PDA

View Full Version : Sheep tag - now what.

Schade00
07-06-2008, 09:35 AM
Hello Sheep Hunters,
I am new to the site and impressed with all the good info posted here and the camaraderie among you internet hunters. I have a question for all the experienced sheep hunters. On a whim, more to get rid of an extra LEH card I applied for a sheep tag in 8-03 A and, to my utter disbelief got drawn!!!!!

After the initial jubilation I realized that I don't know anything about the area at all, have never been there. Where do I go? Has anybody ever hunted there or knows where the rams might hang out? What is the access like? I am happy to share some info on Stone's and Kootenay sheep in exchange for some pointers to get me started. Send me a PM if you'd like some privacy.

Thanks very much, I appreciate any insight.

riflebuilder
07-06-2008, 09:53 AM
congrads on the draw, but I am in the EK and can't help. Good luck I am sure someone here will point you in the right direction.

todbartell
07-06-2008, 10:39 AM
this seems familiar! :mrgreen:

Blainer
07-06-2008, 11:07 AM
It is familiar,as I posted a similiar request for information titled Ashnola/Keremeos,and I received a wealth of knowledge with pictures,ect.
I also have topo maps on order and would share what I have learned.
What are you're dates,as I may be there at the same time or earlier.
Where are you coming from?
Check my earlier thread.
Blaine

Huey
07-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Haha yes very familiar tod.....

mud-dog27
07-06-2008, 01:33 PM
It is familiar,as I posted a similiar request for information titled Ashnola/Keremeos,and I received a wealth of knowledge with pictures,ect.
I also have topo maps on order and would share what I have learned.
What are you're dates,as I may be there at the same time or earlier.
Where are you coming from?
Check my earlier thread.
Blaine

looks like i gotta come over and load up your GPS with area maps before ya go

Schade00
07-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Blainer and others,
hadn't noticed the thread, maybe I should do some reading before posting next time. I've been drawn for Sept 8 -14, so will miss the Kootenay elk opener but hey.... By that time you will hopefully have your ram. I'm from Nelson. I 'm going to order topo maps tomorrow and looked at Google Earth - Crater Mtn looks good from space but likely busy? Planning to scout in August. Any advice is appreciated.

Schade

browningboy
07-06-2008, 07:24 PM
Sheep draw and now what???

I would crap my pants first off, the I would start practising going up local hills with 48 beers plus food in a backpack, this will get you in shape for it, once you get your sheep then have a stash of crown to getted ripped on the mountain but don't fall off, follow the light and you will get there!
Just remember, double the vision, double the memories!