PDA

View Full Version : general open elk 7-20*

07-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Well I missed my LEH, but I was thinking of going up there because I figure worst case I'll probably be able to take a cow elk.
so... my question to all of you Elk Guru's is when do I plan my trip for?
early, mid or late season? of sep 15- oct 30th.

thanks guys.

elkdom
07-11-2008, 12:23 PM
just plan your hunt while the seasons overlap ,antlered and antlerless during the GOS,bulls bugle from mid Augest sometimes into Nov after season is over,it all depends on weather and what kind of disturbance goes on in that particular area,as for the antlerless GOS before winter snows the elk can be anywhere! and specialy in 7-20 they dont move too far though out the year!

hunter1947
07-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Where i hunt in the EK ,I find that elk move around the most in the latter part of sept if the season overlaps from bulls to cows ,then go around this time frame.

elkdom
07-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Where i hunt in the EK ,I find that elk move around the most in the latter part of sept if the season overlaps from bulls to cows ,then go around this time frame.

ah come on '47 now your really given out your secrets! and mine! lol gday!

lunatic
07-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Don't waste your gas. All the elk ( and moose ) died in 7-20 last winter due to severe winter kill and ticks !:-P

browningboy
07-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Hunt there the third week of september and run close to the Kiskantawa as the elk are usually deep at this point, far and few between on the farmers fields, just because the ruts on doesn't mean they'll be wide open.8)

07-14-2008, 05:06 AM
Don't waste your gas. All the elk ( and moose ) died in 7-20 last winter due to severe winter kill and ticks !:-P

Died!!???
well so much for that idea...
:grin:

hunter1947
07-14-2008, 05:46 AM
Died!!???
well so much for that idea...
Don't ever let anyone put one over on you ,most times it is just joking or other.

The best way to find a spot in that area is to get a hold of the biologist that has worked in that area then you can find out the information you need to know ,or get ahold of the wildlife branch in FSJ and ask them to direct you to the right place to find out what you need to know..

07-14-2008, 07:04 PM
how do you get ahold of a biologist?
and what do you guys know about that program where you call in to book hunting on private farm land. the thing from the synopsis. I 'm not sure if it is a good idea because you don't know where the elk will be until your there, or almost there.

and by wildlife branch do you mean CO?

hunter1947
07-15-2008, 04:40 AM
Call the wildlife branch and start from there ,they will direct you to someone that can help you out ,if not then make an appointment with an elk biologist from there department,you should be able to go to any wildlife branch and make this happen.

As far as private land goes ,try and stay away from it unless you have there permission to hunt there land.

Try and plan your trip on hunting on crown land.

Beardy
07-15-2008, 03:01 PM
Don't ever let anyone put one over on you ,most times it is just joking or other.

The best way to find a spot in that area is to get a hold of the biologist that has worked in that area then you can find out the information you need to know ,or get ahold of the wildlife branch in FSJ and ask them to direct you to the right place to find out what you need to know..

As a wildlife biologist working in 7-20 A (mostly 7-21) for the last three years, I can tell you that last year's populations declined, but did NOT all die. In fact, I know many hunters who were successful, I saw lots of tracks, honey holes and nice six point sheds! I still think that it's worth a trip!

07-17-2008, 03:38 PM
are there maps that will help me finding out what is private and what is crown land?
where can I find them?

BCrams
07-17-2008, 03:41 PM
are there maps that will help me finding out what is private and what is crown land?
where can I find them?

Yep. Very expensive map sheets from McElanney (sp?) in Ft St John.