PDA

View Full Version : Moose tag, now what?

BeerBaitnAmmo
07-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Just got my first bull moose tag for the caribou. 5-02B Oct 15-31. Super excited for the hunt, but I have never hunted moose before. Is there anything special that anyone would recommend in the way of calls or other accessories that may make this hunt more successfull? Thanks for your help...
BBA

wolverine
07-04-2008, 10:33 AM
I'd make sure I had a couple of good knives at least, more if you have them, so you don't have to spend time sharpening knives. You still want to have a good sharpener but it's great if you don't have to stop and can just switch knives. This is especially important if you happen to cut into a scent gland when removing the legs. Once that get's on the knife you have to put it away until it can be thouroughly cleansed in hot soapy water. If you drag any of the tarry black crap through the meat, even if it doesn't look like there is any on the knife, you can screw up a lot of meat in short order. Other than that, if you don't know how to call moose get a DVD and learn. It isn't hard and will increase your chance of anchoring and animal once you spot them. Other than that, it's like deer hunting, only a hell of a lot bigger.

srupp
07-04-2008, 10:47 AM
Here in the Cariboo you drew a prime tag..rut will still be happening..so calling is a good thing, next find a somewhat secluded area with access but not too much access..this hunt requires EARLY mornings well before dawn headed to swamps and fields and cut blocks and willow swamps..to be there and QUIET and call and glass..I have called moose from over 5 KILOMETERS...numerous times..

If you only got sex once a year youd be there and INTERESTED..:wink:
You will also need ropes and help a moose is a very BIG investment in WORK... once the trigger is pulled..
If you need some "starting " suggestions " on the area you drew for your LEH send me a PM....more than glad to help.

Steven

Stresd
07-04-2008, 10:48 AM
You will also find that a small chainsaw will make life a whole lot easier when splitting him up. We use Safflower oil in place of Chain oil. And no you don't end up with bone chips in any meat as any will brush right of when dry.

srupp
07-04-2008, 10:53 AM
the chain saw works but so also does a battery powered recipricating saw with a 12" bi metal deconstruction blade..small ,neat lightweight, and good job..

Steven

Wildfoot
07-04-2008, 10:55 AM
You will also find that a small chainsaw will make life a whole lot easier when splitting him up. We use Safflower oil in place of Chain oil. And no you don't end up with bone chips in any meat as any will brush right of when dry.

a cordless reciprocating saw works well too.

tikkat3
07-04-2008, 11:12 AM
I got the same LEH draw, and I'm gonna be watching this thread also, I've never hunted moose so I got a lot to learn!

Couldn't you use a regular bonesaw or axe to get through the bones? I don't want to have to pack a sawzall if I don't have to!

I do have a quad and winch though, thank god for that

07-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Couldn't you use a regular bonesaw or axe to get through the bones? I don't want to have to pack a sawzall if I don't have to!

Yes you can, it just takes longer. Take lots of rope so you can tie out the legs while gutting the animal. You won't be able to move it around easily like a deer. The last bull I shot was 795lbs on the butcher's scales. That was the 4 quarters and neck, skinned, without legs.

The advice of having more than one knife is good and worth heeding. Knives dull quickly and there is lots of work once the animal is down.

Oh yes, one last thing: don't shoot a moose that is standing in water.

newhunterette
07-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Just got my first bull moose tag for the caribou. 5-02B Oct 15-31. Super excited for the hunt, but I have never hunted moose before. Is there anything special that anyone would recommend in the way of calls or other accessories that may make this hunt more successfull? Thanks for your help...
BBA

seems we got the same draw - we have been hunting this area for a lot of seasons

I know for us, sharp knives are a must, extra water is a for sure, lots of patience, I am very lucky to be partnered with an expert moose caller but he learned by watching videos and making make shift noise makers such as an old coffee tin with the lid and a string to pull through - using a damp cloth along the string made the sounds of a cow or a calf echoing into the can - the sounds coming from it you can eventually immitate on your own :)

also look up field dressing a moose online but if you have done one animal nothing is much different except a moose is a little bigger than a deer etc.

also a small note for those ever so sacred photo shots - be sure to use dirt on the eyes of the moose (or whatever your harvested animal) and you will not get the red eye or light spot glare in the picture

Ali

fireman357
07-04-2008, 05:21 PM
seems we got the same draw - we have been hunting this area for a lot of seasons

I know for us, sharp knives are a must, extra water is a for sure, lots of patience, I am very lucky to be partnered with an expert moose caller but he learned by watching videos and making make shift noise makers such as an old coffee tin with the lid and a string to pull through - using a damp cloth along the string made the sounds of a cow or a calf echoing into the can - the sounds coming from it you can eventually immitate on your own :)

also look up field dressing a moose online but if you have done one animal nothing is much different except a moose is a little bigger than a deer etc.

also a small note for those ever so sacred photo shots - be sure to use dirt on the eyes of the moose (or whatever your harvested animal) and you will not get the red eye or light spot glare in the picture

Ali
dirt in the eyes and moose calling video that's great ty

fireman357
07-04-2008, 05:23 PM
I got the same LEH draw, and I'm gonna be watching this thread also, I've never hunted moose so I got a lot to learn!

don't think we can use quad in this area, I'm going to watch this too Congrat on the tag I got the same first time, bunch of mewbie moose hunters aren't we

cariboobill
07-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Hello:

here in 5-02B you will run into wet and slippery roads, be prepared with 4 wheel drive and good tires. Some mud holes can be deeper than you think. A strong Quad is always good for hauling either the whole moose or parts, depending on where it falls dead.

It gets cold at night (below zero) and we have good sunny days during that time of year, although we can get snow and rain, depending on where in 5-02B you are hunting. Cold in the am, comfortable during the day and cold at evening.

Seek accommodation arrangements sooner than later, some places close up for winter and others fill up. Lot of places to set up a camp near water. Use the Cariboo Backroad Map books for road info.

Have fun, you must have got my tag, as I did not draw one this year, will hunt the moose open season.

My opinion, do not use a chain saw to quarter, ever!

Cariboo Bill

browningboy
07-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Okay, read this thread over and I have a few pointers I can give you:
1-Get there a few days early and scout, look for fresh sign, then at least you know where they're at
2- Walk in in the pre-light hours and cow call, not too often, and make sure you're not standing in one consistant spot when you call, the moose have excellent hearing and will pinpoint you, so get off your arse and walk a bit.
3- If you find a big puddle that really stinks and lots of track through it, sit on it within 100 yards, it's a good chance at being a wallow, and once again, do a cow call, that wallow is a bulls "calogne" place to get some ass so to speak.
4- If the rut is on, be patient, another stragedy is also have your buddy up the road do bull grunts and you do cow calls, but still keep in mind, you have to be moving, and don't worry about perfecting a call, the moose don't care to a degree, you could stick a automatic tranny funnel up your butt and fart and a bull will respond, at this point, only one thing on their mind, screw as much as possible so their guard will be down.
5- Hell, you can also just road hunt and spot cuts etc,
If you have any questions, shoot me a PM.
BB

hunter1947
07-05-2008, 05:14 AM
Make sure you know how to do a guarting job to get the moose out of the bush and back to camp.

A few good sharp knifes and a sharp boning saw ,a good name back pack will get your moose out of the bush http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

BeerBaitnAmmo
07-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks everyone who posted advise, I will definitly be doing some reading of books and maps before i go up there. Took almost the whole month off just so I wouldnt run out of time...Those of you who pulled the same tag, congrats and maybe we'll see you up there (as long as it isnt through your scope ;) Going to Cabelas tomorrow to do some shoppin, visa is going to love me..... Anybody have preference to a type or brand of moose call. I havnt been able to find too many out there yet...

peterrum3
07-05-2008, 03:41 PM
I've never used a bought call for moose and figure it would be a waste of money. If you can get someone to show you how to do a cow call and the bull grunt that is all you really need. 5 minutes of time is all the practice you really need. I've just used my own lungs to call for years, watched them come in from 1K away and pulled them in to 20 yards using a variety of different tones, just practice after watching a video if you can get one. Depending on where you are going think about packing some waders along as well, or at a minimum a pair of insulated gum boots.
After 10 years of trying I finally got an LEH in my own backyard for any bull. I'll be out Oct. 1st. Like the others have said, KNIVES, I carry three and my sharpener as well, I will usually give them all a quick sharpen a couple of times on one moose. I short quarter, so don't need the saws and use game bags for all the extra meat. Good luck, you will enjoy it, I love hunting swamp donkeys.

rifleman
07-05-2008, 04:08 PM
the first call would be to call me. congrats on the draw. there are a few mulies around there as well. don't forget a deer tag.....
good luck

f350ps
07-05-2008, 06:18 PM
The only advise I can give you is be careful where you dump him. If you have a quad or a 4X4 make sure you can get either fairly close to him. Shooting him up hill is Waaaay better than downhill!! Picture packing four deer outta the bush, I'll say no more, other than Good Luck. K

tikkat3
07-06-2008, 12:03 AM
great posts muchas gracias!

I got a couple questions for you moose masters

Is it ok to scout an area a couple months in advance say late summer, or would I be wasting my time?
I have both 168gr and 180gr 30-06 ammo. Would either work, or should I stick with the 180?
what about those coffee can and a string moose calls, are they a good idea? they don't look hard to make
I only have a daypack and a quad...should I get a packframe for the hunt?

how is the horsefly lake area?

todbartell
07-06-2008, 12:12 AM
I have both 168gr and 180gr 30-06 ammo. Would either work, or should I stick with the 180?

Bullet type is more important than weight. Some bullets are designed to penetrate heavy bone and muscle and that is what you want for moose. Nosler Partitions, Nosler Accubonds, Barnes X, and similar. Sure you can use a regular bullet and it'll most likely work, but for the small price you pay for premium ammo, it's worth it. A drop in the bucket on a trip like this, especially your first moose! :D

bosch
07-06-2008, 12:23 AM
Take an old canoe paddle and shorten the handle so you can carry it. Rake it along branches when walking through thick brush. You would be surprised how adding this to a moose call will increase your odds. Good luck!

Tarp Man
07-06-2008, 12:39 AM
I shoot a 30/06 and have had good success using Winchester Silvertip 180gr (not recommended) and Remington's factory loaded Swift A-Frame in 180gr. Bullet placement is most critical, but don't cheap out with bullets. A box or two of cheap stuff to practice with and a box of premium bullets (a few to sight in with, then the rest for future hunts) and you are set. It is also worth finding a bullet weight and type that shoot well from your gun. This usually means buying a few boxes and trying them out. Also known as a range day.

Jonathan

peterrum3
07-06-2008, 01:40 AM
Tarp Man's advice is bang on. I use a 30.06 as well and get ready for the season exactly the way he describes. Bosch is right as well but I just use any good sized stick I can find on the ground. In my opinion scouting 2 months early is more for fun and a hike, and nice to see the animals in advance but its 50/50 whether they will still be in the area when the season opens. Once the rut starts the bulls are moving around and looking for the ladies. I take advantage of the early scouting to find my best way into an area and to set up a few spots where I can sit and call from. I've never had to use my pack frame for moose but I always take it with me and leave it in the truck/boat in case I need it. Never hunted Horsefly so can't help you there.

riflebuilder
07-06-2008, 06:53 AM
I shot a bull once about 1.5 km off of the road....NEVER DO THAT...the best advice is to read everything you can about moose hunting and pick up some videos and practice your calling. Moose hunting is a great time untill you pull the trigger then it becomes great work. The meat is good so be prepared to properly take care of it.