PDA

View Full Version : "Hunters in Area" posted sign

BigSlapper
07-10-2008, 08:42 PM
When going into a cut block, slash or valley that has "one way in-one way out" access, have you ever posted or come across a roadside sign/board alerting those coming in after you of "Hunters in the Area", etc. ????

Came across this last season and thought it was an interesting way of letting those know that the area ahead is being hunted ... certainly may stop those unaware from running their quad/vehicle etc., through the area you are hunting?

The sign was professionally done/sprayed (approx. 3ftX3ft plywood/white writing on black propped up with rocks-you absolutely could not miss it!), and let us know that their were 3 hunters in the area and that a camp was ahead ... it seemed someone had done a pretty exhaustive job in preparing for their hunt !
Anyway ... we turned around and headed into another area (should have gone in a day earlier!:cool: ...)

BS

jrjonesy
07-10-2008, 08:46 PM
In Theory is a good idea..until people start thinking its a good way to keep others out of there hunting areas and start posting and leaving signs around even when they're not there.

BigSlapper
07-10-2008, 08:55 PM
good point !... we just assumed that the area was being hunted - we didn't check (which is I guess what they were hoping for)

Rob
07-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Ive come across areas where someone has posted a "no hunting" sign, and I know this is crown land, so I ignored it an continued on. Pretty easy for someone to buy some signs from the local hardware store and post them up at there favorite place. If I wasnt a local I would have turned around and gone somewhere else

308Lover
07-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Drove up a one-way/dead end road last year. Came across 3 guys in camo just splitting up to hunt--apologized for making noise, turned around. Wish the rest of the world would be as considerate of me.Do unto others etc. BUT! Also had many hunters block a road with their camp and then have the remainder as their own! Not a good idea!

Rob
07-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah blocking a public road isnt a good idea at all, their lucky they didnt come back to flat tires on their trailer, not that I would do that :roll:. Rob

Blainer
07-10-2008, 09:34 PM
I had a couple guys come in a cut block that a friend and I were staking out,we waved to let them know we were there and it did'nt deter them.
After a bit we went and retrieved the truck and parked in the middle,fired up the chain saw and started cutting wood,and it was in there best interest not to approach us,kind of a respect thing and I would respect the sign.

BigSlapper
07-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Interesting comments ... so the sign itself was not blocking the road but off to the side ... set up at the base of a small bridge over a creek leading up into the area ... so I never took exception to it - seemed polite, informative and not "overbearing" (beware!!!, etc). I knew that it was a "one way in-one way out" spur (many others wouldn't I suppose?) ... it was clear in my mind that we just weren't there early enough. Had we proceded we would have looked like asses perhaps? ... and may have provoked confrontation ?
anyway ... Good on em for being focused I guess !

Rob
07-10-2008, 09:52 PM
BigSlapper, I would have done the same as you and turned around.Hunitng ethics is similar to fly fishing rivers- If you see someone fishing a pool you move on to the next one.Rob

BigSlapper
07-10-2008, 09:57 PM
agreed ... I'm actually thinking that I might try this "polite" tactic this year. I'm tired of hunting "dead end spurs" that others come into, drive past my parked and "off to the side" truck and start banging around, smoking, talking etc.

riflebuilder
07-10-2008, 10:36 PM
I think it is a good idea, nothing worse than getting in to an area and waiting for first light to have a truck come over the hill just as you can start to see things.

elkdom
07-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Id love to see someone explain this theory to a CO, oh we got here first so we POSTED the area so WE are the exclusive resident hunters! any Crown land is usable in a lawfull manner by absolutly anyone,whether you hunt , quad , hike, take photo's, or just feel like taking a 'pee' down that cut line! man I have heard some corney ideas but this one tops the list!

BigSlapper
07-10-2008, 11:13 PM
It seems to me that the idea here is more "informative" than a confrontational "keep off my grass-this is my exclusive area" ...
Elky, no one is going to stop you from doing what you want to do on crown land but as was eluded to earlier, one would hope that there be some respect among us.
We all choose to live our lives in different ways ...;)
I thought it was a well thought out, informative and non-confrontational way of letting us know someone had done their homework early ...
I respect that.

elkdom
07-10-2008, 11:29 PM
It seems to me that the idea here is more "informative" than a confrontational "keep off my grass-this is my exclusive area" ...
Elky, no one is going to stop you from doing what you want to do on crown land but as was eluded to earlier, one would hope that there be some respect among us.
We all choose to live our lives in different ways ...;)
I thought it was a well thought out, informative and non-confrontational way of letting us know someone had done their homework early ...
I respect that.

No prob with the consideration part of this thread but I am sure that posting an area ,hunters at werk won't cut it when the CO says whats going on here? and i'm not trying to be nasty,but the fact is no one can show anywhere in the reg's that it is suggested or condoned to post crown land warning others ,either by choice or intimidation that an area has become exclusive simply by another person whom maybe has gotten there minutes or hours earlier, and besides it is CLEARLY explained that interfearing with a LEGAL hunt is an offence under the statutes of the Wildlife Act, so any attemt to discourage or deny another licenced hunter from entering or pursuing his quarry would be considered interferance! I dont write the laws,I just obey them! alls good!

BlacktailStalker
07-11-2008, 12:01 AM
I prefer the, "Fallers working, road closed" sandwich board and surveyors tape :biggrin:

BigSlapper
07-11-2008, 12:04 AM
Interesting point re: the "interference" aspect. Although I know the law, I had not thought of this. Not sure it would apply in this situation however.

... the sign was worded and placed in such a manner as to be more informative rather than interfering with our hunt (and was not implying "keep out for the reminder of hunting season"). We could have hiked up into the area but we were now aware that others were already there before us ... we decided from a respect and safety perspective we would move on to another area ...
I'm just thinking logically ... I would rather know that someone was already there than to hike an hour in, only to have a couple of camo'd hunters suddenly emerge, ticked off because their morning hunt has been disturbed (or interfered with :shock:)... or worse ....
Anyway ... still think it's a good idea

Gateholio
07-11-2008, 01:14 AM
I don't see the big deal...

Someone was hunting an area, and put up a sign that let others know that they were hunting.

The sign didn't say "We are hunting here, so bugger off"

Nobody is denying access via physical barrier, just giving information. Those that would use it for target practice woudl be willfully destroying private property, and could be charged with an offense.

happygilmore
07-11-2008, 02:06 AM
It's no diferent than leaving a truck parked at the start of the road (off to the side) tells me that someone is hunting down that road, saves me the trouble of driving down there I'll go elsewhere, if there was a spot down that road I really wanted to hit i'd still go. life's to short and the bush is to big to get pissed when they want the same thing as me - to be left alone.

sneg
07-11-2008, 02:18 AM
I think this kind of sign is more informative than anything else. it tells you that somebody might be at your intended area and therefore save you the effort to drive and find out youself.Do you want to verify it or if you want to be in the area with other hiunters is up to you.

Chameleon
07-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Seems like a good isea to me, but as already said becomes ineffective if signs are just left up to deter people on crown land.

Stresd
07-11-2008, 07:09 AM
What a great Idea:shock: Will have to go buy about fifty sandwich boards and make some informations signs up. Place them on all the skidder and side roads in the area we hunt.:razz::razz: Not bloody likely.:oops: But I can certainly see people trying it, in order to disuade other people from hunting in, What they think is their own private Hunt Zone:mad:

hunter1947
07-11-2008, 07:39 AM
I myself would respect this sign but only if this road ended a sort distance in.

If the road continued in for miles from where there sign was set up then I would continue to head in.

Some hunters think they own the area and put up things like this to keep you and others out of that area.

Like I said if this road continued in foe 5 miles or greater I would be ignoring there sign.

I have had this happen a couple times in my hunting carrier with the sign ,I found out the road passed through 15 miles to a norther road.

pikey
07-11-2008, 08:43 AM
Just leave a sign in the window of your truck saying "hunting in here" or whatever. Your not posting crown land, it's just a sign inside your own truck.

I do this sometimes, not to reserve land, but to let other hunters know that I'm in the area, hopefully they won't shoot the first thing that moves.

thatskindafunny
07-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Carry a felt pen and write on their sign, we're in here too, if you need help find us. :mrgreen:

elkdom
07-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Carry a felt pen and write on their sign, we're in here too, if you need help find us. :mrgreen:

HA HA HA LMAO ! good one there !

Stresd
07-11-2008, 09:25 AM

:smile:Love it.http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g86/Stresd/icon_super.gif

BigSlapper
07-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Funny how some here rush to assume that whoever put up the sign was "Reserving" the area for his/her own PRIVATE use i.e., "staking a claim" on crown land.
It just didn't even come close to feeling like this ...
... and shooting at the sign :roll: ... wow, REALLY bright !

We came across the sign and in no way thought that this was a "reserved-get out or else" area and that we better buggar off.

Like Gatehouse said so eloquently ... "whats the big deal" ???

stanway
07-11-2008, 09:35 AM
It's kind of sad really, that we have to start putting up signs.

People don't seem to use 'common sense' and 'courtesy' anymore - like when a truck is parked at the beginning of a spur road, and people still drive up it. We've all had it happen to us.

There just isn't the respect for other hunters anymore. If someone was able to get their ass out of bed before me, then they deserve to be hunting that area. Simple. Move on.

And for the record, yes, I would respect that sign and move on.

James

BCrams
07-11-2008, 09:50 AM
For 2 straight years I scouted an area for elk and knew they were in there to hunt prior to the opening. And two years in a row someone set up a trailer at the entrance to the area I wanted to hunt.

I was dejected but I left the area to let the fellow hunt. Eventually within a few weeks it was gone.

Same thing happened the 2nd year.....same trailer same truck. I didn't hunt the area.

3rd year ......same trailer showed up as I expected ... but at this point, I had invested plenty of off season scouting so I told myself that I was going to just go right in and hunt anyways because I knew the area was big enough. So opening morning, I park a km down and we walked right past the trailer in the dark thinking "you snooze you loose" ....

We had a good mornings hunt and on our way out -- we didn't run into the others ... got to the trailer and realized it was a cold camp.

They deliberatly hung a shirt, parked a truck and trailer there to show hunters they were there .......but they weren't. I hunted that spot with glee for an entire week without seeing them with that new found knowledge they probably only hunted on weekends but wanted to keep other people out. (perhaps the owner of that trailer lurks this site!)

I have seen signs in the past but I will ignore them until I actually see proof in the pudding that there are guys hunting ..... often locals will put signs up to deter other hunters out during the week and only hunt on the weekends themselves.

ruger#1
07-11-2008, 10:22 AM
To all the people that want to block access to logging roads, Remember if the fire crews cannot get in, then you can be charged, your vehicle will also be towed.

BigSlapper
07-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Certainly blocking access is a "no no" ...

The sign we came upon was neatly set up off to the side of the spur fork that led up into a high slash and beyond into a back alpine valley - as I said, it was the only access into this area but was NOT blocked with no "intimidation" attached.

It's a tough call .... do you keep on going up into the area you have scouted knowing that chances are it is being actively hunted, or ? ...
When we backed out of there we went further down and across the valley to the oposite side. When we glassed across the valley, we could see their truck and camper, tarps etc, set up where we were going to set up ...

The reason I'm so dogged in this thread is that I've spent a ton of time scouting this area and don't want to be disappointed again (I feel your pain BCRams!) - and yes I will be in there early!

As for a general consensus ... it seems to be pretty split

elkdom
07-11-2008, 11:23 AM
To all the people that want to block access to logging roads, Remember if the fire crews cannot get in, then you can be charged, your vehicle will also be towed.

true enough ruger#1, but if such took place as fire crews responding to emergency,then I severly doubt there would be calls made to get "Bubba's " tow truck to remove any camping equipment, pickup trucks or motorhomes ! the blade of a D6 bulldozer would make short work of that problem! fire crews do not need any permission to pass responding to emergencies,and so they shouldnt!

Gateholio
07-11-2008, 11:53 AM
[quote=BigSlapper;301776]
... and shooting at the sign :roll: ... wow, REALLY bright !
I admit I'm not the shining star that you are!
My point is NO SIGNS. ”PERIOD.”:mad: I don’t care what you think but if I see this kind of a sign while hunting on “crown land “ I will simply remove it & take it back to camp & use it for firewood or practice. Last year north of Gang a group of hunters parked a large trailer in the middle of a cross road. (preventing others from access).They painted signs with names on large rocks and hung ribbon on all the side roads leading to their camp. Also we saw native signs on major x-roads (no trespassing -this is so & so land) Needless to say they didn’t last long(torn down with many bullet holes) We would NOT touch a
native sign! I remember the old Gang days when they had NO HUNTING OR TRESPASSING signs on “crown land”. It worked!
Whenever we see a camp or hunters on foot we ALWAYS leave & look for another area. We don’t have to be told to stay away!

Why do you feel it is your right to destroy or steal someones property?

peterrum3
07-11-2008, 12:24 PM
My goodness, this has been an interesting post. We go from the beginning where it would appear that someone is probably being considerate of others and letting them know they are hunting the area to lets shoot up the sign and burn it.
Come on guys, if you only have one small area to hunt then you have problems. This province is loaded with areas to go. If I am going out on a day hunt I have a choice to go to a couple of different areas and if I really want to go to a great spot I make sure that I am up early and I get it first. If not, and someone gets there before me then so be it, on to another spot.
I tend to agree with Slapper who started this, the sign was just being informative and I would respect that unless it was proven otherwise. Personally I would never put up a sign, usually my truck parked at the beginning of a spur road, and not blocking it, should be enough to let people know I am in the area. Do they have to respect that, no, but most people do and most of you reading this would more than likely go elsewhere.
By and large most people would put up the sign for the right reasons but yes there are exceptions like everything in life. There are idiots amongst us who would try to deceive for whatever motive. Your call on how you deal with it but the way I look at it, there is always another day. My 2 cents worth.

hunter1947
07-11-2008, 12:24 PM
If a sign said ,3 of us are hunting in here and your are more then welcome to hunt this area as well ,why the sign is there is to let you know that 3 hunters are in this area ,we put the sign up for safety reasons.

I can except the wording on a sign that said that.

elkdom
07-11-2008, 12:42 PM
In my opinion any " unsanctioned " signs are an eysore and considered litter, I for one do not enjoy seeing any sort of junk when I am in the wilderness,when I see home made UGLY signs it reminds me of what I went into the forest to forget! now if I observe someone is hunting a zone I may choose to avoid that zone, purely out of courtesy,but as for avoiding an area because some clown has put up his own "please let me have this area to myself sign" then I would have to agree with MPOTZOLD ! I would be packin out that junk and disposing of it! and if your worried about safety then I would suggest you to wear HUNTER ORANGE ! instead of camo!

BigSlapper
07-11-2008, 01:23 PM
Too funny ... LOL !!!!!

You are right Peterrum - interesting thread ... definitely and unexpectedly for some:p, exposes raw nerves and anger issues ... lol !

For those that want to flatten tires, burn, shoot, torch, lynch, etc ...life's too short my friends ... I think you are missing the point of the thread ... there was no GET OUT, no KEEP AWAY, no PRIVATE HUNTING AREA, there was no INTIMIDATION, there was no BLOCKED ACCESS, no RESERVED-STAY OUT!, no PRIVATE PROPERTY .... merely a well built 3x3 sign off to the side that was respectful, informative, unemotional, neat, tidy ... and the spelling was correct !!
It was ALL about respect, safety, courtious behaviour and planning ...
Some of the things I value ...
Anyway ...
Probably set up by a group of good guys any one of us would enjoy sitting down over a beer with to swap stories ... well most of us anyway :razz:

Avalanche123
07-11-2008, 01:52 PM
This is common practise in Quebec as there are signs in alot of places that hunters have put up. Problem was it almost seemed territoral. I was a kid back then so I never really looked into it.

I am not so sure how popular a sign that like would be during an 8 day Moose GOS season. I myself would respect it as I tend to avoid hunters however I am sure there are a lot of people that would not.

I myself could never figure out why someone would go into a dead end spur if a vehicle was already parked there?

A number of years ago I went into an area that I hunted regularly a little after dawn (I was abit late). I hunted my way in to the bottom of a stand and then started up the tree. Just as I reached the level of the stand, I came eye to eye with a pair of boots....Low and behold there was already another hunter in there! I apologized, felt sheepish however both of us thought it was funny in the end. (Note: There were three ways into this stand....)

Try the sign method and report back. I am sure it will be interesting.

wolverine
07-11-2008, 02:04 PM
... and the spelling was correct. Ha,ha.... now that's funny!I personally have no issues with the sign you are talking about. If some else is in there and it's a dead end spur, so be it. I don't want to be in there anyway if it's full of hunters. Hell, if I want that I'll hunt the Skagit on opening day.... what a freakin' gong show that is! I was on a Moose hunt one year up the Nechako. After a long haul into where we made camp we settled in for the night and up bright and early the next morning. About a click out of camp on a trail junction there was a sign, hand painted with a red spray bomb, runs and all just to make it look more ominous. It said in large bold letters running blood red. "CAUTION !!! GRIZZLY ATTACK IN THIS AREA!!! Well, that kinda makes the hair stand up on your arms for a few days. Anything goes "crunch" in the bush and you're crapping little green spiders! About 5 days later we made our way out to Nazko on our way to an new area and stopped at the general store to pick up a few things. We got talking to the owner and we mentioned the sign and he started laughing. He told us that there had been no griz attack that one of the guides posts that sign to scare hunters off so he can keep the area to himself. NOW THAT'S DIRTY. I felt like going all the way back and leaving a message for him with some specific directions of my own. But the sign that you saw posted... meh....no biggy. I appreciate not wasting my time going up there only to find a camp.Cheers.

behemoth
07-11-2008, 02:51 PM
signs, signs everywhere a sign
blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

wolverine
07-11-2008, 03:12 PM
signs, signs everywhere a sign
blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

Hey, that was one of the first songs my band ever played when we were in high school. Either you're old like me or you've been listening to your Dad's LP's!Cool.

Stresd
07-11-2008, 03:47 PM
If a person is new to an area, how would they know that the road just went in a bit, or was a short spur until one drives into it and checks it out? Just because there is a sign, I don't always believe what it says. Check this out and read the signs.:wink: My grad year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLm3HMG8IhM

Trapper
07-11-2008, 04:06 PM
putting signs up is B.S. One year a guy put a sign up saying there was five hunters in the field,when actually it was just one guy bowhunting it himself left the sign there all week.quite obviously he wanted the field for he's own.Maybe i'll rent a billboard just east of Cranbrook so i can detour hunters from hunting my area.Wake up!

Fixit
07-11-2008, 04:41 PM
People don't seem to use 'common sense' and 'courtesy' anymore - like when a truck is parked at the beginning of a spur road, and people still drive up it. We've all had it happen to us.
James

isnt that kind of assuming that everybody driving down a loggin road is a hunter?

what about people that are out 4x4ing, exploring, riding atvs/dirtbikes, hiking, driving to there favorate fishing spot????

I agree that its unfortunate to have your hunt disturbed (assuming that it effects it negativly) but you cant claim a section of the forest because your truck is parked off to the side, and its unrealistic to think that other non hunters would understand this.

moosinaround
07-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Can't we all just share? BC is a large area. There are millions of areas to hunt in. Just because you "think" it is your "secret" spot doesnot mean it is not someone elses "secret" spot. When I was cruising timber I used to see lots of "secret" spots before a lot of others. once logged it wasn't a "secret" anymore. Sign or no sign if it is crown land "everyone" is alowed to be there, wheather you where there first or not! Now common courtesy and ethics come to play and as true "sportpeople" we should respect someone elses right to be there, they didn't sleep in. Moosin

BigSlapper
07-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Good point FixIt .... is this then reason enough to subtly alert those unknowing, that hunters are in the area? hmmmn?

Still can't see anything wrong with a generic and non-threatening/unemotional sign that "alerts" folks that a "one way in-one way out" area is being hunted ...

Why is it any different than coming a cross a "Logging/Falling in Progress" sign ... sure makes me aware that I should keep my eyes open or that I would probably do better in an area that was not otherwise occupied ...

BCbillies
07-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Just leave a sign in the window of your truck saying "hunting in here" or whatever. Your not posting crown land, it's just a sign inside your own truck.

I do this sometimes, not to reserve land, but to let other hunters know that I'm in the area, hopefully they won't shoot the first thing that moves.

The sign in the window is a good idea and something I may start doing. Had our trucked towed once when parked along the highway while we were up the mountain. Was not blocking any of the road or a driveway - someone just called in to tow it away and guess who had to pay! :twisted: Nothing worse that getting back to the road whooped like a puppy and no truck, chips or beverages to be found!

Seems like lots of people want to know why the vehicle is there. Had the cops call my wife once as someone reported our truck deep up a valley as it hadn't moved in 3 days. Gimme a break, I was just out doing what I like to do - goat hunting! A sign in the window may help to inform others what you are up to and that there's no need to call for backup! :wink:

Came across a sign posted on the road this spring right were we were bear hunting that said "Survey Crew - No hunting". A minute later we saw a treeplanter waltzing up the road. We turned around and used another road that was nearby. Could still see the block where they were planting but we gained access to the same area via a road with no signage. IMHO...I think they would be better off with a sign that read "Treeplanters in Area - Hunters Welcome"!

CRS
07-11-2008, 09:04 PM
[quote=BCbillies;301967]The sign in the window is a good idea and something I may start doing. Had our trucked towed once when parked along the highway while we were up the mountain. Was not blocking any of the road or a driveway - someone just called in to tow it away and guess who had to pay! :twisted: Nothing worse that getting back to the road whooped like a puppy and no truck, chips or beverages to be found!

Seems like lots of people want to know why the vehicle is there. Had the cops call my wife once as someone reported our truck deep up a valley as it hadn't moved in 3 days.

Been there. I do this when fishing hike in lakes and will also post a note on my window when hunting, b/c I came back to my jeep one time with a 4X4 rescue wrecker manouvering to pull me out b/c someone had reported my truck "dumped". Lucky I ended my fishin trip early that day! Info sign in truck, to me, seems fine, on a road.......can't say as I agree.

happygilmore
07-11-2008, 10:19 PM
I would say that parking your truck seems to be the deciding factor. A sign left beside the road leaves to much to question...how old is it...are they claiming this road...is anyone really in there? But if your truck is parked at the start of the road most people will respect that, a note on the dash seems to be a good idea for some.
If I set up camp and I didn't want people to fly by on atv or truck (i have young kids) I would simply leave a sign that said "slow please hunting camp" If someone came to our camp out of respect (we were there first)and said they had scouted the area for weeks and wanted to hunt it we would say go for it! It's a respect thing.
Once we hiked all morning to get to the top of this saddle hunting cariboo, only to find out we were only minutes behind two other hunters, they were there first we asked them what direction they were headed and if it was ok if we went the another way.
On the contrary we were glassing a sheep one day trying to see if he was legal when a truck pulled up behind us, we told the guy we were trying to make a descision, he told us they had planned all morning to climb that hill and they are going... If they would have asked if we minded it would have been ok, but to bully us and start going after a sheep we were glassing first from where we were glassing it is ignorant. What did this guy want? a race to see who could climb to the top of this hill and shoot first? he nearly came back to slashed tires.
Hunters are teritorial it's a fact! But most of us were raised right and are respectful as well. wow that's a long one

Gateholio
07-11-2008, 10:28 PM
Whetehr someone has posted a sign, or just parked his truck on the side of the road- It's up to you to decide what to do.

If an informational sign is so offensive, and you believe that it is someone trying to lock you out of an area. Just keep going, if you want....

No need to shoot it or burn it. How would you like it if someone else shot, stole or burned your property?

mrdoog
07-11-2008, 10:42 PM
A vehicle parked to the side of a road is sign enough.
If it's parked in an area that I know the road passes right through, I'll continue on.
This is why scouting / knowledge of an area is important.

I have a 2wd vehicle, so quite often I'm parked well before the road gets bad.
My wife is usually in the vehicle doing crosswords.
She tells me that people stop all the time, making sure she's OK, then asking where I am.
She tells them I'm probably huffing and puffing up a hill near by.

Gateholio
07-12-2008, 12:33 AM
I disagree! Why?
-any unauthorized sign on “crown land” is NOT private property! (IMO)
-under what Act or Reg & by whom would I be charged by removing some offensive(IMO) unauthorized warning sign??
-every year we precut firewood & hide it well (with notes attached under dark plastic) at a couple of our regular campsites but someone almost always finds it & helps themselves. :mad:It only belongs to you when you are
there!
-according to Forest & Range Practices Act (see Forest Recreation Regs Sec. 15) one needs authorization to erect a sign on crown land (otherwise it’s nothing more than junk!)
-once authorized it should read “Do not remove, alter, destroy or deface ..without lawful authority of the Ministry….”
Correct me if I’m wrong as I read the Act & its Regulations very quickly!

Look at it this way..If someone left a sign saying "gone for 3 days, be back on Oct 22" on the side of the road, next to thier truck, would you see fit to destroy or steal it? It's an informational sign. Same for a sign someone has placed notifying huting in the area. Same as the signs they place that says "active falling" The sign doesn't "forbid" you from doing anything , it's just for info. Same for the "hunters here" sign. It's just for info, not trying to stop you from doing anything. It's not a NO TRESSPASSING sign which clearly has intent.

Finally, since you bring the law into this...Who made you the administrator of such laws? If you find said sign offensive, your only legal recourse is to contact local CO's and have them deal with it.

You can not like it all you want, and you can ignore it all you want, but you have no authority to remove others property.

BigSlapper
07-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Potzy
What makes an informative "Hunters in Area" sign un-authorized?
... and who should decide if an informative message is "un-authorized" and therefore should be burned or shot?
Does this mean the "Assistance Needed" sign/message (if used) we see on the reverse side of the car windshield sun-screen is un-authorized?
Perhaps the "Caution Children at Play" informative signs that concerned parents put up in the neighborhood are "un-authorized" and should be burned or shot up?
Way too funny !!! lmao

TIKA 300
07-12-2008, 05:53 PM
I think myself i would back off from there also(just out of respect)

Last Oct,we had 2 guys on quads catch up to us while we were on foot,talked with them briefly,then the 1st guy says you were here 1st so we'll turn around :shock: than DID

I once had a friend hang an OUT OF ORDER sign on a johnny on the spot @ a crowded scouts event,and the funny thing about it was,it kept people out :D:D (gave him his own private CRAPPER LOL)

mud-dog27
07-12-2008, 06:10 PM
i think the truck at the side of the road is sign enough its what ive always been taught so i move on to the next spot but like said common curtosiy seems to be few and far between which is apparent in potzy comments as far as im concern the sign is just letting others know that they are hunting and would prefered to be given room for a bit and secondly its a nice safety measure

plus it makes gun owners and hunters look bad with moron behavior like that

but thats just my opinion

stanway
07-12-2008, 06:25 PM
isnt that kind of assuming that everybody driving down a loggin road is a hunter?

what about people that are out 4x4ing, exploring, riding atvs/dirtbikes, hiking, driving to there favorate fishing spot????

A dead-end spur during hunting season would be fair to "assume", yes.

I agree that its unfortunate to have your hunt disturbed (assuming that it effects it negativly) but you cant claim a section of the forest because your truck is parked off to the side, and its unrealistic to think that other non hunters would understand this.

So, are you the guy that came screaming up the spur road and did a big dirt-spraying donut before taking off back down the spur road? That was nice.

hunter1947
07-13-2008, 05:32 AM

You hit the nail dead center Pikey ,that is a very good idea the sign is there for safety reasons and no other ..

KodiakHntr
07-13-2008, 07:07 AM
We had a good mornings hunt and on our way out -- we didn't run into the others ... got to the trailer and realized it was a cold camp.

They deliberatly hung a shirt, parked a truck and trailer there to show hunters they were there .......but they weren't.

Didn't happen to be near Cranbrook did it? Had the exact same thing happen to me, but I wasn't as considerate as you, figured you snooze you lose, and toured on past....3 years in a row, got into elk every time we went in.

Discovered it was a cold camp on the third year, when I ran into the guy just coming in on the weekend.

ruger#1
07-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Why not put a gate up. the hell with the sign that can be removed. It just sounds to me like someone wants their own private hunting grounds.

hunter1947
07-13-2008, 07:44 AM
I have been thinking about this sign thing for a while this morning and I have come to the conclusion that I think putting a sign in the area or in your truck or other would be the wrong thing to do.

Reason I have changed my mind is when anyone drives up to a truck or other ,do you stop your truck get out and start hunting ,NO you have respect for those that are hunting the area.

You would head on buy them for several miles and hunt another place if it were a dead end road and a truck was parked at the end of the road ,you would turn around and leave this spot..

ruger#1
07-13-2008, 07:54 AM
I have been on power line access roads where some one put up a sign that said, no hunting , this area is guided by so n so, funny thing is it looked like a five year old wrote it. Putting a sign that says hunters hunting in the area, does this mean they are road hunting or are they hunting in the bush, and if someone new to the are doesn't know the road is a dead end, it could be a through road.Maybe these people should put a sign on their back that reads. Hunter Hunting. Really why is the sign there?, someone scared they are going to get shot at. I also look at it as another thing that is going to detour new hunters.

Statler
07-13-2008, 08:15 AM
As for signs of the side of roads sounds like an interesting idea but if it would work or not would be wholly dependant on the person who came across it. I'm sure some of you have encountered other hunters when in the bush. I've even been passed by some on quads when on foot hiking up a trail. When your in one of the GOS on opening day it can be a gong show. There can be times when basic courtesy just doesn't exist in the frenzy to get to "the spot". I'm sure some have seen the rolling stop, the crazy bail out and guns pointing at any leaf that twitches syndrome or whats that? Lets scope it. Who cares the rifle is loaded and its a person they're looking at. So no, I don't think it would work. You would have to assume that the person reading it would respect it and that could be assuming quite a bit. Also, would I want to put a sign in or next to my new truck telling others that I'm hunting? Hmm.. maybe not. Lots of eco-freaks out there that burn logging equipment and such just because they have a strong point of view. There are also a lot of the very same who have a strong dislike of hunting so would I advertise it? Probably not. Would rather have that guy pass me on the trail and curse him silently for being an ass than come back to a burned out truck.

Sharkey
07-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Personally, I don't see it beign any different than my "Dog In Yard" sign I have. It just means there's a dog in my yard. That sign meant that there were hunters in the area - just letting people know to look out. I myself would appreciate that sign. I would still go down the road, but would keep an eye out for the hunters. Last fall I was driving down the road with my hunting partner and we passed about 6 trucks in an area in about 10 minutes. Just after passing the 6th truck, a 4 point whitetail and 3 does dart right across the road in front of us! So, just because there are other hunters in the area, doesn't mean all the deer are hiding! And no - we didn't get him... he was too quick!

BigSlapper
07-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Potzy, Potzy, Potzy ...
Someone needs a hug !!! :biggrin:
Just a sign my friend ... it's just a sign:wink:

sealevel
07-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Did the sign say three hunters keep out . no it said three hunters in the area . maybe they were just scared of getting shot.

308Lover
07-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Just one little observation---if you are familiar with most every road in your hunting spot, it's easy to know if roads are dead-ends within a few hundred metres or so, but if not, then you can be conned by the hogs. I often was tempted to post a sign alongside the road when entering a huge clearcut and hunting with one or two friends. You can be killed hunting clearcuts, when road hunters decide to potshot a grouse, or "take a few practice shots" while relieving themselves on the road. It's a very tough call, but I'm leaning toward ignoring signs and not posting one myself, since the old courtesy of turning around when a vehicle is parked ahead of you close to a dead-end seems to have died out too.

behemoth
07-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Hey, that was one of the first songs my band ever played when we were in high school. Either you're old like me or you've been listening to your Dad's LP's!Cool.

No, just old like you :wink:

Stone Sheep Steve
07-14-2008, 03:15 PM
I'd like to hang a sign like that on my front door. Bad guys may think twice about entering8-).

SSS

2slow
07-14-2008, 04:40 PM
I don't see the big deal...

Someone was hunting an area, and put up a sign that let others know that they were hunting.

The sign didn't say "We are hunting here, so bugger off"

Nobody is denying access via physical barrier, just giving information. Those that would use it for target practice woudl be willfully destroying private property, and could be charged with an offense.

agreed I would'nt mind a heads up to know who is in the area. Also if it is a dead end most hunters who have a little bit of respect would turn around and not try to mess up someone else and their hunt

wolverine
07-14-2008, 05:12 PM
No, just old like you :wink:

That's okay, I found that I can do twice as much with age and treachery than I could with youth and enthusiasm! Welcome to the club!:tongue: