PDA

View Full Version : Crater Mtn???

CoqTrophys
07-07-2008, 08:39 PM
I recently made a trip to crater Mtn and it looks like a very nice area. I know there are a lot of sheep hunters in there come late Aug. My question is, for those who have hunted there before, are people riding around on there quads at the top even during hunting season. It makes sence to me to take the quad to the treeline and hike up the rest of the way. Is this what people do there or do people ride around on the top during hunting season?

Avalanche123
07-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Ouch.....running into quads in the alpine while sheep hunting would really turn me off. If it were me, I'd be looking somewhere else. (Taking them to treeline makes sense logistically but that would be as far as I would go but I don't know the area.)

I have no idea where Crater Mtn is meaning I don't get the logistics. I am merely commenting on (IMO) a situation which would make me look elsewhere. Hopefully you have other options.

Blainer
07-07-2008, 09:28 PM
I believe it to be posted,NO VEHICLE ACCESS AFTER THIS POINT.Does this include quads and motorbikes?

CoqTrophys
07-07-2008, 09:43 PM
All tags are by draw in that area. i dont have a tag i was just wondering if people still go to the top on there quads during hunting season. i am pretty sure you are allowed to beacause the trail is well used and there are no signs saying you cant. It sure would make sence to get off and hike once you reach the alpine but i'm sure thats not how it works.

Avalanche123
07-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Ok,, I have to ask, where is Crater Mountain? (I did goggle it but there were alot of hits. Easier to ask here!)

Blainer
07-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I was told that just the local farmers that use the land for cattle are allowed the use of quads.Not exactly sure if that's true.
Oh Ya,I have the draw,hence the research.

CoqTrophys
07-07-2008, 09:57 PM
Just north of Cathedral Provincial Park.

CoqTrophys
07-07-2008, 10:00 PM
I just got back from there and i can tell you for sure that there is no signage saying no vehicle access. I was told there is one once you get to the top and head on the north west ridge. apparently it leads to reserve land so the natives put it up.

Avalanche123
07-07-2008, 10:01 PM
Ok thanks for that. Learn something new everyday! How many sheep tags are available in that area? I imagine it must get busy.

MichelD
07-07-2008, 10:04 PM
It's illegal. People tear the signs down.

There was a sign up in 2006 up Hargreaves and I saw a quad up there and reported it to the C.O. who came looking for the poached sheep two others found.

Saw the C.O. again when I was Whitetail hunting later in the year and she said she nailed the guy for quadding in a closed area.

Blainer
07-07-2008, 10:06 PM
I just got back from there and i can tell you for sure that there is no signage saying no vehicle access. I was told there is one once you get to the top and head on the north west ridge. apparently it leads to reserve land so the natives put it up.

Are you going in from the Ashnola main FSR?
DID YOU SEE SHEEP?

steel_ram
07-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Last time I was there (about 5 years) you could drive two thirds of the way up and then there was a sign stating no-vehicles, but it was pretty evident that quads where going up to the top, ripping some pretty nice ruts in the steep grassy slopes.

Blainer
07-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Ok thanks for that. Learn something new everyday! How many sheep tags are available in that area? I imagine it must get busy.
7 tags per week for 4 weeks

Avalanche123
07-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Wow busy place. You think with that many tags, the CO's would be in there alot checking on the place. Guess they are spread too thin.

CoqTrophys
07-07-2008, 10:15 PM
we stopped at the alpine because i know in most other areas you arent allowed to quad past a certain elevation. We did a little walking around at the top and did see a lot of nice country for sheep but were not fortunate enough to see any(not to mention it was pissing rain and we were only up there for a short period of time). It will be a good hunt for you though. Did you get the Aug draw or a later one? How long are you staying up there for?

CoqTrophys
07-07-2008, 10:15 PM
And yes we came in from ashinola main

MichelD
07-07-2008, 10:16 PM
In 2006 I only ran into one other guy with a tag and his dad during my week there.

The C.O.s only came up when he found that dead (not-quite 3/4 curl ) ram and drove in to Kermeos to call it in.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Signs get put up and the *******s rip them down:mad:.
Too bad guys like you come along and then don't know they are breaking the law.
CO's want these offenders pretty bad. The damage you see in the alpine is their legacy to leave behind for future generations....cause it will be there for generations to come:mad:.

SSS

Blainer
07-07-2008, 10:22 PM
I have the early draw and I will hunt for 5 days,or hopefully only one,never know.
Thanks MichelD,you're knowledge has been helpful.
I received some fine picture today.

CoqTrophys
07-07-2008, 10:33 PM
People who take those signs down should be shot. I know the devastation quads have had in that surrounding are is brutal. Not just there but everywhere there is a little piece of alpine. It sure is some really nice country up there its too bad it has to be ruined by such a small percentage.

CoqTrophys
07-07-2008, 10:55 PM
So for future reference because the signs will probably be ripped down if i go again, where is the boundry for vehicle use??

bighornbob
07-08-2008, 08:58 AM
No vehicles in the alpine period. I have taking my truck to almost the top (end of road closure) of both roads.

Yes the signs get taken down and the area get pounded (not by hunters)hard by everybody. Tons of hikers up there and recreational ATV users that dont even know about the hunting regs and road closures. I have also heard of helicopters from Penticton using the top of Crator for landing practise. I would have hated to had the draw during that time (helicopter landing evry hour or so).

BHB

CoqTrophys
07-08-2008, 09:29 PM
So the no vehicle access is just below the alpine???