PDA

View Full Version : 4-31 Elk

ryanb
07-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Well I was debating whether to even bother putting in for elk this year since I have never hunted them and know nothing about them. I figured I'd put in for one of those long-shot west kootenay draws, and damn if I didn't get it....

Before any of you elk hunters get your panties in a knot, I DO fully intend to make a go of it. Does anyone have any pointers on this area? Areas to do a little scouting? Tips for a first time elk hunter?

Thanks

hunter1947
07-05-2008, 04:50 AM
What dates are your elk LEH good for ???.

Fisher-Dude
07-05-2008, 07:25 AM
I think your best bet would be up the Kuskanax. It's closer to the better MUs to the south. I've been up the Halfway before and saw 20 bears but zero ungulates. :wink:

ryanb
07-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Hunter 1947, it's a september hunt. I wasn't looking for specific areas, but more like types of terrain in this area to focus my scouting.

Thanks

Fisher-Dude
07-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Hunter 1947, it's a september hunt. I wasn't looking for specific areas, but more like types of terrain in this area to focus my scouting.

Thanks

Look for water. Elk love it. Small finger meadows with boggy spots are a favourite. Also look for ESSF (Englemann spruce/sub-alpine fir (balsam)) timber types that tend to have wetter spots and meadows. It's relatively steep in that country, so look for benches that will hold water on steep hillsides. Rutting bulls will hole up on hillsides with small plateaus and wallow holes.

boxhitch
07-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Most of that region is logged with high-lead shows, so there is some access to the top of STEEP blocks. The better ones will have several years of re-gen. Camp high.