-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Sigh. Must be really dry over at YankeeBraggingHuntingForum.com.

Caveman
07-16-2008, 09:40 AM

Too Funny!! LMAO!

Elkaholic
07-16-2008, 12:00 PM
As a part time bow hunter I vote NO. I don't feel I'm part of your ellite crew (nor do I want to be) but how much time do you really need to go bow hunting? If you bowhunt you can hunt Deer over 100 days a year! If you cant bag a critter in that amount of time well........:cry: I've helped out with an annual youth weekend a couple of years now and havn't seen one bowhunter. If you want to be by yourself in the bush then do it, I hunt the Mule Deer rut here at home and won't see a person all day (note rifle season).
I hear lots of people say they don't want to dodge bullets while their fling'n arrows well if it's really that much of a problem then change where you hunt. If "your" group wants more special privlages then go for no tine restrictions cause theirs a tonn of opertunities already in place with special weapons areas and "bow only" regs.
Just my opinion! But what do I know?

Ok lets turn this around..... Why do you need so much time to gun hunt? Is a 10 day gun season not enough for your needs? How would you like that? People do not want to take opportunity away they want to give more. I know alot of gun hunters who are greedy, they do not want seasons changed because they think they will loose out. What they need to look at is the "Bigger Picture" getting more people involved. I really like Dana's idea. I think if bow season was from Aug21-Sept 9th(keeping the youth season as it is.) what harm would that cause? I also agree that we need to look hard at the antler restrictions.

Avalanche123
07-16-2008, 03:12 PM
If this just moves bow-season back 10 days - I have no use for it.
Man all these polls are starting to make my head spin.

Anyway I didn't respond to this poll as I find it irrelevant for me.

Hunting Season: August 1 to Dec 10 (End of Feb if I get a goat LEH) There is more than enough opportunity in there for me and my bow. IMHO

dana
07-16-2008, 04:39 PM

FD,
I've seen your posts for years on these BC boards and yet I rarely ever recall anything positive from you. You slam hunter after hunter and think of yourself as some great and mighty godsend to change the world of hunting in BC. You really need to look at your actions on these boards and see how much damage you are doing. It is pathetic that someone in a so-called position of power like yourself in the BCWF carries on the way you do.

Gatehouse,
Why do you come to these forums? Why do they exist? Is it not to share ideas and hunting stories and gain info? Think of issues that the average Joe Blow has never heard of if it wasn't for these boards. Ideas are shared and people run with them. I for one was very vocal about there being no grouse open during the early youth season. I had guys like FD pointing the finger at me telling me I complain too much, but then later FD lets out that he is trying to push through a early youth grouse season in the OK. Where do you suppose he got that idea from eh? This past winter I personally kept hammering the BS about the closure of the late mule deer season in Region 5. I brought it up again and again to keep it in the forefront of those that might take action. Some like FD and his little posse kept on telling me that all I ever do is whine whine whine. But I kept it up. Which meant members of HBC who actually aren't sheep like FD wants, were thinkin for themselves. I'm sure many expressed their concerns to those that make the decisions in Region 5. And guess what, the season remains for this year and I hope that hunters keep the pressure on the government officials so that hunt can be viable for years to come. That is what these boards are all about. Funny that those that call me out all the time like FD are hyprocrital when it comes to the WWW. It is alright to preach their doctrine as much as they can to infuence people, but it isn't alright if your actually think for yourself and make your own decisions that may be different to the 'elite' doctrine. If you disagree with them, they attack like a pack of wolves.

dana
07-16-2008, 04:47 PM
Ok lets turn this around..... Why do you need so much time to gun hunt? Is a 10 day gun season not enough for your needs? How would you like that? People do not want to take opportunity away they want to give more. I know alot of gun hunters who are greedy, they do not want seasons changed because they think they will loose out. What they need to look at is the "Bigger Picture" getting more people involved. I really like Dana's idea. I think if bow season was from Aug21-Sept 9th(keeping the youth season as it is.) what harm would that cause? I also agree that we need to look hard at the antler restrictions.

I'm not an avid bowhunter by any means, but I do indeed see the bigger picture. I do understand why bowhunters might be a little miffed when it comes the a rifle hunt falling within the same time frame. I also understand that to recruit more hunters, you need to give more opportunity. Heck that is straight out of the Recruitment Camp's Holy Bible. What I find really interesting is the politics that even the Recruitment Camp has gotten themselves wrapped up in. They feel it is one camp against another camp. And guess what, the more they attack fellow hunters the more their cause is left on the backburner. Time for people to work together and put their petty differences aside.

Stresd
07-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Ok lets turn this around..... Why do you need so much time to gun hunt? Is a 10 day gun season not enough for your needs? How would you like that? People do not want to take opportunity away they want to give more. I know alot of gun hunters who are greedy,

Greedy??:shock: And here I am willing to share over two months of rifle hunting with You as a bow hunter. Your welcome to hunt any time during rifle season with your bow. But you aren't willing to reciprocate and share your Extra Special bow season with my rifle. Now just who is being Greedy.:-P:-P;-)

bc-shedder
07-16-2008, 07:20 PM
I also understand that to recruit more hunters, you need to give more opportunity. Heck that is straight out of the Recruitment Camp's Holy Bible. What I find really interesting is the politics that even the Recruitment Camp has gotten themselves wrapped up in. They feel it is one camp against another camp. And guess what, the more they attack fellow hunters the more their cause is left on the backburner. Time for people to work together and put their petty differences aside.
hahhaha dana i think the recruitment is doing quite well seems to be getting more and more hunters every year i think.lol

BigBanger
07-16-2008, 07:38 PM
I dont bow hunt . Might someday but i havent baged anything with a gun yet so a bow is outa the question for me right now.

Gateholio
07-17-2008, 12:21 AM
FD,

Gatehouse,
Why do you come to these forums? Why do they exist? Is it not to share ideas and hunting stories and gain info? Think of issues that the average Joe Blow has never heard of if it wasn't for these boards. Ideas are shared and people run with them. I for one was very vocal about there being no grouse open during the early youth season. I had guys like FD pointing the finger at me telling me I complain too much, but then later FD lets out that he is trying to push through a early youth grouse season in the OK. Where do you suppose he got that idea from eh? This past winter I personally kept hammering the BS about the closure of the late mule deer season in Region 5. I brought it up again and again to keep it in the forefront of those that might take action. Some like FD and his little posse kept on telling me that all I ever do is whine whine whine. But I kept it up. Which meant members of HBC who actually aren't sheep like FD wants, were thinkin for themselves. I'm sure many expressed their concerns to those that make the decisions in Region 5. And guess what, the season remains for this year and I hope that hunters keep the pressure on the government officials so that hunt can be viable for years to come. That is what these boards are all about. Funny that those that call me out all the time like FD are hyprocrital when it comes to the WWW. It is alright to preach their doctrine as much as they can to infuence people, but it isn't alright if your actually think for yourself and make your own decisions that may be different to the 'elite' doctrine. If you disagree with them, they attack like a pack of wolves.

Interesting, but what I really wanted to know was:

So these events took place because of the peopel in power reading your posts on HBC?

This could have happened, of course, but generally these things get done via organized groups representing many interested parties.

SHAKER
07-17-2008, 04:01 PM

I love opertunity, If someone wants to hunt Deer with a bow then thats great they can do it. But 100+ days and you still need more? Think bigger picture, I believe I did............Make less regulations! I don't feel I'll loose out I don't have kids to hunt in the youth season yet, I do own a bow and could take advantage of that early season. But lets simplify. You want to recrute bow hunters well "any buck" "any Bull" ect. Antlerless seasons in areas of abundance......cool not just tack on another line in already vast open here, closed there, this side of the road open, that side of the creek closed thing. Thats what's really kill'n hunting in the province.

Just before you thought I was going to get upset.........10 days is an interesting idea...........To bad my probably once in a life time sheep draw out my front door is only 7 days! 6.6-1 odds my A$$! but thats another topic!