PDA

View Full Version : LEH and high fuel prices

07-08-2008, 01:31 PM
who thinks the high costs of fuel made the odds better for leh moose etc for the guys from VI and south coast. Everyone I know including myself seemed to get draws this year and they were not low odd hunts last year.

kgs
07-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I do not think high gas prices played a role in LEH winners in the lower main land. I always believed that more population and the fact people would have to travel north to hunt and spend lots of money would be the driving force to generate hunting revenue for the government.

stanway
07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Ask the guys that did not get a draw...

LOC
07-08-2008, 02:04 PM
I get 3 weeks holidays a year, at least 2 of those are used for hunting (1 week near PG and 1 week near Cranbrook). I'd be up there regardless of my LEH draw (we're all hunting GOS this year for moose [again]) , and fuel prices.

In the grand scheme, the extra .50 / L isn't that much when you look at it.

Hoytster
07-08-2008, 02:12 PM
well said....I started hunting in my early 20's with a 1978 Ford Bronco with a 351m for a motor....got used to the fuel costs from day 1....I use to hunt up north with my Father in law years back but it was everytime we gathered around the fire, he would always, always whine about "no moose" and "..with all the money I spent in gas...I could have a side of beef at home by now.."......after all that constant BS I put an end to that partnership FAST!!!.....Moose steaks are not always cheap but its more than just the price per pound............

finish
07-08-2008, 02:13 PM
no animals here in Cranbrook!!! *****!!!

07-08-2008, 02:19 PM
you said it Hoytster. I don't care what the cost, I'll be there. One more guy in the truck also brings it back into line and more fun too!

Gateholio
07-08-2008, 02:22 PM
If I had recieved an LEH, I woudn't have gone due to high gas prices....:cool::D

riflebuilder
07-08-2008, 02:58 PM
If you need cheap gas just eat more beans.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-08-2008, 03:01 PM
If I had recieved an LEH, I woudn't have gone due to high gas prices....:cool::D

Me too.:|

SSS

newhunterette
07-08-2008, 05:04 PM
I drive a 140 litre gas tank suburban and Peter drives a big ass have no clue how big deisel tank Dodge Mega Ram - we put in our draws - we have our hunts planned and hope for the draws to come in - gas price never changes our decisions - he just gets worried he wont eat as well as he does lol - feed the belly, feed the vehicle - you only live once make sure you live it to your fullest enjoyment

hunter1947
07-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I myself don't think the gas prices have anything to do with the LEH outcome.

Hunters aren't held back because of the Price of fuel ,they will put in for the LEH from any were and go ,its in our blood.

Kechika
07-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Life wont stop when it reaches 1.80 a litre or 2.50.The kids dont need braces that bad

Stresd
07-08-2008, 06:56 PM
gas price never changes our decisions - feed the belly, feed the vehicle - you only live once make sure you live it to your fullest enjoyment

Couldn't agree more:cool: The price of Gas has no bearing on my hunting what so ever. May have to put a second Mortgage on the house.:???: But i am definitely heading out of town, more than once.;)

sneg
07-08-2008, 07:30 PM
I think it is difficult to put gas price limit on thing you like to do. Will go hunting does not matter how much it will go up. Be there makes me happy. But , do not understand why those people so greedy selling oil that high and why others want to make us feel miserable by putting on their stupid taxes. There is no need for that nonsense.

todbartell
07-08-2008, 08:16 PM
I ride my bicycle all summer so I can afford to drive the truck in the fall for hunting :)

Chameleon
07-08-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't think it will of had an affect on applications this year, but may be on LEH's that are actually hunted, next year may be a different story though.

Avalanche123
07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
I will modify the way I hunt this year. In locations where I would normally come home at the end of the day and head back out the next, I'll likely stay overnight instead. Gas prices had zero effect on how I applied for LEH. I am even considering heading to Alberta to hunt with my brother (which I did 5 years ago when diesel was $0.28/litre in Edmonton) and for a change in scenery.

boxhitch
07-08-2008, 10:43 PM
A123, I'm thinking the same way, camp out more. Last Nov I only got out a few partial days, to a spot about 2 hrs away. Fuel bill was over $600 as I am regularily reminded about (Wife (tm) is a book keeper). Nights are longer, but a good book should help.

Fisher-Dude
07-08-2008, 10:48 PM
A123, I'm thinking the same way, camp out more. Last Nov I only got out a few partial days, to a spot about 2 hrs away. Fuel bill was over $600 as I am regularily reminded about (Wife (tm) is a book keeper). Nights are longer, but a good book should help.

Get satellite internet, and you could spend your nights in the camper, on here, chirping about LEH and the price of diesel for the Cummins. You'd never come home then. :cool:

Avalanche123
07-09-2008, 08:37 AM
You are so right about the long Nov nights. With the bow season extending the season in December, there is more sleeping bag time than hunting. Even though I have the full setup (camper, cummins, and yes Sat Internet), I stay in my four season tent. Way less messing around and hanging out under a big ol' spruce tree with a fire and tarp if my preference. (Although any temps below -20C and it does start to get a little grim!)

Gateholio
07-09-2008, 10:07 AM
How well does sat internet work, anyway?

I live in a somewhat remote area with dialup only. And no chance of high speed any time soon.:frown:

GoatGuy
07-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Life wont stop when it reaches 1.80 a litre or 2.50.The kids dont need braces that bad

Especially if they only have a couple of teeth.

Ron.C
07-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Gas prices had nothing to do with where I put in my LEH. What does is convincing the wife that it is still affordable to make my annual hunting trip while going by myself this year!!! There are no amount of words or ass kissing I can do to convince her that its a good idea, but god love her, she's letting me go anyway.

and yes, she wears the pants!!!! :eek:

Avalanche123
07-09-2008, 11:24 AM
"How well does sat internet work, anyway?"

Gatehouse, you should look into "Xplornet". It is a internet sat service that is almost as fast as the high speed most of us use. It isn't as cheap as telus though. Numerous remote lodges, mining camps, and people I know who are on dial up use it and love it.

http://www.xplornet.com/index.php

MichelD
07-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I don't know anything about odds but I sure didn't apply for anything beyond Regions 3 and 5 due to fuel prices.

newhunterette
07-09-2008, 12:19 PM
the way I see it - is hunting trips are relatively costly anyways and most hunters use the time from thier holidays to go - you cannot ever compare the cost of the harvested animals to the cost of buying meat from your local grocery store as if we put the travel time, the scouting time, the waiting time, and of course the fuel used to get to said places and our own time we put in after the animal is successfully harvested - the cost for a hunting trip could never compare to the ease of going to a local grocery store

soooooooooo

why would the new highrise cost of fuel interfere with LEH or regular season hunting - do we not HUNT for the sake of something we enjoy, and it is a great bonus to harvest an animal for the freezer as well as the trophy wall if that is what you are after

a hunting trip of a lifetime or a hunting trip for the sake of ones enjoyment of the outdoors is priceless - it creates a memory

jml11
07-09-2008, 01:10 PM
I agree, if I were to do a trip in my 5.9l 3/4 ton truck (not easy on gas by any means) and do about 2000 km's round trip on a hunt (probably what most lower mainlanders do on a moose hunt up north), it would only cost me an extra $100-150 in fuel compared to last year. To me this is not enough of a deterant to not go on an annual hunt or go after that LEH authorized animal. Especially with the amount of money spent on the hunt anyways (food, time off work, ammo, accomodations etc.). Split the cost with a hunting party and the cost is even lower.

hotload
07-09-2008, 01:31 PM
If hunting is what you love to do then ,all you have to do is a little planning. Do it right after the last day of hunting the previous year. If it monetarily costs more, put away for it starting immediately.
Forsake the wasting of money all year, amazing what it would amount to. Alot of people i know could easily blow over a $100.00 bucks in a bar in one night. Also you could find the closest area to you that holds your favorite species, and learn it well. The populations of animals might not be as large as somewhere else, but, your probably only allowed 1 anyway. Quit Road hunting. I drive a gas eating Dodge Cummins Diesel and nothing is going to stop me from doing what i love to do. I plan for it.

BiG Boar
07-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Take a look at your draw permit and see what the odds were for this new draw. and how does it compare with the odds from last year published in the LEH paper ? That should tell you if interest has changed

Hey does it show you somewhere what the odds actually turned out for this year? Like what it will show in next years LEH draw? Obviously the papers online and in paper form are last years results, is there any where you can see how many people put in for this years?

Also, I think that it wont change LEH ammounts people put in. These are the in demand hunts, and the easier hunts. I do believe it will change the GOS hunting, I mean instead of going for the weekend drive, you might just do it every few weekends instead. Especially those in the LML.

07-09-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah, gotta wait for my authorization to come

mgnm300
07-09-2008, 03:40 PM
i can tell you that since i've owned an atv that the cost of fuel doesn't even come into effect since i can ride all day on about $15. they better not start restricting atv's now!!!!

Seeadler
07-09-2008, 04:26 PM
How well does sat internet work, anyway?

I live in a somewhat remote area with dialup only. And no chance of high speed any time soon.:frown:

Xplornet kicks butt on dialup. You are probably looking at ~$700 installed plus $62/month for a service fast enough for anything but streaming video. Faster packages are available for $89 and then $199 (or thereabouts).

To the question about gas and LEH, it has contributed to my choice to no longer apply for bison and spatzizi caribou and concentrate on hunts in my own region. But it is far from the only (or most important) reason for this.

willy442
07-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Gate House; Satellite internet actually works very well. If you are interested, I have a complete system that I was using at work and no longer need. It includes Dish, Modem, wireless router and an aluminum stand that I had built. Paid 1200.00 four years ago and will let go for 400.00. The tricky thing about it is the set up as you are both transmitting and recieving the dish has to be dead on, for the best performance. If you are interested look up Xplornet on the web and view the packages, that are available. I had one that was costing me 54.00 per month and it was away faster than dial up.

hunter1947
07-10-2008, 06:52 AM
It coast me 77.00 yesterday to fill one tank in the truck.

If I filled both tanks it would be around $160.00.

To get me to cranbrook into my hunting area I would go through about 6 tanks to get there ,the amount would be $540.00 ,thats not that bad when you split it 3 ways ,works out to $160.00 per person ,returned $320.00.

Ferry ride will coast $300.00 return ,split 3 ways $100.00 dollars.

Final per person would be $420.00.

To me this is peanuts for money.

Go on a trip for two weeks some were down south and see what it will coast you.

Avalanche123
07-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Yep, that is a cheap 2 week trip.

Where I will notice it is the weekend or day to day stuff where the vehicle is in constant use.

I am sure road hunters will really notice it.

moosinaround
07-10-2008, 10:24 AM
I guess that is where it is nice to live in the north. I hunt 10-15 min from where I live. Leh's included! So I can deek out in the evening and get a good hunt in and be back before bed on 5-8 bucks worth of gas! I do have an atv restriction in my area, but I have learned how to hunt with it! So gas prices willnot affect how often I will hunt, LEH, or GOS. Moosin

RyoTHC
10-07-2019, 07:37 AM
who thinks the high costs of fuel made the odds better for leh moose etc for the guys from VI and south coast. Everyone I know including myself seemed to get draws this year and they were not low odd hunts last year.

With this logic I should have pulled every draw I put in for in 2017 2018 and 2019!

i know this is an old thread but it’s interesting to see the contrast after another decade !

Darksith
10-07-2019, 10:28 AM
Holy conspiracy theory

mr604
10-07-2019, 12:55 PM
I was in PG/Vanderhoof all last week...unfortunately i was unable to fill my Moose LEH...but gas in Coquitlam $1.52 a litre....in PG $1.14 a litre......crazy

Ferenc
10-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Buy a diesel ...... gassers are fer muscle cars !!!

RyoTHC
10-07-2019, 02:51 PM
Buy a diesel ...... gassers are fer muscle cars !!!

Jumped that ship in 2017. 1.25 for diesel isn’t MUcH better lol besides my 800+ km to a tank in a pickup truck.

browningboy
10-07-2019, 10:22 PM
I’m so glad I didn’t get an LEH, otherwise I would have had to buy gas?

Redthies
10-08-2019, 05:19 AM
Jumped that ship in 2017. 1.25 for diesel isn’t MUcH better lol besides my 800+ km to a tank in a pickup truck.

Thats the biggest benefit of living 700 yards from the border. I’m paying +/- $1.00 per litre for diesel with exchange. $20 for a 12 pack of Stella or $15 ($11 USD) for a 18 pack of Coors doesn’t hurt either!

of course, I have to drive 2-3 hours to get to any decent hunting, so that pretty much just ruined my whole point...

willyqbc
10-08-2019, 06:03 AM
I find it funny when people think nothing of spending $2500 for a week in mexico....but balk at extra fuel costs for a hunt. For me, my hunting is my vacations....a vacation that just happens to have the potential for a return on money spent.
If you hunt as a purely financial exercise, to save money on buying meat.....thats almost always a losing proposition so don't take LEH's away from someone who will use them if fuel costs would prevent you from going on the hunt.

JMO

swampthing
10-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Hunting isnt cheap. I have never even considered fuel prices in a trip. I mean I know its a cost but so are trucks, guns,packs optics and everything else. I do save all year around for trips though. Every payday sees a minimum $20 into the safe!

finngun
10-08-2019, 09:42 PM
Toyota echo is my hunting 'truck' ,,not bad for gas..:redface: takes deer its trunk no probl..maybe not moose....:mrgreen: finnygun no millionare.. just some coins and some holes in pockets..

mike31154
10-09-2019, 12:38 PM
My buddy on the island has a theory that LEH is rigged to make us travel-use the ferry! He's been applying for 30 years for elk on the island. Last year we got a group LEH draw for moose south of Vanderhoof, so he & other island buddy had a longer drive than I from Vernon. He has been successful in many draws on the mainland, never on the island where he lives! Anyhow, in an effort to prove his theory, for this year he said "Mike, you apply for Elk on the Island!". Well none of us got a draw for anything! Myth busted! Starting to near the bottom of the freezer looking for moose meat from last year's successful moose hunt....

MichelD
10-09-2019, 12:47 PM
My truck stays parked most of the time as I use transit around Vancouver except for big shopping trips to the stupid store, so I didn't feel bad last week going on my one longer trip out of town this season to Big Bar Lake on a buddy's moose LEH trip.

triggerhappy
10-09-2019, 04:19 PM
Gas prices do not affect my decisions whatsoever, at least not since I was a poor teenager. They would have to double or triple before it would impact my decisions, but even then, I don't think it would affect my hunting decisions.