PDA

View Full Version : The Smokepole LEH Concept Poll

Fisher-Dude
07-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Smokepole came up with a novel idea about the LEH draw. I've posted it below. What draw would be your number one choice?

If we're throwing ideas out how about this one:

All your entries go on one card, you rank your hunts based on what is the most desirable to you in that year. Numbered 1 to 6 or 7 however many you want, with number 1 being the tag you want the most, 2 being your second most desired and so on down the list. Buy as many or as few as you want, pay for your number of choices.

The draw is still done the same way randomly by computer, and put in whatever order just like now. The first guy picked gets his number 1 choice then the second guy gets his number 1 choice and so on. Nobody's second choice will beat out someone else's first choice for the same hunt, and so on down the list.

Drawn this way the hunter who is really pumped about going on a sheep hunt isn't competing with a hunter who really wants to go moose hunting but bought an extra entry and puts in for the sheep draw on a whim. It will separate the moose hunters from the sheep hunters. I want to go moose hunting so my first choice won't be Kamloops sheep. The guy who wants to go sheep hunting in Kamloops won't be competing with me on first choice odds. The first choice odds will drop on many draws and you'll more likely end up with a hunt at the top of your list.

OK critcize away:razz: Any problems I don't see?

browningboy
07-13-2008, 06:27 PM
My first draw would be elk in Schelt or van isl., but curious to see others.

ruger#1
07-13-2008, 06:40 PM
My first would be elk in region 8

Bighorn hunter
07-13-2008, 06:47 PM
van isl elk for sure

Gateholio
07-13-2008, 06:50 PM
I clicked on sheep, but upon further reflection...I thik I would pick grizzly first.

todbartell
07-13-2008, 06:52 PM
I picked moose, but grizzly is right there too (but spring draw only)

daycort
07-13-2008, 06:55 PM
I would take an Island elk, but my first choice would be a Samsquantch in the Creston Area.

Avalanche123
07-13-2008, 07:06 PM
I had to give this some thought. Bison would have been my first choice however I can't get away then. I chose goat because I really want to get one and the GOS area is a bit of a drive away.....(I want something close by in the winter time.)

In order to give this post more meaning, it would be nice to see where people live as it would provide a little logic to there choices IMHO.

Gateholio
07-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Possible issues- A hunter would only get one LEH per year. (That's fine with me, but maybe not some)Although I think one per hunter, more evenly distributed is more fair than one guy that gets 3 and 2 others getting NIL.

I really like the idea as it is still a random lottery, but as Smokepole says, you are only competing with the really keen guys.

I think this idea should be forwarded to the LEH people for comments.

kloosterboer
07-13-2008, 07:11 PM
I would go fo Island Elk. I also think that this system woould work quite well!!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-13-2008, 07:12 PM
You can have your Island Elk.
I would opt for elk somewhere in the interior:smile:.

SSS

brotherjack
07-13-2008, 07:15 PM
I just want a cow/calf elk tag for the MU I live in. You guys can have the horns, I'm just after hindquarters, the closer to home the better. :)

hillclimber
07-13-2008, 07:19 PM
hmmm so many choices. I'd have to say region 8 elk or region 5 moose(any kind) would be just fine.

moosinaround
07-13-2008, 07:30 PM
1 moose every year in my closest mu! Moosin

sealevel
07-13-2008, 08:01 PM
I put in for one of those beaten elk 3-34 i would be happy to just put in for one.. I have drawn one year 4 major hunts i couldn`t do all of them.

bwhnter
07-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Kamloops Cali tag OOOHHHH YEAH!!!!!!

gameslayer
07-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Possible issues- A hunter would only get one LEH per year. (That's fine with me, but maybe not some)Although I think one per hunter, more evenly distributed is more fair than one guy that gets 3 and 2 others getting NIL.

I really like the idea as it is still a random lottery, but as Smokepole says, you are only competing with the really keen guys.

I think this idea should be forwarded to the LEH people for comments.

I like that Idea seems reasonable and fair.

I choose Moose, Getting some good tasty meat in the freezer, while not travling too far and calling them in during the rut is a lot of good old fun. I'm sure my choice might change as the years pass.

trencher
07-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Hey guys new to the site
I also think this is a good idea on how LEH should run
I chose moose
Always put in for 8-8 and 8-11

BCrams
07-13-2008, 09:05 PM
A Kamloops Cali tag.

BCHunterFSJ
07-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Sheep in the good California bighorn areas for me!

Gateholio
07-13-2008, 09:19 PM
More pondering on the system...

Am I correct in assuming that it woudl go liek this:

Gatehouse fills out his card

sheep
elk
moose
goat
doe

He gets drawn somewhere in the middle of all applicants

All the sheep/elk/moose draws for what he put in for are already gone, but there is a goat draw left, so he gets it.

Next, all the names have been pulled but there are still 5 doe draws where Gatehouse applied, so those that applied for the draw go back in the hat, and Gatehouse is the first one drawn. So he gets his goat and a doe draw.

Meanwhile, Bartell fills out his application

Moose
elk
sheep
goat
bison

He gets drawn towards the end of all the applications, so all the tags are gone for what he applied for, so he is SOL....

:mrgreen:

Any other comments on how a system liek this would work?

palmer
07-13-2008, 10:25 PM
More pondering on the system...

Am I correct in assuming that it woudl go liek this:

Gatehouse fills out his card

sheep
elk
moose
goat
doe

He gets drawn somewhere in the middle of all applicants

All the sheep/elk/moose draws for what he put in for are already gone, but there is a goat draw left, so he gets it.

Next, all the names have been pulled but there are still 5 doe draws where Gatehouse applied, so those that applied for the draw go back in the hat, and Gatehouse is the first one drawn. So he gets his goat and a doe draw.

Meanwhile, Bartell fills out his application

Moose
elk
sheep
goat
bison

He gets drawn towards the end of all the applications, so all the tags are gone for what he applied for, so he is SOL....

:mrgreen:

Any other comments on how a system liek this would work?

So let me get this straight....if we go for this system BARTELL gets no tags....well...........

Smokepole
07-13-2008, 11:05 PM
The first year could sure be interesting, trying to guess what people's priorities are. By the looks of the poll if you wanted to be successful and are looking for some good eating put deer at the top of your list.:smile: Or caribou or maybe not enough people put in for the bison hunt as there first choice, and there's still hunts left for some second choice winners.:razz:

Gateholio
07-13-2008, 11:49 PM
The first year could sure be interesting, trying to guess what people's priorities are. By the looks of the poll if you wanted to be successful and are looking for some good eating put deer at the top of your list.:smile: Or caribou or maybe not enough people put in for the bison hunt as there first choice, and there's still hunts left for some second choice winners.:razz:

The more I think abotu your idea, the better it looks. (Now, I bet some LEH administrator comes and tells us it won't work:cool:

I think that most people put in for bison as a Hail Mary. They dont' expect to get it, but it's fun to gamble, so they put in for it.

Meanwhile, some guy just has a huge mad on for bison, but he has to compete with all the Hail Mary's.

I bet we would see more people hunting bison, because everyone that wins the tag, made it thier priority and they commited to making the effort fromt he time theyput it at the top of their list.

Meanwhile, as said, the guy that ust want s a bit of extra meat can be pretty sure he gets the doe draw he wants, since we dont' have hunters making it a #1 choice. I suspect most hunters apply for doe draws somewhere close to home, or somewhere they will be already hunting, and it's an "incidental" draw.

Wildman
07-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Easily Elk on Vancouver Island.

boxhitch
07-14-2008, 09:23 AM
-Current system is not weighted, all apps have the same chance. Non-discriminant
-I don't have a priority species, consider opportunity for moose and elk equally.
-I don't want to compete with someone that can afford to drop in fifty apps for any species, when I cannot commit those funds
-I could tolerate being limited to only one successful permit

-Don't give any guff about Bison, they should be GOS.

Stresd
07-14-2008, 09:31 AM
Am I missing something here?? As One problem that I see with the proposed system is that When I put in for a moose I apply in the same MU each year and this is the MU I want, Not another that I don't have a clue about. or have to spend 3 days driving to get to. I have and do hunt a pile of different MU's for other Species, but our Go to Moose area is reasonably close to home and we pull our moose out of there every year for well over 30 years. We know the area like the back of our hand as we have paid our dues in learning. Why in hell would I travel all the way to say the Spatsizi just to fill a Moose tag if that is all that was left and my name came up. Always put in for Doe tag as well And if I was drawn close to the bottom and the only tags left were in the Skeena?? Our current method Sucks but at least I can choose what MU and subMU that I put in for. In your example just what MU is the goat tag that you Pulled for. An area that you even Know or want to hunt?

Gateholio
07-14-2008, 09:37 AM
Am I missing something here?? As One problem that I see with the proposed system is that When I put in for a moose I apply in the same MU each year and this is the MU I want, Not another that I don't have a clue about. or have to spend 3 days driving to get to. I have and do hunt a pile of different MU's for other Species, but our Go to Moose area is reasonably close to home and we pull our moose out of there every year for well over 30 years. We know the area like the back of our hand as we have paid our dues in learning. Why in hell would I travel all the way to say the Spatsizi just to fill a Moose tag if that is all that was left and my name came up. Always put in for Doe tag as well And if I was drawn close to the bottom and the only tags left were in the Skeena?? Our current method Sucks but at least I can choose what MU and subMU that I put in for. In your example just what MU is the goat tag that you Pulled for. An area that you even Know or want to hunt?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that you get a random moose draw. It's just put up like that for ease of information.

You would have to list your priority hunt #

so it could look liek this

1. 5909

So if all the tags for 5909 are allocated already, you still have a shot at 6856, and so on.

Stresd
07-14-2008, 10:27 AM

So if all the tags for 5909 are allocated already, you still have a shot at 6856, and so on.

So my previous post still holds water. I don't want 6856. I want 5909. And add in this other denominator. The group I am with all put in individually as we don't use shared. We could end up pulling tags in different areas? If my name is pulled and my priority is already gone. So in this hypothetical situation all that is left for the Moose is Spatsizi and my doe tag is for the Skeena. That would mean, Four, less hunters heading up country for those leH's . I think you may find a lot more tags wasted with this hypo system than the one we have now. No Thanks. I'll stick with the old system.:wink:

Gateholio
07-14-2008, 10:37 AM
So my previous post still holds water. I don't want 6856. I want 5909. And add in this other denominator. The group I am with all put in individually as we don't use shared. We could end up pulling tags in different areas? If my name is pulled and my priority is already gone. So in this hypothetical situation all that is left for the Moose is Spatsizi and my doe tag is for the Skeena. That would mean, Four, less hunters heading up country for those leH's . I think you may find a lot more tags wasted with this hypo system than the one we have now. No Thanks. I'll stick with the old system.:wink:

Here, I will try to be a bit clearer....

don't think anyone is suggesting that you get a random moose draw. It's just put up like that for ease of information.

so it could look liek this

1. 5909-moose
2.6856- doe
3.1234-goat
4.0049-sheep

So if all the tags for 5909 (moose) are allocated already, you still have a shot at 6856 (doe), and so on. You don't get 4 chances at one species in the current system, and I don't think you should with this system.

All this system does is prioritize hunters lists, so that you get a better chance of getting one leh draw.

You can all apply to the same areas if you want to hunt together, and I dont' see why the shared moose hunts have to change, too.

Red Foreman
07-14-2008, 11:38 AM
I too would go along with the one draw per season idea,with doing the most undesirable draws last ie does.If you draw a moose it cancels all your other applications for that season.

Smokepole
07-14-2008, 11:39 AM
-Current system is not weighted, all apps have the same chance. Non-discriminant
-I don't have a priority species, consider opportunity for moose and elk equally.
-I don't want to compete with someone that can afford to drop in fifty apps for any species, when I cannot commit those funds
-I could tolerate being limited to only one successful permit

-Don't give any guff about Bison, they should be GOS.

Boxhitch... I should have been more clear in the beginning, when I said buy as many as you want, I should have said for as many species as you want. So that wouldn't change from the way it is now. I wouldn't want a system that gives an advantage to one person and not another.
I also agree there should be more GOS.

Here, I will try to be a bit clearer....

don't think anyone is suggesting that you get a random moose draw.

So if all the tags for 5909 (moose) are allocated already, you still have a shot at 6856 (doe), and so on. You don't get 4 chances at one species in the current system, and I don't think you should with this system.

All this system does is prioritize hunters lists, so that you get a better chance of getting one leh draw.

Exactly. Use the same hunt codes as you do now, if there's still a tag left when your name comes up you're the lucky winner.:) You get a better chance at getting one draw and more likely to get the one you really want. Nobody's" hail mary, I've got an extra card what should I put in for " entry is going to beat out your number 1 choice.

If more people get what they really want less tags will get wasted. Wasted tags is a problem with the current system.

mainland hunter
07-14-2008, 12:15 PM
I kinda like the idea, cali sheep for me

Koot
07-14-2008, 12:37 PM
I like it so far.I have to admit to a few hail mary's every year.(salmo sheep).Elk would be top of the list for me
Koot

Gateholio
07-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Further pondering....Currently, we hve a spot to list a second choice. Shoould that be incorporated?

So...

1. 5909, 5910-moose
2.6856, 6857- doe
3.1234. 1235-goat
4.0049, 0050-sheep

By this system, all the hunters get drawn in order, then assigned draws by what is on thier list and available.

So maybe 5909, 5910 & 6856 are all spoken for, I could still get 6857.

Now, say that if you don't get a particular moose draw, you don't want a different one. You would fill out form like this:

1. 5909-moose
2.6856, 6857- doe
3.1234. 1235-goat
4.0049, 0050-sheep

So if there are no tags left for 5909, you automatically go to your first choice for doe.

This make sense?

Gateholio
07-14-2008, 04:34 PM
Or maybe everyoen gets a crack at thier first choices, and then there is another draw for remaining second choices....

ryanb
07-14-2008, 06:27 PM
I really like this idea. There are a lot of ways it could be structured, and most of them are a heck of a lot better than the current system. The results above for goat are an excellent indicator. There are only a few very avid goathunters, but I'm guessing most people throw in a "what the heck" application, without realizing that they can't drive up a logging road in the mountains and shoot a big billy.

This is probably the best idea I've seen on how to improve the BC system, because it works well with our high odds hunts I think.

mikek blacktail
07-14-2008, 08:26 PM
I picked island elk but a kamloops sheep draw would be my second.

hunter1947
07-15-2008, 04:32 AM
Elk first ,moose second ,bison third ,deer fourth.

boxhitch
07-15-2008, 07:29 AM
Joe Meathunter wants to fill his freezer. He's not fussy about whether it is moose, elk, or doe deer.
He is in on 4 draws, say all at 10:1 odds, along with 400 other hunters.
Current system - all apps have the same chance.
Suggested system - he has to best guess which hunt would have a better chance, pick a priority, and face up that his other tags don't have a chance in hell. (actually, a lesser chance in hell, cause at 10:1 hell wins again)
Next time around only buys one tag.
X 5000 hunters = low revenue.

For high odds hunt such as Kamloops Lake sheep
Meat hunters realize they only get one kick at the can
decision to fill the freezer on GOS
Try for the once in a lifetime hunt, and apply for K Lk
Odds stay the same.

I'm sure most hunters realize now that the LEH draw is a very poor horse to bet on, and don't put alot of hope into it, so as chances dwindle, enties will too.
Apply for K Lk as a once in a lifetime hunt.
No net change to K Lk, maybe hugher odds.

boxhitch
07-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Or maybe everyoen gets a crack at thier first choices, and then there is another draw for remaining second choices....Second choice moose would have to be slotted in priority agains first choice of all other species
5910 or 6856 ?
6856 or 5910 ?

or any ranking, as second choices may fit anywhere down the list.

Gateholio
07-15-2008, 09:00 AM
Joe Meathunter wants to fill his freezer. He's not fussy about whether it is moose, elk, or doe deer.
He is in on 4 draws, say all at 10:1 odds, along with 400 other hunters.
Current system - all apps have the same chance.
Suggested system - he has to best guess which hunt would have a better chance, pick a priority, and face up that his other tags don't have a chance in hell. (actually, a lesser chance in hell, cause at 10:1 hell wins again)

But in theory, he wil have a higher chance of getting his "freezer" draw, for the same reasons that the "trophy" guys have better odds of thier draw- Because there will be less people applying for a draw as an "incidental". Liek when I throw in a local doe draw- Nice to have, but I'd way rather have a local goat tag....

Next time around only buys one tag.
X 5000 hunters = low revenue.

1, Depends on what hunts he lists and what others list. You are taking out plenty of guys who are after sheep and VI elk tags.- He may end up with 2 draws.

2- We have to decide if LEH is supposed to be managing a resource so that there is still opportunity to have a chance to hunt- Or if it's strictly revenue generation.

3- If it is revenue generation we are after, then raise the prices a bit. Currently it's $7 for a poor chance of winning a draw. I'd be happy to pay $20 to almost guarrantee I get one draw.

For high odds hunt such as Kamloops Lake sheep
Meat hunters realize they only get one kick at the can
decision to fill the freezer on GOS
Try for the once in a lifetime hunt, and apply for K Lk
Odds stay the same.

I'm sure most hunters realize now that the LEH draw is a very poor horse to bet on, and don't put alot of hope into it, so as chances dwindle, enties will too.
Apply for K Lk as a once in a lifetime hunt.
No net change to K Lk, maybe hugher odds.

Peopel will need to prioritize what is truly important to them, and that is a good thing. Makes peopel think abotu what really *is* important!!

The people that put K Lake as thier first choice are going to have better chances at winning than ever before, since few people will list it as thier first choice. Your odds get better for there- If that's what your true priority is!

The beauty thing about this system is that it gives a hunter a spot in the line...if you put K lake as yoru first choice, but the tags are already gone, then you could get your second or third or fourth choice, depending on tag avialbility. You don't lose your place in the line, so to speak.

If all you do is apply for K lake, bison, Van Isle Elk and high odds grizzly area, you migth be SOL, but if you include some better odds hunts, you should have a better chance.

Smokepole
07-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Or maybe everyoen gets a crack at thier first choices, and then there is another draw for remaining second choices....

I think for it to work best everyone's first choices have to be dealt with before anyone's alternate choice could be considered. Because the alternate is actually a second choice.

That said I'm wondering if we need to list alternate choices, I guess it would depend on the number of entries. Maybe a check box beside your entry that says you would accept any undersubscribed hunts in the area close to your first choice. This could ensure all tags get spoken for.

Fisher-Dude
07-15-2008, 12:25 PM
The results of this poll are really proving up what we've been saying all along on HBC...we are first and foremost meat hunters, and we want an elk or moose for the freezer to feed our families. The overwhelming response to these two species as our number one choices should give out the message to our game managers loud and clear: STOP this restrictive season/LEH/trophy season BULLcrap on these animals and let us hunt them! :mad:

Gateholio
07-15-2008, 12:30 PM
I think for it to work best everyone's first choices have to be dealt with before anyone's alternate choice could be considered. Because the alternate is actually a second choice.

That said I'm wondering if we need to list alternate choices, I guess it would depend on the number of entries. Maybe a check box beside your entry that says you would accept any undersubscribed hunts in the area close to your first choice. This could ensure all tags get spoken for.

You keep coming up wiht good ideas, Smokepole...:smile:

Seeadler
07-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Here is a question, with a system like this, would the number of authorizations need a major tune up? As some areas have many, say 100, tags available with the powers that be knowing full well that say 40 of the people drawn will never even buy a tag or go hunting.

The way I would understand this idea to work, after everyone is drawn, and there are still tags available, then the process would start all over.

boxhitch
07-15-2008, 10:01 PM
The way I would understand this idea to work, after everyone is drawn, and there are still tags available, then the process would start all over.
TWISI, The species draw would happen for all those that had that hunt as first priority. Second draw for that species would be for those that held that hunt as second priority and if they have not been drawn for their first . The chance of there being tags left for that second draw are little o f a. It wouldn't take long for entries to drop off.

Some permit numbers would have to be adjusted, as the level is set according to hunter success, which is tied to tag buyers, which is tied to succesful applicants.

I could see the MOE setting a new permit number at a very conservative level at the start, with some upward adjustment as things wring out over a couple of years.......or longer......

Smokepole
07-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Here is a question, with a system like this, would the number of authorizations need a major tune up? As some areas have many, say 100, tags available with the powers that be knowing full well that say 40 of the people drawn will never even buy a tag or go hunting.

I would think it might be easier for wildlife managers if they could figure out how many people are serious about going out and using their tags. But the number of authorizations given out each year should be based on populations and success rates from previous years.

Back in the old days when LEH was just starting up you picked two hunt codes per species. Beside the boxes where you entered the codes was a box you would check off if you were interested in a tag close to your area that wasn't applied for and didn't have an owner yet. Something like that could be used again if needed.

I'm also a supporter of getting rid of many of the LEH hunts and opening up more open seasons where sustainable populations exist.

Fisher-Dude
07-15-2008, 10:24 PM

Absolutely they would adjust them, downwards. The will keep the harvest levels the same, maybe even going more conservative as boxhitch suggested, to get some experience on success rates for the "new" way. This may take the shine off the proposal, as although we are ranked by our preferences, we would then be competing for fewer tags.

As far as revenue is concerned, I expect that it would tank, as instead of buying 9 cards and hoping for one or two, folks will buy 3 or 4 hoping for one or two, as anything further down the line is likely futile. You can bet that would be one of the first calculations the gov't boys will be making. Perhaps the card fee would increase to offset the loss of cards sold?

Smokepole
07-15-2008, 10:47 PM
FD... " The purpose of LEH is to achieve wildlife management objectives without resorting to such measures as shortening seasons or completely closing areas. LEH seasons are introduced where it has become necessary to limit the number of hunters, limit the number of animals that may be taken, or limit the harvest to a certain class of animal." From the front of the LEH synopsis.

Doesn't say anything about revenue.:wink: But I'm sure it's on their mind.

If more people are satisfied with the system I would think more people would participate.= more entries.

If more people get the tags they really want more people are going to buy their licenses and tags and not let their LEH go to waste. Which does happen now. Licenses and tags generate way more revenue than $6 cards. Which also happens to be a great argument for GOS.:mrgreen:

boxhitch
07-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Besides taking away that chance, beit small, but it is a chance of a once in a lifetime hunt.

A stat that would help with this new idea, would be the number of actual applicants per species, and the number of individual applicants overall the hunts. How many are actually multi-hunt applicants ?

Fisher-Dude
07-15-2008, 10:59 PM
FD... " The purpose of LEH is to achieve wildlife management objectives without resorting to such measures as shortening seasons or completely closing areas. LEH seasons are introduced where it has become necessary to limit the number of hunters, limit the number of animals that may be taken, or limit the harvest to a certain class of animal." From the front of the LEH synopsis.

If more people are satisfied with the system I would think more people would participate.= more entries.

If more people get the tags they really want more people are going to buy their licenses and tags and not let their LEH go to waste. Which does happen now. Licenses and tags generate way more revenue than $6 cards. Which also happens to be a great argument for GOS.:mrgreen:

Yep, and yep. An a special YEP to your last sentence. It's a resource that the gov't can utilize for revenues, just like growing trees to make 2x4s. :p

boxhitch
07-15-2008, 11:23 PM

Region 3 Sheep, tentative this year = 32 permits, down from 41 last year.
Last year odds for 41 = 2974 applicants X $6

With these ridiculous odds, how many are going to have Reg 3 sheep as # 1 ?
How many will be disappointed in the fact they cannot have a single chance, while trying for the priority doe deer ?

Gateholio
07-16-2008, 06:22 AM
]

With these ridiculous odds, how many are going to have Reg 3 sheep as # 1 ?

Not many. So the odds will get better for you if you place a high value on Reg 3 sheep LEH.

How many will be disappointed in the fact they cannot have a single chance, while trying for the priority doe deer ?

Again, it's what you place value on. Seems most hunters really want a moose or elk, and sheep is further down the list.

It is a different concept, for sure- Makes the individual responsible for deciding what is important to him/her.

CanuckShooter
07-16-2008, 07:18 AM
"""If more people get the tags they really want more people are going to buy their licenses and tags and not let their LEH go to waste. Which does happen now. Licenses and tags generate way more revenue than $6 cards. Which also happens to be a great argument for GOS."""

That isn't the only revenue they will consider is it? I know that in order to hunt GOS moose {because we almost never get drawn in the LEh} we have to travel hundreds of miles to hunt. In fuel alone that costs us at least $500 per rig, which we wouldn't spend if we could hunt moose near home with a reasonable chance of success. ANd they send out those nice little info collecting cards to find out where you hunt>> were you successful hunting moose in 2007, name the nearest landmark...how far from home did you travel...how many days did you hunt...$$$$$$$$ they can figure it out.

This idea [smokepole] has some merit, and from my perspective anything would be an improvement on the current system. I tapped in Goat as my first choice, because I would like to hunt them before I get too oldandfat to climb the mountain [somemightsay I am already there]....otherwise my first choice would be an ANY moose tag that was good for the entire hunting season in one of the MUs surrounding my home.

OR here is an alternative idea....I will pay $200 for an ANY moose tag good for 7-10,or 7-11,or 7-09,or 7-07. It's a matter of economics...saves money on fuel, saves wear and tear on my rig, lets me hunt my favourite spots, makes oooodles of money for wildlife enhancement and game management !!! A win win win win idea !!! And I don't have to piess around with LEH for moose and get mad every year...and put that goat/cowelk/doe etc I am after on the smokepole system.

Gateholio
07-16-2008, 07:55 AM
[quote=Fisher-Dude;303722]Absolutely they would adjust them, downwards. The will keep the harvest levels the same, maybe even going more conservative as boxhitch suggested, to get some experience on success rates for the "new" way. This may take the shine off the proposal, as although we are ranked by our preferences, we would then be competing for fewer tags.

Yes, I am sure they woudl adjust the number of tags allocated, but that isn't neccessarily a bad thing.

From what I understand, the managers calculate that 50% of the winners won't hutn, and 50% of the peopel that do hunt, will kill. They probably adjust those percentages a bit for different species/hunts.

This woudl give them much more accurate estimates- Anyone putting in for a draw is probably 85% chance of going hunting!

We all comment about how peopel draw tags and don't go, or draw tags and then come on HBC and say "I just discovered that the moose draw I got doesn't have road access. What do I do?"

This system should eliminate much of that.

Less tags, but the tags are going to the rigth people- Those that want them, and will use them.

As far as revenue is concerned, I expect that it would tank, as instead of buying 9 cards and hoping for one or two, folks will buy 3 or 4 hoping for one or two, as anything further down the line is likely futile. You can bet that would be one of the first calculations the gov't boys will be making. Perhaps the card fee would increase to offset the loss of cards sold

Currently we pay abotu $6?? Per card. I'd say average hunter in BC buys 1-2 or no cards, because he either only wants that moose or doe draw, and/or he is tired of NIL.

Others buy lots, so if we pegged it at 4-5 cards per year @ $24-$30....

Would people spend the same amount, wiht (what we think might be a better chance) at getting one draw?

Avalanche123
07-16-2008, 08:06 AM
"Would people spend the same amount, wiht (what we think might be a better chance) at getting one draw?"

I would probably think pretty hard about appying for LEH regularly if I had to pay more than $10/LEH card. LEH doesn't play enough of an important role for me in my hunting season to want to pay more.