PDA

View Full Version : 7-07 moose draw

spock
07-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Well I got a shared bull moose draw for 7-07 with two other guys. I'd asked a bit about it earlier on and I had a few questions about the area I wonder if I could get a response too. Is the bowron river boatable, it looks like it might be kind of slow towards the bottom end. Any good places to camp in that area? Anywhere you would recomend starting to look for bullwinkle. Any advice for a first time dedicated moose hunter. I have had a moose draw in Alberta before but that was just a target of opportunity while we were hunting deer in November.

BCrams
07-04-2008, 10:08 PM
You can jet boat up the Bowron from the Fraser River as far as the canyons but the water runs pretty shallow in the fall (north of the highway). The canyon starts 1.2 km north of the highway and runs almost 2km long. You don't want to take a boat / canoe from the highway down through the canyons ... I have done it - but I'm also a very very experienced paddler.

By the time fall comes around for moose hunting, you can get away floating a canoe down the Bowron on the south side but it is quite shallow in many places with alot of rock gardens but again - you should be an experienced paddler.

There's a lot of good moose hunting in 7-07 and its quite popular with the locals.

Wild one
07-04-2008, 10:28 PM
I have a bull draw in 7-07 and my famly has hunted the area for years but we don't float the rivers at all.

When are you going?

Cow or bull draw?

Can you call?

Have you hunted the area before?

I can give you some advice for the area after you answer the above.

SUAFOYT
07-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Well I got a shared bull moose draw for 7-07 with two other guys. I'd asked a bit about it earlier on and I had a few questions about the area I wonder if I could get a response too. Is the bowron river boatable, it looks like it might be kind of slow towards the bottom end. Any good places to camp in that area? Anywhere you would recomend starting to look for bullwinkle. Any advice for a first time dedicated moose hunter. I have had a moose draw in Alberta before but that was just a target of opportunity while we were hunting deer in November.

We hunted 7-06 for over 15 years right near the 7-07 boundary. We always came in from the Purden Lake end of the Bowron Main. Rarely saw moose until close to the Haggen Creek area. Good camping there. Haven't been there for a while now so check with PG Forestry office b4 you go to see about any road closures. Always saw moose during rut time in that area. Good luck.

moosinaround
07-04-2008, 11:38 PM
7-07 is huge! There are LOTS of possibilities! If it was me, I would hunt along the rivers and in the north end of the MU north of Giscome up the eaglet. You will require quads, and there will be lots of work involved getting it out. It gets mucky up there, fine textured soils. It will be busy, it is close to town. If you go in to spots part way on quads, then hike in the rest of the way on foot, and then call! Try to target the rut, sept, 3-4 week- the first week of Oct. I have seen bulls fighting in this area right in front of our quads as we were working, so in the rut they are quite aggressive. Oh and they were BIG! We shot a bull a few years back, that was 675 pounds on the hook ready to cut, and he was a 6x7, just across the river. Seen some bigger bulls on the east side of the bowron, south of hwy 16east, they are there, but it is hard country to hunt. Lots of cutblocks, but they are 15-30 yrs old and thick. If you shot a bull in this part of the world they are tough to get out without a quad, and some saw work. Down the Beaver/Bear is good for moose too, but it is busy, you could get one there, excellent moose country. The North Purden has been known to have some good bulls too, it is just south of the Bowron bridge on the Beaver FSR +- 60ish Km. Seen lots of moose in there too, but if it is wet it is mucky aswell, and it is a little grown up. Again fine textured soils. Again lots of hunters, but the moose don't pack up and leave, they are there, just hunt hard! If you need more info, pm me and I could give more detailed info. Good luck you lucky bugger, I never got my moose LEH, but I did get a doe tag, finally, and they open up for does on a GOS, anyways!! Jusy my luck. Moosin

kgs
07-05-2008, 02:08 AM
I shot my first moose in 7-7 back 2003. moosinaround knows 7-7 pretty well. A nice spot was at the end of aleza lake forestry road as it ends at the bottom of a hill right on the Bowron river. Good luck. (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/member.php?u=480)

hunter1947
07-05-2008, 06:05 AM
I have friends that always get there LEH moose in 7-07.

They head deep back in on Bowron main line about 50kl.

spock
07-05-2008, 08:53 AM
Thanks to all for your willingness to help out.

browningboy
07-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Took one of my first moose out of 7-07 on the beaver bear (cub road to be precise), I find the main road is busy with locals but if you go off the old spurs you'll start seeing the critters, keep plugging away until you find sign but around turkey day weekend is when the rut is on and the bulls are moving up there from what I remember.
I'm sure guys like Moosin' etc. that live up there will help you out through pm's.
Good luck!

tomahawk
07-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I've hunted 7-07 since 1980 and its ladden with moose. Lots of old cuts and isolated area's, so if you have a "bull" draw and know how to call its a paradise with last week of Sept and first of Oct being prime! Get off the roads and enjoy!