PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Rain Gear

ruttinbuck
07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
Heading north in Sept.
Been reading about the willow jungles that choke alot of valleys.In my readings of late guys are saying how tough the willow can be on rain gear.
I have a sierra designs coat and rock water design pants,I am looking at upgrading but can't say whether this gear will be tough enough,or is there something that will stand up to the willows?
Judging by the country on Google Earth I will definately be dealing with willowed valley bottoms for access.
What say ye back country enthusiasts?
What works great?
Anyone that uses they product mentioned does it stand up?
THX RB

Avalanche123
07-10-2008, 09:31 AM
I am sure you have heard of this (maybe not) but take a look at Sitka Gear
http://www.sitkagear.com/

It appears they have some very good product lines. If I had not just ordered a complete set of wool camo, I would be considering this stuff. I think I will in the future though.

I own lots of softshell clothing for the work I do and I always wondered why no camo company didn't latch onto this type of material. Sitka Gear has.....

They would be my choice.

bigwhiteys
07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
Been reading about the willow jungles that choke alot of valleys.In my readings of late guys are saying how tough the willow can be on rain gear. I have a sierra designs coat and rock water design pants,I am looking at upgrading but can't say whether this gear will be tough enough,or is there something that will stand up to the willows?

I have the rock water designs pants... They will stand up to pretty much any of the willows... I've put mine through miles and miles of willows and buckbrush.

Most of the time I find that I don't even wear the rainpants anymore. I wear my North Face convertible pants instead. My legs get wet but they dry within 10 minutes next to a fire or when the rain stops. I hate slagging through the brush and being all sweaty from rain gear.

Layering is the key for me...

Carl

boxhitch
07-10-2008, 10:03 AM
I wear my North Face convertible pants instead. My legs get wet but they dry within 10 minutes next to a fire or when the rain stops.I like your thinking. Too bad most trekking wear is so light and thin.
i bought a pair of nylon tactical pants from Kelowna Surplus, Double knees and bum.

For rain gear I have always relied on Pioneer Wear tied behind the cantle for the heavy stuff. And carry HH impertech in the day pack, just for getting of the mountain.

Fisher-Dude
07-10-2008, 10:06 AM
I just roll the windows up and turn the wipers on.

BCrams
07-10-2008, 10:49 AM
I have used everything in the past from pioneer, to lightweight shells of various brands, to HH impertech ..... and I finally bit the bullet last year when I bought the Arc Teryx Theta AR rain jacket in basalt colour. Its the best you can use. Its tough, keeps you dry, keeps the wind at bay, its nice and warm when you layer underneath for long glassing sessions or riding out the rain.....and its also $$$$. I am sure I won't be "grumblin" about the rain this year ..... unlike someone will !!!!

That said - I also own Rivers West which is bomb proof for moose / elk hunting and I still use HH impertech and Pioneer for those local hunts in the fall etc ....

But for mountain hunting - being comfortable, warm and dry when the weather turns on you will go a long ways to help you mentally ride out a hunt when your gear can.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2008, 10:54 AM
I have used everything in the past from pioneer, to lightweight shells of various brands, to HH impertech ..... and I finally bit the bullet last year when I bought the Arc Teryx Theta AR rain jacket in basalt colour. Its the best you can use. Its tough, keeps you dry, keeps the wind at bay, its nice and warm when you layer underneath for long glassing sessions or riding out the rain.....and its also $$$$. I am sure I won't be "grumblin" about the rain this year ..... unlike someone will !!!!

Yes, but tops and bottoms of the Arc'teryx costs as much(if not more) as our entire trip up north:shock:.

SSS

BCrams
07-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Yes, but tops and bottoms of the Arc'teryx costs as much(if not more) as our entire trip up north:shock:.

SSS

Point taken -- I can't afford the bottoms yet :cool: At least when the weather gets bad you're not allowed to complain about it.

Just buck up and keep hunting!!

ruttinbuck
07-10-2008, 11:33 AM
I am sure you have heard of this (maybe not) but take a look at Sitka Gear
http://www.sitkagear.com/

It appears they have some very good product lines. If I had not just ordered a complete set of wool camo, I would be considering this stuff. I think I will in the future though.

I own lots of softshell clothing for the work I do and I always wondered why no camo company didn't latch onto this type of material. Sitka Gear has.....

They would be my choice.
Just checked out Sitka at Wholesale sports:eek::eek:
$850+ for a set of Down Pour and $500+ for a set of 90%
Nice stuff I must say.I know you get what you pay for but....
I will do more research.RB

Avalanche123
07-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Wow I didn't realize it was that pricey....

I have the full compliment of Arcteryx and I love the stuff. It is definitely the gear I use for sheep hunting. I carry a super light weight 3D jacket that I throw over top for the "stalk"...

If I have the chance, the next time I am in either Kamloops or Edmonton, I'll check out Wholesale Sports for their Sitka gear.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Point taken -- I can't afford the bottoms yet :cool: At least when the weather gets bad you're not allowed to complain about it.

Just buck up and keep hunting!!

I know I complained about my Impertech last year but I just picked up a new set on the weekend. New should be better than old.
They didn't have any bibs my size so I had to go with the pants.
Also, on the jacket they didn't have the new velcro cuff model. I hear it's a pretty good improvement over the old stuff.

Still a pretty good bang for the buck.

SSS

Jetboater
07-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Ruttinbuck , order direct from sitka, they are extremely quick and decent pricing, ask for Kolby, he is really good to deal with....

srupp
07-10-2008, 01:03 PM
hmmm Ive used WHITETAIL SERIES raingear from cabelas..I SLEPT in the stuff with duct tape and laces around my ankles and slept out in the open in just that gear well next to a rock in a depression never leaked..no I was not comfortable but I was dry..it is quiet reasonable $$$ camo..the only thing is I dont like NOT having a zipper taking suspenders off , jacket etc just to pee..

Steven

ruttinbuck
07-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Black tail thx for that tip
Steven I will look at the Cabelas site.RB

srupp
07-10-2008, 02:55 PM
RUTTINBUCK did you get my PM earlier today regarding my LEICA 1200..??

Steven

Avalanche123
07-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Ruttingbuck.....I can't find Sitka Gear on Wholesales website? Where did you find it or did you actually go into a store?

Gateholio
07-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I just cut 2 armholes and a neck hole in a garbage bag..It works great!

ruttinbuck
07-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Ruttingbuck.....I can't find Sitka Gear on Wholesales website? Where did you find it or did you actually go into a store?
They have 3 different lines of Sitka in the KAmloops store.
90%,downpour and baseline.

ruttinbuck
07-10-2008, 04:06 PM
RUTTINBUCK did you get my PM earlier today regarding my LEICA 1200..??

Steven
No I did not.

ruttinbuck
07-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Ruttinbuck , order direct from sitka, they are extremely quick and decent pricing, ask for Kolby, he is really good to deal with....
I can't find a ph number on the Sitka site.Do you still have it?RB

open-sights
07-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Sitka no longer has an online store to Canada as it is now available through dealers, Omineca, Grouse River, etc.

Jetboater
07-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Was able to order a jacket yesterday through online.... At least sitka has the gear in stock, I waited a month to try to order something....

GrouseRiver
07-12-2008, 08:19 PM
We have pretty much the whole 2008 Sitka line up. Our online store opens Monday and we would be more than happy to assist you to source the Sitka gear that you are looking for. www.GrouseRiver.com

Regards, Glenn

Nechako Outdoors
07-12-2008, 08:26 PM
We also have had the majority of the Sitka selection in stock for the past 3 weeks. Still waiting on some items which are on backorder from Sitka but that shouldn't be too much longer. Extremely nice clothing.

Mark
Osfs

MtnBoy
07-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Except for the bibs, I own most of the Sitka lineup. Nimbus pant and jacket/ Celsius Jacket/ Vest/ Gloves/ hats/ Traverse bottom. These guys have really married the success of Arcteryx style/quality clothes with hunting clothes. It's absolutely nutty. I highly recommend it.

Avalanche123
07-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Hmmm next time I am through Vanderhoof and I will stop in check the Sitka Gear out. Seeems like the stuff to get for sheep hunting. This would save my Arcteryx gear for climbing/skiing etc.

MtnBoy, do you have a pics of you wearing the stuff? I'd love to see the fit of the jacket/pants.