PDA

View Full Version : take a new hunter out for a mule?

Fixit
07-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Ive spent some time hiking some game trails east of the sea to sky with some decent success, stocking several does Ive finally got all the core stuff in order and purchased a muley tag. however beeing so green, im not so sure what the best way to bag one would be as ive never done this before.

is there anyone who would be keen to head up into the bush with me and show me some tips?

thanks

hunter1947
07-10-2008, 06:37 AM
If I lived over there i would take you out.

If you ever want to hunt for black bears here on the island just send me a PM ,wayne.

Steeleco
07-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Too soon to say for certain but it's possible. Oh BTW them's be Blacktails in your back yard!!! Keep looking, they don't move around too much.

CooperSscat
07-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Way to go on getting licenced as a BC Hunter! That's some steep terrain you're working there. Remember to observe MAP B15 on P. 38 of the Regulations(no shooting area). Good luck on trapping your first blacktail! I'm still working on that too. hehe

Jeremy

Fixit
07-10-2008, 07:17 PM
thanks, for the most part ive been hiking up (far) behind furry creek area. for me its close and as far as i can figure it, the private property ends just past the gravel pit. can anyone offer any other advise?

currently i have been quietly walking the game trails and seeing what i can spook up. then when they flush i squat down and listen, wait a few mins and then follow footprints if i can. its worked once for me. i managed to find two (yearlings?) or small guys and watched them for a bit, however four legs makes for a much faster hill climb than i can do.

Wild one
07-10-2008, 08:35 PM
The best thing to practice is seeing deer with out spooking them.Instead of just walking slow sit down for 10-15min at a time and see what you can spot ahead of you before you start walking again.I bet you will see more deer that are not running away.

Gateholio
07-10-2008, 10:29 PM
PM inbound to you:-P

Fixit
09-25-2008, 10:02 PM
anyone got a spare spot for me on a hunting trip???

willing to travel!

Mr. Dean
09-25-2008, 11:24 PM
If you're scattering deer, you're making mistakes.
Step, listen.
Step, listen.
Step, listen.

Now glass.
Look up the trail.
Look into the forest
Look down the trail

Listen.

Then take another step..... Repeat.

Be mindful of the wind - Keep it in your face.
Stay in the shadows and NEVER let the sky be your back-drop.
Hiking trails isn't about getting to the end of it in an allotted time. it's about getting to the end without being detected.

you already know deer are there..... Quit chasing them and start hunting them. :smile:

Reachkyleh
09-26-2008, 07:00 PM
I have to say: Being a new hunter as well, this forum has been amazing for tips. Thanks guys. It's also great to see experienced people willing to talk with or even take out inexperienced people. For example, I have the drive and I've put in the time learning, but I didn't have an uncle or father that taught me the kind of stuff that some of you talk about. To do that, I try to listen to experience. Either that or make a lot of mistakes on my own. I can read about swimming, but it's really about getting in the water. So thanks to everyone who gives a hand.

Kyle

lineofsight
09-27-2008, 01:42 AM
Kyle:

Well said. Am in same situation, no hunting family members or coworkers (am hoping to change that once hunting myself).

The tip from the camo thread about blaze orange when carrying game/antlers... will be remembering that one.

Next couple weeks swamped but will post looking for spot on trip pretty soon (not even concerned with using a tag, more concerned with just learning i.e stalking/skinning/butchering...). Seems to be a number of newbs here, we may even be able to entertain an experienced hunter for a day.

Fixit
09-30-2008, 05:06 PM
Ive got some oragne flagging tape for the antlers (if) i get one, Ill give the walk, listen repeat a try, although i am going pretty slow, maybe there higher in elevation than i am at the moment, is the hunting any better after snow dusts the peaks of the mountains>?

Mr. Dean
09-30-2008, 05:51 PM
The spikers and stupid young deer, should be starting to hang around w/ the doe's... I'm a fan of elevation. Normally = bigger bucks, but tougher to find then yet tougher to hunt. Mind the winds! Keep'em in your face.

IMO the early dustings don't do much for moving the game down low. What it does though is show whats been moving around, very clearly. It serves as a deer-o-meter for the hunter looking for deer. :wink:

If ya can find new snow (frost for that matter)...... GO FOR IT!

M.Dean
09-30-2008, 05:56 PM
I find the best secret to deer hunting is hunt where there's deer, no joke. I us a quad and i leave before day light and try to be in areas where i've seen deer before. If i seen no deer, i move to another spot down the trail. I don't stock through the brush, putting on miles and miles looking for animals, they have way better legs than me! First thing you have to do is hunt a spot where you've seen deer or some one has told you about deer. Be there at first lite, snoop around, and use your binos more than not! Bino every clump of bush, bino the tree's, bino every place a deer could hide from you,your binos make your eyes as good as there's!!! lots of times if you spook them, they'll run to cover and stop to see which way your going, thats where you want them! standing still and looking at you. If they run, wait a bit and try to find a way to cut them off, if not, find a different area and try again. If you put your time in, every thing will click, the buck will be standing where you want it, your shot will be perfect, and then you learn how to gut a deer!!! Good Luck! M. Dean

4pntsorbetter
10-02-2008, 09:47 AM
I find the best secret to deer hunting is hunt where there's deer, no joke. I us a quad and i leave before day light and try to be in areas where i've seen deer before. If i seen no deer, i move to another spot down the trail. I don't stock through the brush, putting on miles and miles looking for animals, they have way better legs than me! First thing you have to do is hunt a spot where you've seen deer or some one has told you about deer. Be there at first lite, snoop around, and use your binos more than not! Bino every clump of bush, bino the tree's, bino every place a deer could hide from you,your binos make your eyes as good as there's!!! lots of times if you spook them, they'll run to cover and stop to see which way your going, thats where you want them! standing still and looking at you. If they run, wait a bit and try to find a way to cut them off, if not, find a different area and try again. If you put your time in, every thing will click, the buck will be standing where you want it, your shot will be perfect, and then you learn how to gut a deer!!! Good Luck! M. Dean
Best answer I have seen yet for new hunters. Until you are adept at identifying food sources and travel routes from them to bedding areas ect. the best thing to do is hunt where the deer are, or have been in the past. Scout, scout, and scout some more.
I'm not saying never get out of your truck, but it pays to cover a lot of ground at first and mark sightings on your map(you do have a map right?). Once you get an idea of deer polulation in certain areas, start narrowing it down and putting pressure on areas you feel might hold bucks.