PDA

View Full Version : What happened to M.L. season?

07-13-2008, 06:45 PM
I seem to remember we used to have muzzle loader only seasons. What happened to them? I think it would be a good way for more GOS opportunities, especially if it was a primitive weapon type season - ie no telescopic sights.

When I was in Manitoba they had several seasons for Whitetail and you had a bag limit within that season. I think it was 5 per year, 1 in archery, 1 in rifle, 1 in muzzleloader and 2 in shotgun (certain areas only).

07-13-2008, 08:34 PM
The special weapons policy the BC gov has in place at the current time specifically limits special weapons seasons to archery equipment and prohibits special muzzle loader seasons.

steel_ram
07-13-2008, 08:43 PM
The season ended when the new inline, scoped, etc. muzzleloaders defeated the spirit and purpose of a muzzle loading season.

Perhaps they could bring it back if they limited to smoothbored, 53 cal flintlocks, left hand with stocks carved only from one particular grove of oak, found only on NW Mississippi.

riflebuilder
07-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey I have one of those LH muzzleloaders. What speies and when can I go hunting?

SHAKER
07-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Once again.....Why do we need more rules? Lets simplify people!

Fisher-Dude
07-14-2008, 10:11 AM
BC's muzzleloader season generally opens on Sept 10 and runs until about mid-Nov. It's called GOS.

07-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Once again.....Why do we need more rules? Lets simplify people!

So that we could have more opportunities. Wouldn't extended or new GOS be worth a few extra rules? If the MOE wanted new/extended GOS with the present rules, they would have implemented them already. I think a primitive weapon muzzleloader season would equate to a lower harvest than a general rifle season.

07-14-2008, 12:38 PM
In Saskatchewan the succes rate in the bow-only season is less than 20%. In the muzzle loader season it's about 40% and in the rifle season it's about 50%, so muzzle loaders have obviously became a highly efficient tool. Unless we're willing to undergo the pain of creating a whole new section of rules on what type of muzzle loader, what type of sight or projectile is legal, why not just leave it alone like FD says. I have hunted the GOS in BC extensivelly with muzzle loaders with good success and never did feel the need for special muzzle loader seasons.

riflebuilder
07-14-2008, 08:49 PM
I am going to try for my goat this year with my muzzeloader. It adds some extra challange to the hunt, I agree with the long GOS that we have there is no need for a muzzel loader season, but I would support muzzel loader only areas simmular to bow hunting only areas.