PDA

View Full Version : Books on Sheep

Rob
07-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Looking to learn a bit more on Sheep hunting(bighorn), just wondering if anyone knows of any books that would help or where I could get some. Thanks Rob

Smokepole
07-08-2008, 02:31 AM
"Bighorns and Stone Sheep" by Chris Kind. Stories from his guiding days. Lots of pictures to get you motivated.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-08-2008, 06:00 AM
"Return of Royalty"-Good background info on the different species and herds and their history.

Any of the Duncan Gilchrist Bighorn books. Mostly about the Montana area but good judging tips. Mine are on loan so I don't have the titles at the moment. Just Google the author.

"Home Of the Bighorn", Ken Nowicki (haven't read it so don't know if it's any good).

As mentioned, "Bighorns and Stone Sheep". Nice old pics but a painfull read:?.

SSS

boxhitch
07-08-2008, 08:26 AM
Rob maybe check out the Wild Sheep Society of BC website for some info. There are links to Gov't papers on the two that show biology, distribution, and some behavior info.
Check out the HornCurl test for some good pics too.
wildsheepsociety.org

boxhitch
07-08-2008, 08:32 AM
Oh yeah,soryy, in answer to your question
Another couple of books are
Mountain sheep and man in the mountains by Geist
Sheep and sheep hunting by J O'connor
Quest for Dall rams,
and Quest for Bighorn rams,
and Hunt High all by Gilchrist
And if you can find it, The Wilderness of Denali by Sheldon is a good old book about spending a couple of years watching Dall Sheep

bighornbob
07-08-2008, 08:42 AM
My opinion pretty much summarizes what other have said:

Return to Royalty (Chapters used to sell them for 7.00)
Any Duncan Gilchrist book: Montana Land of the Giant Rams I, II, and III
Quest for Giant Bighorns
Hunt High
any Tony Russ book: Sheep Hunting in Alaska
Sheep stalking in Alaska
Manual for successful hunting
-all of these relate to alaska but there is some great information that every sheep hunter should read

Home of the Bighorn by Ken Nowiki

Bighorns and Stone sheep- great for pictures but as to reading you keep flipping back pages to make sure you did not miss a page becuase they were stuck together

British Columbia record book- great source of information.

EBAY is by far the best place to get any of these books.

Hope this helps.

BHB

bigwhiteys
07-08-2008, 08:48 AM
Great Rams & Great Ram Hunters by Robert M. Anderson.

It's not the best book for hunting information but it will get you drooling.

Carl

Tuffcity
07-08-2008, 10:10 AM
"Sheep & Sheep Hunting" by O'Connor was lent to me before my first Stone hunt, got the hook set on sheep hunting, and the actual hunting thereof sank it deep. :)

Geist also provides a good read.

RC

BCHunterFSJ
07-08-2008, 10:24 AM
I believe that all the above posts are right on the money. Nowicki's "Home of the Bighorn" is really good if you want bighorn info. For great motivational reading nothing beats Anderson's 2 masterpieces; "Great Rams" and "Wind, Dust and Snow".

Avalanche123
07-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Try using You Tube as there are a number of sheep hunting videos there too. You might pick up a tip or two from that source also.

bigwhiteys
07-08-2008, 10:45 AM
I was turned on to ABEBooks.Com for buying rare and hard to find hunting books. eBay is a rip-off for books most of the time...

Return to Royalty sells on eBay for as high as $60.00.

I bought it out of the bargain bin at Chapters for $7.00!

Great Rams was selling on eBay for over $300!!! I got it direct from the publisher, autographed by the author for $75...

Carl

Rob
07-08-2008, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it. Ill order a couple and go from there, Cheers Rob

boxhitch
07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
I got it direct from the publisher, autographed by the author for $75...

Intereesting how the market changes once something becomes a rare commodity. That Limited Print is sold out last year.

Ramshot
07-08-2008, 01:01 PM
An awesome old publication I have called "A Portrait of Sheep&Sheep Hunting" has a lot of info and great old pictures. Put out by FNAWS in the late 70's. Got lucky in the silent auction at the WSSBC fundraiser years back and got my copy. Ramshot

whitetailsheds
07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Just found a good read while on the way to the rodeo in Ponoka last week. It's called "Gone Hunting - A Generation of Hunting in Northern BC". A collection of hunting stories written by Pat Ferguson out of Clearwater, BC. Has a couple stone hunts from the Dease/ Atlin area. Nice, easy read, some good photos, both scenery and field shots! Not a "how-to" for sheep, but great for fueling the "fever".