PDA

View Full Version : 7-57B Bison Hunt info

Sako7
07-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Looking for any info that will get me started in planing a bison hunt in 7-57B at the end on Nov. I haven't hunted this area before so any info would be appreciated.

tomahawk
07-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Hey Sako

I have been on 3 Bison hunts in B in the last 11 years. Truck access ends at the old airstrip about 24 km off the highway ( gated so impossible to miss). There are a couple campsites on the road at the gate but if you turn left for 100 yds you will be on the strip and there are several good camping spots along the lenght of the strip. From there most of the animals are beyond the gate ( west) which is ATV's on designated roads only and snow mobiles anywhere ( if there is enough snow). Most of the good animals we found are across the Sikanni, which is about KM 51 or so. However there is no bridge (unless they are doing exploration in the region) and ATV access ends at KM 48 or so. There is an outfitter in the area that rents out rooms, which used to be $100 per night per person which is another option with many variables attached. I could go on forever so PM or email me with any questions and I will gladly help you with any knowledge I have gained about the area.

Tom

browningboy
07-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Oh boy, you will have your hands full! Plan on all types of weather and transportation.

Sako7
07-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the info Tomahawk.

Dad and son
07-04-2008, 11:20 PM
The gov't will mail you an info package shortly. They will give you the contact info for Sikani River Outfitters. To my knowledge they are the only outfitters in 7-57B. I stayed there with my son 2 years ago and will stay there again this year as both my sons were blessed with a bison draw. I think they are a great place to stay. All your food is provided and if you stay in the main lodge you visit with the other hunters in the evening and find out what is happening and where to go. There will be some US hunters there being guided by the Outfitter. Mike is a great guy and will help out any way he can. The big thing is not knowing if there will be snow or not. I rented a snowmobile and sled in FT St John in 2006 because an ATV was of no use.
From the gate to the lodge is 25 km so everything you bring comes in on a quad or snowmobile.

David Heitsman
07-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Ditto what Dad and Son said.

I've killed a couple buff with Sikanni River Outfitters over the years
and I always feel bad for the hunters camped at the road closure
area by the strip.

Most of the time the buff are another 20K plus further up the valley
and often on the south side of the river and too many times the non outfitted or guided hunter goes back without a trophy. Since the tags are still reasonably hard to draw I'd spend a bit and get help from the local pros who can make it happen for you. You won't find better northern hospitality!

Maxx
07-06-2008, 10:51 AM

area by the strip.

and often on the south side of the river and too many times the non outfitted or guided hunter goes back without a trophy. Since the tags are still reasonably hard to draw I'd spend a bit and get help from the local pros who can make it happen for you. You won't find better northern hospitality!

AGREED on all points!

mfarrally
07-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Hey fellas, I too have been lucky enough to get a bison draw starting dec 6th. I haven't been up there that time of year so the plan was to come up with a couple sleds? Is snow a sure thing by that time up there?? thanks for any info you guys may have
Mike

257WBYMAG
07-08-2008, 10:55 PM
I was up there last year mid december and there was little to no snow when we arrived, snowed about 6 to 8 inches on our last day made it a little tough getting out loaded with all our gear and a bufflo on quads with trailers. There are some long steep hill's comming out from the ranch and one long steep hill to climb with the truck. Bring some tire chain's. There are now guarantee's of snow that time of year best call Mike and watch the forcast befor you go and be prepared for any kind of weather it was minus 38c when we were there.

Statler
07-09-2008, 09:24 AM
-38 that pretty cold. What were you guys staying in cabin or tent? Was wondering if it was a wall tent how well it performed it that kind of temp. Thanks.

tomahawk
07-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Hey fellas, I too have been lucky enough to get a bison draw starting dec 6th. I haven't been up there that time of year so the plan was to come up with a couple sleds? Is snow a sure thing by that time up there?? thanks for any info you guys may have
Mike

Snow is not a sure thing and traditionally the area does not receive a lot of snow throughout the winter. You will need to check on the conditions within a week or days of leaving in order to know what you need, quads or snowmoblies. We have been there with both. I have been there on the late hunt 3 times and onlt once was there enough snow for a snowmobile and it was barely enough.

tomahawk
07-09-2008, 10:28 AM

area by the strip.

Don't feel bad for us, we choose to be there, its a whole lot cheaper, and have harvested some beautiful animals!!

257WBYMAG
07-09-2008, 07:22 PM
-38 that pretty cold. What were you guys staying in cabin or tent? Was wondering if it was a wall tent how well it performed it that kind of temp. Thanks.

Hey Statler
We stayed in one of Mike's cabin's, at that temp I am kinda glad we were not in a wall tent. But this year I was lucky to get an LEH bufflo draw for the first part of november and we will be taking up a wall tent.Will keep you informed about how the trip went when the time come's. Hope it won't be minus 38c again frost bite is a bitch just ask me.

mfarrally
07-11-2008, 05:24 PM
Right on thanks for the info!

Mik
07-14-2008, 12:18 AM
My cousin got the Nov 1-15 draw, so we will be heading up there in our wall tent. needless to say, I am keeping a close eye on this thread and do appreciate the info. Thanks.
PS: I have been on a Bison hunt aprox. 8 yrs ago in the "A" region and we were close to "Mae's Kitchen"