PDA

View Full Version : Got A Goat draw need help

Big Bucks
07-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Well I got a draw in 5 04 zone J ,well i have never been there so i was wondering if the goats there are a decent size , hows the access , are there any roads to get back in there , Is there a decent number of them there ? if anyone has any info to share it would greatly help me help , thanks . .

srupp
07-05-2008, 04:23 PM
GREAT goats with very decent sizes and healthy #s

Steven

07-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Sorry I can not give you any info on the area it self BUT... If this is your first goat hunt, be sure to only take a billy. The MOE has info and dvd or video to help you I D a Billy. They are very sensitive to harvest and need your help to not take out a nanny.
Try to go early, preseason scout if you can, Glass, Glass then Glass some more. Be careful, take your time, try to get above them, only shoot in an area you can retrieve the critter.
Some info on ID of a Billy. They look larger then the rest when in the group. They are most often found alone unless they are juvinille or in rut.
They appear yellow to cream rather then white, the horns curve back on a constant slower curve rather then a nanny that bend or curve closer to the tips. The billys, or big billys don't have much space between the horns, the billys have scent glands under the rear portion of the horn base. They are usually found on the uglier, nastier parts of the mountain ... but not always. Get as much infor as you can on the ID.
Only shoot a Billy!
Good luck to you, and I hope to be taking one on LEH also this year.
C/T

Big Bucks
07-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey thanks for the help Curly top , I shouldn't have to much of a problem with the id just the area i think is going to be a problem , I'm coming from the lowermainland so it is not like i can just go up there any time it's a bit of a drive . So any info about the area would be great .

Steven have you ever hunted for them up there?