PDA

View Full Version : goats in 3-42

muleyman
07-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Hi everyone, just wondering if any goat hunters out there ever drew 3-42 I was in there today but the terrain is mind blowing (Tum Tum) valley any advice?

boxhitch
07-05-2008, 10:04 PM
Did you see the Goats ? They are easier to spot on the land tipped up vertical-like. Good country in Tum tum area.

muleyman
07-06-2008, 07:32 AM
Tipped up vertical-like you got that right, no did not see goats but a nice 6 foot blackie walked up behind my girlfriend while she was behind the binos.

dana
07-06-2008, 08:28 AM
No shortage of big bears in that country. Biggest black bear I've ever seen in my life was in that unit. If ever I saw a eight footer, he was it. My biggest bear went 7'4 and that bear made him look like a dink. Saw a 6'8 to 7' boar in there last week. Too bad the season just ended.
As for goats, you have to work your ass off in that country to get them. Very very few goats get harvested in there. I've had that draw a couple times in the past and have yet to kill a goat.

muleyman
07-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Well I guess I'm going to work my ass off prepared to stay 6-7 days light weight everything backpack ,tent,sleepingbag,stove,and of course deer jerky as I live in Clearwater I'm not far away,Steve did you access above old loggers shack.

Brambles
07-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Maybe if your nice Dana will tell you where he shot his booner goat !!!!:wink::biggrin:

horshur
07-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Well I guess I'm going to work my ass off prepared to stay 6-7 days light weight everything backpack ,tent,sleepingbag,stove,and of course deer jerky as I live in Clearwater I'm not far away,Steve did you access above old loggers shack.

the new mine road...that is where I would be lookin for access.

this tag is not one to covet.

boxhitch
07-06-2008, 04:26 PM
this tag is not one to covet.Any LEH should be covetted, but I think I know what you mean.;)

Have wanted to hunt B Bear in that area, as they should grow up nicely with all that salmon to feed on.

muleyman
07-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Well I definitly will give it a go mid september did see a goat last oct in there almost on the road weird place,thought i was seeing things.New mine road is that closer to adams lake? And yes there is large blacks ,Big Poop Big Bear!

horshur
07-06-2008, 04:49 PM
Ive seen big Goats in there but it is a closed area..momich lake.

dana
07-06-2008, 06:16 PM
I'm assuming you've got the zone from Gold creek north? Look in Gold, Oliver and Cedar. I don't know if the new mine road up Oliver is open to public traffic. If it is, it would be worth a look as it switches back and forth all the way up into the alpine. The goats in that country stay high for the most part until the weather gets nasty and then they hang out on small cliff belts inside the lower elevation timber.

Brambles,
That young billy I killed last year was from Blue River not the Adams/Tum Tum. I've had 7 draws in 15 years and that young billy was my first goat. Not the easiest ground to hunt. I've draw the southern zone in the Adams in the past as well. Spent a bunch of time up the backend of Cayenne in that zone. Got into goats but couldn't seal the deal.

muleyman
07-06-2008, 07:04 PM
Steve, know where to purchase topo maps of that area?

Brambles
07-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Brambles,
That young billy I killed last year was from Blue River not the Adams/Tum Tum. I've had 7 draws in 15 years and that young billy was my first goat. Not the easiest ground to hunt. I've draw the southern zone in the Adams in the past as well. Spent a bunch of time up the backend of Cayenne in that zone. Got into goats but couldn't seal the deal.

Yeah I was just ribbin ya, I know you worked hard for that goat, any billy is a good billy when you've worked like a dog to make it happen. The draw I pulled this year is going to be brutal too, second choice goat draw, you know when the draw is 0.2:1 and 28 tags that the odds of sucess are pretty low, and access is the shits.

muleyman
07-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Thanks Steve going in light hopfully coming out heavy!

last light
02-13-2016, 10:58 PM
So did you find one?