PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions.....

huntergirl270
07-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I was just wanting outside opinions about who's hunting area is who's and can it really BELONG to someone????

I am a firm believer in karma and here's my situation.

About 8 yrs ago before I originally started hunting, my hubby and I found a spot that was a great honey hole. It was actually summer and I was driving and we were in my vehicle and I was mostly choosing the roads and areas to check out but hubby was the only one who was a "hunter" at the time as I didn't have my core or a rifle yet.

Wondering where this is going???

We hiked around that summer in this area and decided to go back in fall for hunting as there was tons of sign.

Anyways, for a few years (I finally got my core and bought a rifle) it was OUR hunting area and we usually went out to this area at least twice a year during hunting season and at least once at another time of year.

Hubby hunts with a wonderful group of guys and we discussed it and decided to bring a few of the guys out with us to this area. We always had a great time alone and continued to have a great time with these guys as well. A couple of guys have joined the group in past years and there is getting to be more and more OWNERSHIP put on this area.

Last year I was discussing this area with a friend of mine who is a new hunter (just like all the guys my hubby hunts with were when we first brought them to our area). (This is where I believe karma comes into play) I gave him directions to the area to check it out. He hunted a different area for a couple days of his hunt and then went to the area I told him about for the last few days remaining of his hunt.
Unknown to me, a couple of my hubby's buddies went up during this time and came back angry that I had told this friend of mine about THEIR hunting spot.

There is still some tension apparently about this and I'm wondering if I really did anything wrong. Maybe it was in agreeing to bring ANYONE at all to the area I found years ago with hubby?

What is your opinion???

The Dawg
07-07-2008, 04:09 PM
You gave me directions to the Spot....

I never went, nor told anyone about it. I always viewed it as your 'Spot", and unless invited WITH you, I wouldnt think about going there especially with someone else. Just my thoughts...

But I can be tempted to give out the GPS location, for a price :)

This is what came out of there last year :tongue:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1000146edited.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/mine2.JPG

huntergirl270
07-07-2008, 04:19 PM
:) Actually the bottom photo was my deer from 2001 lol! But I do believe the other one is the one my son and you know who got last year :)

The other buddies that went there go often alone though. That isn't the issue. The issue is that they had issue with me giving info to someone else.
Holy cow a lot of issues!!!
Its not me that cares who goes there. Its some of the people we have told about the spot getting pissy about anyone else knowing.

You gave me directions to the Spot....

I never went, nor told anyone about it. I always viewed it as your 'Spot", and unless invited WITH you, I wouldnt think about going there especially with someone else. Just my thoughts...

But I can be tempted to give out the GPS location, for a price :)

This is what came out of there last year :tongue:

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/P1000146edited.JPG

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/mine2.JPG

jrjonesy
07-07-2008, 04:40 PM
This gets discussed fairly regularly here. Their will also be all sorts of opinions on what to do if someone is already in the area you plan to hunt, etc, etc, etc. I think common sense should prevail...If you find an area, share it with who you want. If someone shows you an area, share it with no one else.

tomahawk
07-07-2008, 04:50 PM
You found the place, you tell who you want! Those that you have told should feel lucky that you shared this info with them, its none of their business who you tell unless you had an agreement with them to keep it quiet amongst yourselves.
Having said that, when you have a good area keep it to your self, the best way to have it change to a less desirable area to hunt, due to animal or hunter numbers, is to tell someone, who tells someone, who tells someone, well you get the picture!!

gerrygoat
07-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Find your self a new spot to hunt and keep it in a small group of faithful friends and family. I have had similar things happen to me with hunting and fishing spots in the past where once they know where you go they don't call you anymore. Instead of getting upset about the whole thing now we are starting again the search to find new honey holes and they will be kept much more quiet. I still go to my old areas but now there will be new ones. Looking over new country is a lot of fun especially when you find "the spot". Really nice bucks by the way I promise I won't tell anyone if you tell me where you got them. LOL

Gateholio
07-07-2008, 06:56 PM
You found the spot, tell whoever you like, unless you had some sort of agreement with the others.

There arent' that many truly "secret spots"- Someone else has likely hunted there at some point, or could be stumbling upon it even as we type away on HBC.:tongue:

newhunterette
07-07-2008, 07:09 PM
unless you own the land you are talking about - it is not anybodies to claim OWNERSHIP of therefore if you want to tell the world of the beautiful spot in BC you enjoy that is your perogative to do so - I would ask these so called friends to show you the LANDTITLE if it is indeed theirs to OWN

can't stand arrogant, grumbly, miserable people who think they can claim everything as their just because they happen to be in the area once in a while

we have had one or two issues with some friends in regards to this as well it makes me laugh how so ridiculous some people can be

it may be a secret to you but even as vast as BC is I am certain others have been in the area a time or two

now where is that "honey hole" heheheehhehehe - we can share a tequilla shot when we meet up there :)

Wolfman
07-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Like fishin' spots though, its always a good idea to play your cards close.

Wolfman

moosinaround
07-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I think sharing spots is ok, if it is that important of a spot, then you can't tell anyone! Even if they are life long friends! But the bottom line is, if it is on crown land, someone else has the right to hunt there too. I like to share my spots with people. If they choose to hunt there then so be it. I'll go find another area, and I will usually drive by with a critter in the back of the truck. I would also stop and help them out with theirs if they were lucky too. Moosin

The Dawg
07-07-2008, 07:53 PM
now where is that "honey hole" heheheehhehehe - we can share a tequilla shot when we meet up there :)

As I said, I will sell the directions :mrgreen:

Phreddy
07-07-2008, 08:23 PM
As mentioned earlier, if you worked hard to find a honey hole, and decide to share it with someone, that person should keep thier mouth shut. If I'm told of one, I feel that I have been trusted to do the same.
Otherwise, you will find so many folks there in a couple of years that it's just not worth hunting anymore.
As Wolfman said, "keep your cards close to your chest." There are lots of other areas I can send folks to that produce, but my best spot is my business and if someone else wants to go to the work of scouting and finds it, that 's fair ball.

Avalanche123
07-07-2008, 09:18 PM
If you find a really great location you and your hubby like, keep it to yourself. That said, it certainly is enjoyable to share stuff with other people so I understand your situation. I suspect this happens alot.

If someone told me of an area they hunted, I wouldn;t go unless I was invited. I remember a few years ago a friend told me they were hunting elk up this particular river in NBC. So happens three of my friends were leaving on a canoe trip down this same river so I asked him what the river levels were like as he was just there. He told me the levels were fine. A year later I find out he tells me he wasn't even on that river but was on a river about 300km further NE. I have to say I felt somewhat insulted and lied to. (Whatever I got over it..)

Moral of the storey is some people take "their spots" pretty seriously so pick your hunting buddies wisely so you are all on the same page. And if you truly want to keep it a secret, hunt solo or with your dog.

BCbillies
07-07-2008, 09:45 PM
Moral of the storey is some people take "their spots" pretty seriously so pick your hunting buddies wisely so you are all on the same page. And if you truly want to keep it a secret, hunt solo or with your dog.

x2. Have learnt lots over the years on the "politics of hunting". The best thing before you head out with a friend/partner is to discuss the details before you set foot in the bush. The biggest thing is to be true to your word and true to your partners. Some will go to whatever lengths are required to acquire a trophy but I bet they don't sleep as well as the rest of us! If you have any question about whether you should go into a spot someone showed you, ask the person. No animal is worth screwing a friendship over.

Final note...blood is thicker than water!

huntergirl270
07-09-2008, 06:34 PM

I'll send you a pm when I have more time... right now heading to bed because we just returned from a camping trip and i work graveyard tonite. :)
I am sooooo gonna take you up on that tequila lady!!!!!!!

hunter1947
07-10-2008, 06:00 AM
I would say you did nothing wrong.

If you found the area and if you want to tell someone where it is ,it would be up to you to do so.
Tell the persons that got mad at you to go find there own area if you want to be like that.

I found this area first and if I want to tell others that up to me to decide ,thank you.

It was not your husband that got mad at you it was the others that got mad at you.

My understanding is that your other friends did not find this hunting area ,you and your husband did.
If anyone should get mad at you it should be your husband ,not the others.

Wildman
07-10-2008, 12:09 PM
If I were you, I would have never told anyone in the first place.

sneg
07-10-2008, 12:18 PM
I think you have done nothing wrong. If you find spot on your own you share it with anybody you like.If somebody show you the spot than you don't share it even with best friends.

kgs
07-10-2008, 01:22 PM
I have some friends who will not share their favorite spots and thats ok. I myself have no problem as I realize I can't hide them forever because somebody always finds them but also I believe in Karma. I do not think you did anything wrong at all. I would tell them to get over it as they would not know about that spot unless you had told them in the first place. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

hunter1947
07-10-2008, 01:55 PM
If I were you, I would have never told anyone in the first place.
The person that went there to HG spot proudly told them when he met them that HG told him where to go.

BlacktailStalker
07-10-2008, 02:48 PM
I agree with the first reply, I'd hunt it alone or with you, never taking anyone else there.
The end.
I also wouldnt take two people into my spot.
I'd take them to a separate spot.
Its nice having multiple places to hunt with multiple people to keep a spot from getting pressured or shot out.
Variety is nice.