PDA

View Full Version : Question on doe GOS in 7A

todbartell
07-04-2008, 08:53 PM
New GOS for doe (Mulie or Whitetail) in 7A units this fall, first time there has been a GOS in these areas (except recent youth seasons) for anterless deer since 1994 I believe.

Anyways, season is Nov 10-20th. I was wondering if anybody had an opinion or insight on why it was chosen this late in the season, during the rut. IIRC, before, the GOS anterless season in these areas was around thanksgiving weekend

thanks

tb

BCrams
07-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Most people hunting deer tend to hunt bucks during November and the doe season will provide an opportunity for an additional harvest.

It was a good move.

todbartell
07-04-2008, 09:27 PM
sure alot of guys hunt deer during the rut, but alot of guys hunting during that time are hunting hard for a big buck and probably couldn't be bothered to whack a doe. maybe not, it just seems funny that they'd put the season during the rut and not sometime in October.

:)

tomahawk
07-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Maybe its intent is to take some pressure off the bucks for those that are out for meat hunts when the bucks are more likely to be taken?

BCrams
07-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Perhaps they want does taken, but not as many as might get taken if it coincided with moose calf season like it used to.

todbartell
07-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I think it's a combination of the last two replies. Sounds good to me guys :D Also maybe later in the fall/early winter when they start to herd up and tackle the haystacks...

thanks