PDA

View Full Version : What is the latest you have hunted for stone sheep?

Avalanche123
07-09-2008, 05:13 PM
My parther and I were discussing going for sheep for the last week of the season. Obviously there are both pros and cons.

So for those of you who have done this, what did you think?

By the way, access isn't an issue as we are only dependant on our two feet.

Thanks.

riflebuilder
07-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Thinhorn or Bighorn?

Kechika
07-09-2008, 05:37 PM
I have a buddy thats been in the Prophet country till the end.I've been in the Racing Country at the end of September.As far as Im concerned thats when ya get the nicest coats.Weather can be "iffy"..but when isnt it.

BCrams
07-09-2008, 05:44 PM
Last week of the season.

ursus
07-09-2008, 06:29 PM
Took my 2nd last October 7th. Be prepared, to be tough both phisically, and mentally.

boxhitch
07-09-2008, 06:44 PM
Re: What is the latest you have hunted for stone sheep?

Thinhorn or Bighorn?

Maybe ask 'Tinhorn or Big Cahunas ?' :)

Avalanche123
07-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Thin horn

Weather isn't too much of a factor cause as we all know, it can be terrible early season too. What is different is the temps will certainly be cooler and travel could be more difficult if there is amount of snow on the ground. Shorter daylight means less hunting time too.

What I am curious about is whether this "pre-rut" period may yield more opportunties?

srupp
07-09-2008, 10:23 PM
I know a outfitter that his LAST hunt of the season is a very $$$$$$$$$$ stone sheep hunt..5:1 one hunter 5 individuals helping 2 guides ,one wrangler, one campie and one cook..it is a very IFFY hunt due to snow and weather,,HOWEVER they have harvested some PIGS for sheep GRONKS....gruelling tough and cold but big rams with great coats..

Steven

BCRiverBoater
07-10-2008, 12:13 AM
I have hunted end of Sept and this year I am doing the last week as well. Some areas have the rams coming down and a little more accessible. But the weather can always bite you. Also less pressure on them late in the year which can have them settled down a little more. Maybe see you out there in Oct.

bighornbob
07-10-2008, 08:33 AM
I have friends that hunt the last week of the season al most every year. They want big snow becuase it pushes rams into areas that they are not in normally, but they know where the sheep will go in the big snows. Also it brings the sheep lower down the mountain.

In the same regard the big snows also make it almost impossible to head up the mountain. They have seen some hogs but all you can do is glass them as it would be foolhardy to even attempt to go after them.

Awesome coats on those late season sheep.

BHB

Avalanche123
07-10-2008, 09:27 AM
"HOWEVER they have harvested some PIGS for sheep GRONKS....gruelling tough and cold but big rams with great coats.."

Wow that statement alone gets my pulse going!

Good points everyone. I never considered that the sheep may be lower down the mountain. I am sure snow will be an issue one way or another. One of the challenging points that BHB mentions is the sheep may not be where they normally are so it likely means figuring the area out a little more.

My hunting partner has two time periods he can go (I can go anytime) with one being mid Sept and the other last week of August. One of the things we discussed is if for some reason we do get heavy snows late season, our trip could almost be over before it started.....

bigwhiteys
07-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Some of the outfitters used to hunt right into the end of November. Rams would be down feeding with the horses in camp. There are a few points on the AK highway where rams cross from summer to winter range that could be ideal for a hiking trip in the late season.

Carl

Avalanche123
07-10-2008, 10:19 AM
The areas that I hunt aren't in that corridor BW. However when I have been through there, I always wondered what it would be like there during the rut at highway level.

boxhitch
07-10-2008, 10:21 AM
A late season foot of snow doesn't do much to move critters. Dump a meter, and then things change, until it melts off the next week.
Mid of October sees some pre rut migration, in spots that need it.
There is a reason the season closure was move to the 15th.

44inchStone
07-10-2008, 08:29 PM
I've been on a few Stone hunts and have been lucky enough to take a few nice ones. Early September seems to work for me. Bugs seem to quite down and the nights are definatley alot cooler.
I however have also been on some hunts in early August. A foot of snow the end of July sucked big time. After we were dropped off and woke up the next morning to start our 6 hour trekk I thought I was seeing things. Good thing I didn't bring my winter clothes!.8-) Hence the phrase"Always prepare for the worst and Hope for the best!" Good luck to you all this year.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Snowed on the Okanagan Connector today:eek:.

Bring your woolies when you head north this year.

SSS