PDA

View Full Version : 3-18 Info

MikeB
07-11-2008, 02:16 PM
Got a bull moose draw for 3-18. Any advice or help with the area would be great. Never been there before. Is there any moose? Is there any access? Thanks for the help guys.

Mike.

Stresd
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Never been there before. Is there any moose? Is there any access?

Mike.
Hi Mike. Nice draw. Curious though as to why you would apply for an Leh in an area that you have never been, and that you know very little about, that has 10.4:1 odds? There are lots of other Areas with much lower odds. No biggy to me as my moose app is in another area. Just curious. I do a lot of deer hunting in the MU though and Moose are available all through the region. Have seen some real nice bulls up in the Calling & Island Lake area. Take your fishing rod too. From there you can travell over to Chattaway Lakes. Back in above Barnes Lake at least 4 or more miles have seen nice Bullwinkles. What I am trying to say that there is a Maze of roads and access throughout that whole area. From Merrit, Spencers, Ascroft, Savona, Logan lake etc. a person with the knowledge and some good maps can go from one town to the next over top of the Mtn. Tons of great areas. Take a drive up and do alittle scouting and fishing. Best of luck in Oct.8-).

sillybear
07-11-2008, 04:39 PM
I will be there as well on a shared hunt.I don't know much about the area, but I,m sure we will learn quick. Apparently the area has been logged heavily the last five years due to the beatle kill. Maybe we will see you there! Best of luck.
Larry

Jelvis
07-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Mu 3-18 is a coveted leh moose draw, MikeB and sillybear. Jel here. I live in Kamloops. Some homework for you
Look up mu 3-18
find Tunkwa Lake--Leighton lake
find Highland Valley
find Guichon creek
find Barnes creek
find Glossy Mtn at 1920 meters.
I'll be bock. lol Jelvis. do your homework. lol

MikeB
07-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Thanks for all the great info guys. I guess I should have told you My hunt is Nov.1 to 30. How is the deer hunting there? Keep the advice coming. I'm an elk hunter so this moose thing is new.

Mike

Jelvis
07-11-2008, 07:24 PM
MikeB <--> I'm going to take you step by step through this thread 3-18 info, until you can go to a spot and see a bull moose in Mu 3-18.
First of all in November, Mu 3-18 has some of the biggest mule deer bucks in B.C. rutting during that time.
Moose in lots of different spots in mu 3-18
Did you do your homework?
Look at Barnes Lake just above Ashcroft access off Hwy 1.
See dirt roads going east from Barnes Lake this is your big muley late season in and after snow, like November.
Moose are in area and behind Tunkwa and Leighton too.
Cougar hunting is good with hounds so cougar= deer.
Check-maps and google it, got topos or a recent B.C. Recreational Atlas? Homework! Jel I'll be bock. sillybear?
When is your leh draw for and what? silly.

MikeB
07-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Jelvis you are the man! I'm doin my homework. Keep up the good work.

Jelvis
07-11-2008, 08:47 PM
We gotta get ya a bull if it's any bull you should get a nice one, we will work on closing in on a small productive spot. There is a mine there, Highland Valley Copper, check boundaries because it is closed within their area. It isn't a huge area but around it in spots there are lots of game too. I have a friend who lives in Logan Lake that knows the area good too. I'll ask him for some of his detail. Check out area on maps.
Mu 3-18-Ashcroft-Highland Valley
This paved highway climbs south and west from Ashcroft through beautiful hunting country. The whole of mu 3-18 is laced with roads; main road is the Logan Lake road which runs on into 3-19.
Access can also be on the Meadow Creek road into Logan Lake off the no 5 hwy at Lac Le Jeune turn-off drive to Logan Lake. Coming up from the lower mainland. Measure the kilometers from your place to Ashcroft up number 1 hwy and from your place up the number 5 to Logan Lake turnoff.
Weather during november could be snow or none, either way it will be good. Deer whitetailed and mule deer and moose cougar bear etc. Tunkwa Lake, has store and cabins for hunters and fishers. John the owner is a hunter. He is a member here too. I'll be bock. Jel

happygilmore
07-11-2008, 09:23 PM
mike B. and silly,
welcome to the club I finally got the 3-18 bull 10+yrs of waiting, I live in Logan Lake check your map and you'll see It's literally my back yard lived here 99% of my life. Message me for contact info you can buy me a beer and I'll point you in the right direction. Buy me a few more beers and I might help you drag it.:biggrin:

Rob
07-11-2008, 09:36 PM
Go as early as you can, When the ruts over the bulls hole up pretty good.

Jelvis
07-11-2008, 10:20 PM
When moose hunting check out around lakes, swamps and marshes. Very productive for all game. Hunt shore line in evenings away from shoreline in the day. In regions with low knolls, look for moose to be bedded on them. We'll keep on and you can do all your homework. It will pay off eventually. jel i will be back.

johnk
07-12-2008, 06:04 AM
Mike and Larry,
Congrats on your draw. If you need assistance I can direct you into a couple of spots that hold moose in November. I have been lucky enough to have drawn two November draws in the last five years. Three years ago was a shared hunt which we were successful on with the second bull being the 30th moose we had seen since the 1st. The following year was a single draw and we were unsuccessful. Everything depends on the weather. If there's snow you're golden, if not you're eating paper. For the past nine years and until this spring I have managed Tunkwa Lake Resort and that is probably a good base camp for you and if you want to PM me I can direct you from there. Chataway Mountain is another option with cabins at the resort there and a healthy population of moose on that mountain.

sillybear
07-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Thanks All! Great input.Jelvis,my shared hunt is Oct. 1.
We will probably get there Oct.3.
Thanks again, Larry

Jelvis
07-12-2008, 07:57 AM
October 1st is absolutely funtastic the rut is on and activity amoung moose increase and they will gather together more and it helps to see them. A ways to go til then but we'll all be here to help as we go along. Jel

Jelvis
07-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Weather during that time can be too warm to keep out of a cooler but could be, the way the weather is unpredictable with climate change. How many hunting in the party, how many vehicles? Tunkwa lake resort might have access to hanging meat walk in? Ask JohnK.Tunkwa lake resort for info just in case you need cooler. Think before hand, maybe a generator bring along too. Lighting for in the evening could be a whole wack of fun moose hunting. Up here in Reg 3. Jel we'll be here anyways.

sillybear
07-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Weather during that time can be too warm to keep out of a cooler but could be, the way the weather is unpredictable with climate change. How many hunting in the party, how many vehicles? Tunkwa lake resort might have access to hanging meat walk in? Ask JohnK.Tunkwa lake resort for info just in case you need cooler. Think before hand, maybe a generator bring along too. Lighting for in the evening could be a whole wack of fun moose hunting. Up here in Reg 3. Jel we'll be here anyways.

We are a two person shared hunt. If we get a moose and it is too warm we can always head home for the sunshine coast.
Larry

Jelvis
07-13-2008, 01:17 PM
AAAAAHHH-Yust a minute sillybear. No big deal yet lots of time til October but when is your tag good til what day is the last day it's legal to shoot a cow or calf on your shared leh mooose tag? Yust wondering for a minute. Jel

MikeB
07-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Just lettin you guys know this is my first draw in 7 years of trying. 5 cards a year. First time on a moose hunt, and I'll probably be doin it myself. Any advice on tactics for this area will be a great help.

Thanks.
Mike.

Jelvis
07-13-2008, 02:09 PM
No problem at all for both you hunters lucky enough to get a moose leh draw in Mu 3-18. Once you get an idea of how the land lies and the little creeks and marshes also with a map or two. Like the roads are not too bad in the areas and we don't know if there will be snow in November this season yet. Road hunting is an option and watching along a meadow etc.
I would have a centre point and radiate out from there. You could use a center point in a few spots.
In behind Tunkwa and Leightan Lakes is good to try for moose some road access and wet areas like creeks and willows. Also see roads around the base Glossy Mtn on maps in from Barnes Lake. We'll keep figureing it all out by then. Don't forget some big antlered mule deer bucks in this area as well as bull-winkles. Good cutting equipment such as sharp knife, good wood saw or meat saw, some rope normal stuff as for deer but on a lot larger scale. Heavier scale. We'll figure it out by then as we go here. Jel

Stresd
07-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Just lettin you guys know this is my first draw in 7 years of trying. 5 cards a year. First time on a moose hunt, and I'll probably be doin it myself. Any advice on tactics for this area will be a great help.

Thanks.
Mike.

A Good tactic would be to take one other person with you on your First Moose hunt. No problem shooting one. It's just what the heck are you going to do with it when down. Your lookin at one heck of a big job by yourself. This isnn't no deer we're talking about.

Jelvis
07-13-2008, 08:12 PM
Ok mike and silly some tips on moose. You find moose near water sources, lakes, streams with meadows and marshes.
Moose can hear good and can smell you quite well. If you stand still it can't see the best but a person moving he can see.
Hunting during moose rut increases your chance a lot cuz bulls find the cows and thats on his mind, the rut end of sept to through october.
Do your homework and have equipment for camping and travelling.
Colder weather is best but can find ways to work around it. Flies and yellow jackets are around in warmer weather and warmth can spoil the meat.
Spot and stalk is the method most used in a moosey environment.
Read about de-boning a moose for when weather is warmer. A partner would help a lot, a moose is heavy.
A wheeled gadget like a wheel barrow might help in some spots to get meat to truck.
Cooling the meat out is very important. Skin the quarters and hang in shady area. Pepper outside of quarters and cover with game bags.
One hint don't shoot bull or cow standing in the water, wait til moose gets out then shoot. jel Ps. If you have some canvass cover over quarters in day to keep out of sun and take off at night for a breeze to cool. We'll get this down pat sooner or later. 3-18 leh- luck-of-the-draw. Jel. Don't get discouraged it can happen with some help.

3kills
07-13-2008, 10:02 PM
if i m around and available i will help any way i can.. in nov. look for bulls in areas with lots of red willow for food...if u are seein cows in nov try gettin higher up in elevation if u can

MikeB
07-13-2008, 11:23 PM
I will get my moose! Even if it takes the entire month. Oh yea, I'm writing this stuff down so keep it comming.

Mike.

Jelvis
07-14-2008, 12:23 PM
Mike and siilybear do you have truck? Or car. Camper or tent? Shot moose before? Bled out, skinned, quartered and dragged a moose of any size at all. Hung moose quarters cooled out some?
Don't be shy cuz trying to figure out what to and how to plan for you two. One in October one in November. How many days are you actually planning on hunting.
We are thinking already and doing some planning now for your luck of the leh draw for moose.
Silly is in october for cow/calf. Mike in nov for any bull.
Are you particular as to how big a bull Mike. and silly what about dry cow or yearling calf etc. Jel-

johnk
07-14-2008, 01:59 PM
I thought cow/calf draws were Nov. 1-10 exclusively. Is the October draw something new.
Nov 12/06 we had harvested our first bull 4 days previous and were seeing too many "cow onlys" along 4200 Rd. so we went over by Bose Lk. for a change of pace. This area gets huge pressure in October so we usually avoid it. About 7:30 we walk into the bottom end of the meadow along the treeline and glass to the top of the meadow(1/2 mile) where two cows with calves are feeding on red willows. We creep up another 100 yds. until we're parallel with a large willow patch where we always see moose and we crouch/sit behind a small meadowside willow patch and wait patiently. The morning is perfect, clear skies, heavy frost, -10 and we don't have to wait long. A cow comes out of the timber 50 yds beyond the willows and walks up to the willows when you hear a grunt and she takes off for the timberline, turns around and lets out an angry bawl directed at the willows. This scenario repeats itself three times and being the sharpest pencil in the box I knew something was up. Sure enough 10 minutes later a 6x8 bull walks out, stands broadside and roars at the cow. Again being sharp I think that perhaps this is my chance. One hundred yard shot on my part, a 20 yard run on his part and it was all over......except for that pesky cow. I think she may have had a chemical imbalance or a history of mental illness in her family. We got half way to the bull and that darn cow runs out of the timber right up to where the bull is lying and starts barking at him. Funniest thing we ever saw! My friend said, "some women, eh. They'll nag, nag, nag.......ya to death and then some!
We pulled that bull out with a Suzuki Kingquad 300, had the horns up off the ground and that quad was darn close to vertical for at least half the haul.

07-14-2008, 03:23 PM
There is NO Oct. cow/calf 3-18, it's Nov. 1 to 10. LEH only.
Any Bull Oct.1 to 31, or Nov.1 to 30 also LEH.
There is a GOS for small bulls too.
Check your dates ?????
A party of us has hunted 3-18 with great success for bulls when lucky to get the draw, except for the last 2 seasons, it's been a struggle, tons of beetle kill
logging and too much native pressure, go as late as you can, possibly consider lining up snow machine's and quads. Hunt High up and look for willow draws and meadows, older log outs with willow etc.
C/T

sillybear
07-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Mike and siilybear do you have truck? Or car. Camper or tent? Shot moose before? Bled out, skinned, quartered and dragged a moose of any size at all. Hung moose quarters cooled out some?
Don't be shy cuz trying to figure out what to and how to plan for you two. One in October one in November. How many days are you actually planning on hunting.
We are thinking already and doing some planning now for your luck of the leh draw for moose.
Silly is in october for cow/calf. Mike in nov for any bull.
Are you particular as to how big a bull Mike. and silly what about dry cow or yearling calf etc. Jel-

Our draw is oct.1 bull draw. I have hunted and handled moose and other large game for more years than I care to admit. I'm hoping my much younger partner (age 22) will get to do the shooting.
We'll be using a wall tent.
Mike- Too bad our draws are at different times. We could of helped you out as well.
Thanks, Larry

Jelvis
07-14-2008, 03:42 PM
sillybear if you got any bull on October 1st in 3-18 you are good to go and yes the bull moose will be there. Good we know what's going on. Bull in October great.
You got experience and a partner and you will be fine. The luck of the leh draw. Good for you- Jel

happygilmore
07-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Moose #'s look good this year.

Jelvis
07-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Don't forget a whitetail deer tag some nice deer in thar. check the regs for gos if any Jel

johnk
07-16-2008, 10:40 PM
Don't forget a whitetail deer tag some nice deer in thar. check the regs for gos if any Jel

Not great for whitetails but last November they were rutting less than a km from Tunkwa Resort. PM me for info.

happygilmore
07-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Not great for whitetails but last November they were rutting less than a km from Tunkwa Resort. PM me for info.

really that close:shock::oops::oops:

Jelvis
07-17-2008, 01:38 PM
Highland Valley could be a center point to go out from got some whoppers up thar around the perimeter of their boundary to Crowns' land moose and deer around the area in some certain preferred spots by the ungallets. Moose and deers. Highland valley to Pimanus Lake. Could be a place for a Looky Loo, to get whitetail mules or moose. Yah got moose? lol. good mu 3-18 jells

johnk
07-17-2008, 03:48 PM
really that close:shock::oops::oops:

Yup, and last year I had a heck of a time finding any sign in the usual spots, not even a fawn track. That is until I walked the draw back into one of the rancher's grazing meadows and then I slammed my forehead against a large fir half a dozen times for not walking in there sooner. As it turned out it was the last week of the rut and the last week of November. If you go to tunkwalakeresort.com you can read my hunting reports from last season and read the story about how my stalk on a 4 pt. was interrupted by one of the wild horses.

Again, it is not a great place for whitetails and definitely no record book bucks but if your muley tags are filled.........

Stresd
07-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Highland Valley could be a center point to go out from got some whoppers up thar around the perimeter of their boundary to Crowns' land moose and deer around the area in some certain preferred spots by the ungallets. Moose and deers. Highland valley to Pimanus Lake. Could be a place for a Looky Loo, to get whitetail mules or moose. Yah got moose? lol. good mu 3-18 jells

Calling lake is a nice place to camp. Right inbetween the mine and Pimanus, with roads to both. I have seen some nice Bulls in there. Have watch lots of moose right around the western lake edge and Muley's swimming the lake. Seem to have a crossing about 3/4 of the way down the lake. To lazy to walk around must be the reason why we see them swimming the lake every year. Have never seen a Whitetail anywhere in that area, nor the Pimanus side heading down into Spences. Lots of Muleys though. Specially on that south slope.

Jelvis
07-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Mu 3-18
Spences Bridge-Merritt
Several ranch and logging roads run north from Hwy 8 into a maze of mining and logging access roads. This has always bin good mule deer area. Pressure of other hunters but try it you might like it. lol.
Ashcroft-Highland Valley
This paved hwy climbs south and west from Ashcroft through beatiful hunting country. The principle game mule deer and blue grouse. Poor hunting except for hike-ins. Barnes Lake road runs across good late season deer country comes, three kilometers west of Walhachin. (when passable) The whole of 3-18 is laced with roads toad. jel moose are pretty good in this mu and mule deer and some whitetails and grouse.---->Mu-3-18<----