PDA

View Full Version : Goat in 3-16 A

behemoth
07-07-2008, 12:30 PM
I have finally gotten an LEH draw and it's an awesome one on the south side of the Stein Valley. I have hiked this area and love it!!!

Has anyone ever entered the park from the Kwoiek creek area? I'm thinking of hunting the Doss/ Antimony/ Claimpost area, but I've always hiked in from the Lytton entrance. We're gonna go exploring in the next few weeks to find some better access points. If anyone can point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

There are so many ranges in this area, it's pretty hard to decide which one to hike!:biggrin: I am taking a relative noob on this trip and don't want to kill him with the hiking, but he's gotta learn somehow.

Can't wait, think I'm gonna head for a hike now :-D

TIKA 300
07-07-2008, 05:37 PM
IM JEALOUS:cool:,thats an incredible area.Good luck on your hunt. TK

ElectricDyck
07-07-2008, 07:01 PM
I also have this tag and want to try to get in from the northern fork of Kwioek. From google earth it looks like approx 2 hour hike up 2000' elevation to mount skihst (spelling?) and 3 16. When we were there in the spring bear hunting we saw 2 goats near the entrance to Kwioek. There was a big slide blocking Kwioek to vehicles about 2km in. I'm going to do some more exploring and try to get my truck through the slide and see how far I can make it this summer. Maybe we could hook up for some exploring? Also any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've been practicing my sexing online and plan on picking the movie.:smile:

EvanG
07-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Check the location of the eagle ridge tail in a back road map book, it may provide decent apline access. It traverses the ridge between North kwoiek creek and kwoiek creek.

David Heitsman
07-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Guys it's a long ways from the wash out to where the goats may be at in 3:16A. You also will have a hard time getting a quad very far up the North
Koiweek as the bridge is out at about the 1K mark and the past that the road is deactivated at about 5K.
I have drawn this tag several times and have only taken one from there.
Those goats at the entrance have been there for years and tend to not migrate farther back into the huntable area.
I have seen many (25-30) goats walking about on the SW side of SkiHist.
I could see them from the bluffs overlooking Antimony Lake. These were of course nanny's and kids.
In the fall of 2006 I flew the area by fixed wing extensively and couldn't locate even one goat. I also flew it by heli again in 2007 coming back from a sheep count and didn't see one again.
You could hike the hill up between the North and south fork and take your spotting scope with you. From here you can glass most of your area. Unfortunately you can't get a quad to the cut line either as they have deactivated these logging roads as well. I used to take my truck to the top and hike for an hour or so to the alpine hunting for early deer.
In the mid nineties you could drive well up to Skihist and then pull back SW and drive to within an easy hour hike to the alpine. It's beautiful up there. I've seen wolf and cougar tracks and gbears and black bears there several times.

David Heitsman
07-07-2008, 10:21 PM
I've looked for that Eagle Ridge trail mentioned earlier but have never seen where it branches off the North Fork. I think it's near the area where the natives cut out the soapstone. I seen that in the backroads atlas as well.

The GO used to ride up there from the valley for bears and deer but I have not seen a trail. There are a couple worn out frames remnants up on top in the trees that I think they stretched tents on. I can't think of his name but he has since passed on and I'm not even sure if the area has been professionally hunted since.

behemoth
07-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the information David & Git R Done. Looks like this is gonna be a tougher slog than I thought.

ED- I live in Merritt, so meeting up could be a challenge. I'll let you know how our scouting goes.

ElectricDyck
07-08-2008, 06:42 PM
ED- I live in Merritt, so meeting up could be a challenge. I'll let you know how our scouting goes.

Likewise, good luck!:smile: