PDA

View Full Version : Trojan Sheep Hunting

trigger
07-10-2008, 07:49 AM
I was reading Last night on some sheep hunting strategies and i found the trojan techneque to be very interesting. Trojan sheep hunting is if there is a gap to close between you and the sheep with out anyway to close the gap with out being seen you can dress in white and immitate a ewe or a young ram. taking your time and pawing at the snow will also make things more believable to the sheep. There are stories of hunters doing this and having sheep let them get to within 50 yards. This was all being done on Dall sheep. which of course are white.

Now my question is has anyone or does anyone have techneques like these for stone sheep? does white work for stone sheep aswell?

The sheeps predators are typically darker colors. this might throw them off and let you get closer. anyways any help would be much appreciated

bighornbob
07-10-2008, 08:14 AM
I take it you were reading Tony Russ's books?? Have never heard it working on anything other then Dall mind you. Oh I have heard it being done on goats as well. Not so much for stalking but placing a white sheet over a rock. It gets the goats curious and they may come closer or at least out of that nasty spot you dont dare shoot them in.

I think it works well with the white critters as there are no other white critters around so the animals assume its a sheep or goat.

With stones your outfit if not perfect may look like a grizz or some other predator and may actually send the sheep or the mountain. Just my thoughts as I have never heard of it being used on stones or orther sheep other then dalls.

BHB

budismyhorse
07-10-2008, 08:14 AM
not really the "Russ" Trojan Sheep idea but....I know one fella who closed ~500 yards distance in the open to get a crack at a bighorn (but missed). He stuffed his pack, shirt collar and sleeves with brush to make himself look like a bush. Basically just broke up his silhouette and never went on all fours.

He crawled for hours on end and it was really frustrating, but would do it again.

can't see why it wouldn't work for stones.

bigwhiteys
07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I've seen it on a video or two before with Dall Sheep. I think a big boulder costume would work good for stones... Watch where they come and go and then setup your rock blind.

My dad was trying to put a stalk on some rams with a hunter and they were spotted... The hunter had one of those survival space blankets in his pack so they spread it out on some bushes.

The rams laid there and stared at the reflection from the space blanket paying no attention to guide and hunter as they got themselves into position and shot the best ram.

Carl

Avalanche123
07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
I just read an article in Traditional Bow Hunter where this guy dressed up in greyish coveralls and wore a set of horns he made from plywood (there is even a picture of this guy) to get close to sheep. His outfitter got a great laugh out of it and in the end it didn't work.

What worked for me last year (getting close anyway) was fog...! Two rams, one legal were bedded down and there was no way I could get close enough with my bow....until the fog rolled in. As soon as they would disappear in a fog bank I would crawl forward. Took me 2 hours to cover 200m. At times when the fog lifted, I would just lay there right out in the open (I was wearing camo...) and they were not concerned.

So are you going sheep hunting?

BiG Boar
07-10-2008, 09:58 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DPVbb8oIvDQ

I doubt a cow would work, but maybe a sheep blind, or a grizzly blind if youre hunting grizzly?

The sheep idea with horns is pretty stupid, you may get shot by another hunter?

Avalanche123
07-10-2008, 10:02 AM
"The sheep idea with horns is pretty stupid, you may get shot by another hunter?"
Good point however it was a bow hunt with a reputable outfitter. Since sheep hunters generally take a very close look to ensure the ram is legal (they better anyway), they would have died laughing if they had glassed this guy LOL. (His horns were made out of plywood and painted)
And if a bowhunter shot him, well that is just plain bad luck and stupidity combined LOL....

mntbowhunter
07-10-2008, 10:03 AM
I tried it for bowhunting stones. we made a costume with a hat with horns and the whole deal and it definitely did not work. It seemed like a great idea though?

boxhitch
07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
I pack a set of disposable painters coveralls in the daypack...........and not because I want to keep my clothes clean....

Avalanche123
07-10-2008, 10:17 AM
"
I tried it for bowhunting stones. we made a costume with a hat with horns and the whole deal and it definitely did not work. It seemed like a great idea though?"

Post some pics! :)

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Seen it done on some old videos made in Alaska.
The idea is not new.

Tony Russ like to take it further and put a head on his outfit.

Perrsonally, I like to pack less and not more.

Work on Stone's?? Probably not.

Tony Russ also thinks that sheep can't count. If two guys get busted on a stalk. Both should continue out of sight and then one guy should come back out to keep the rams attention while the other closes in to finish the deal. Obviously, this would only work if not too close and the rams aren't super spooky.
Kind of similar to Big Whiteys' Dad's idea.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm sure sticking with white would make a Stone's sheep think "Mtn Goat" ????
Maybe it would be better to try not to imitate a Stone's sheep??

Speaking Of Trojan Billy Goats..........We haven't heard from Youngfella for some time....and he had a spring grizzly draw:eek:.

SSS

ursus
07-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Sheep cannot count. Last October my partner stayed in clear sight of my Ram (1km away), while having to endure cold periodic blizzard conditions. The ram felt so safe, bedded on a waterfall watching my partner the whole time while I circled back and around (2 hours) staying out of sight until the last few moments.:-)
I carry a white polyester pull over all the time for Goats. Works every time. Just make sure there is no trigger happy newbies in the vicinity.

Avalanche123
07-10-2008, 12:00 PM
"I carry a white polyester pull over all the time for Goats. Works every time. Just make sure there is no trigger happy newbies in the vicinity."

Now that would make me nervous goat hunting. However I am sure it works really well.

BCbillies
07-10-2008, 12:28 PM
While hunting Stones we saw another group of hunters dressed in white/grey. Not sure how it panned out for them! The "sheep can't count trick" is a great tool for the final stock. Also leaves one guy back to give you some signals.

At times we put on the white garb for goat hunting and it seems to get their curiosity. I've also gotten their curiousity without white during the rutt. Scared the crap outta me!

gerrygoat
07-10-2008, 06:09 PM
While hunting Stones we saw another group of hunters dressed in white/grey. Not sure how it panned out for them! The "sheep can't count trick" is a great tool for the final stock. Also leaves one guy back to give you some signals.

I know it worked out pretty good when you got your ram :wink:

Gateholio
07-10-2008, 06:51 PM
My buddy told me this story, and had me rollign around laughing.

He was guiding a hunter, crawling up a small dry creekbed, to get close to some rams. At the top, he sneaked out to have a peek, expecting to see the rams abotu 200 yards away. However, there was a smaller ram that they had not seen, right where he popped out!!

Teh ram was staring at him intently, so he whispered to his still concealed hunter "don't move!!" and then.....

He stayed in his "crawling" position, bent his head down and ripped out a hunk of grass with his teeth, and started chewing!! The ram watched him for awhile, then ignored him, as my buddy continued to graze!

:mrgreen:

BCRiverBoater
07-10-2008, 07:55 PM
If dressing up like a sheep be wary of other hunters who have been in the bush for too long. If you see them approaching with rubber boots and velcro gloves...you better hope you can climb like a real sheep.

gerrygoat
07-10-2008, 09:26 PM
That has got to be the funniest hunting story I have ever heard Gatehouse. His hunter probably didn't know what to think. I hope he tipped him well for going above and beyond the call of duty.

BlacktailStalker
07-10-2008, 11:23 PM
Thats a good idea Trigger.
Hopefully it doesnt work as well as your cow costume did that one time.
That bull elk laid a whoppin' on you, your back was sore for days !!!

trigger
07-11-2008, 06:27 AM
hahaha,
yeah well you know me. im always fantasizing about dressing up like sheep. maybe i should seek help.

Hey thanks guys for your imputs on this topic. I think the best idea is to dress blacktail stalker up and use him as the decoy, while i move in on the ram of a lifetime.