PDA

View Full Version : Dall Sheep

kennyj
07-04-2008, 06:57 AM
After many years of applying I finally drew a Tat Dall sheep tag.I'm still in shock!Anyone bin there done that and wouldn't mind sharing a little info?
I'm wondering if the pull off the highway is easy to find.
Thanks
kenny

Greenhead
07-04-2008, 07:19 AM
Wow! Congrats! How many years of putting in fo it?

Someone had to ask!!
Looking forward to your posts regarding this hunt, I'm sure I'm not the only one that will be living vicariously through you.
Good luck,
GH

budismyhorse
07-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Done it, but the West Side only, pm me if you want some info. I couldn't have done the trip without a tonne of good info so I'll repay a fellow sheep hunter gladly!

your post is funny to me because the turn off was hard to find. but not that hard, 2 days of driving hell will do that to anyone.

bigwhiteys
07-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Congrats! Sounds like you're in for an adventure!

Carl

Huey
07-04-2008, 09:13 AM
sorry for being so new to all this but what is 'tat'??

Congrats by the way!!

BCrams
07-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Congrats Ken - here's the info you're asking for.

Parton River: This trail is located roughly 112 kilometres south of Haines Junction on the Haines Highway, just past Stanley Creek. From here take the gravel road that turns off the highway toward the Tatshenshini River. It is recommended that visitors obtain the correct 1:50,000 scale maps for this trip (# 114 P/10 - Nadahini Creek, # 114 P/11 - Carmine Mountain and # 114 P/15 - Parton River). Park your vehicle at the Tatshenshini River to begin your hunt.

The Parton River trail leading to Shinny Lakes and the northern reaches of the O’Conner River begins with crossing the Tatshenshini River and then the Parton River. The hiking is good until the first obstacle - a rock slide area. This begins at UTM coordinates 397020 E / 6639350 N to 396906 E / 6639287 N. This also continues up until 396822 E / 6639150 N. The rock slide area has two more obstacles at UTM coordinates 396635 E / 6638929 N and 396549 E / 6638102 N. The second obstacle is known for clogging up mountain bike tires. The third obstacle has two slides that completely cover the road.

After the third obstacle you cross a prominent gully, and then the hiking becomes better as it follows an old mining road. At the next creek encountered it is very easy to lose the trail and end up bushwhacking through a muskeg. Pay attention after passing the “old wagon” staying to the right fork away from the Parton River, this will keep you on track. The hiking is good up to the old cabin by the junction in the road. The junction is at UTM coordinates 393884 E / 6631715 N.

Going northwest will put you on the Shinny Lakes trail, which has spectacular scenery throughout. The trail has good hiking following the old mining road and horse trail. Mountain biking is not recommended past the first lake, as the trail is very narrow and soft. This lake is suitable for swimming because it has little vegetation and a gravely beach at the east end. At this point the trail becomes a narrow horse trail.

Back at the junction, going East across the creek will put you on the O’Conner Trail, roughly about 16 kilometres, to an old airstrip. There is a steep climb for about three kilometres (2 miles). Then it slopes off to the first and only obstacle - a serious rockslide. This begins at UTM coordinates 394849 E / 6630935 N to 394855 E / 6630880 N which covers the whole road completely. This slide has a treacherous detour below and above it. Use extreme caution when hiking around or over it. After the obstacle there is another steep climb and then the trail levels off. The trail follows along the valley below, which provides spectacular scenery. The trail leads down into the valley and through to the old airstrip.

Squaw Range: Access to the Squaw Range begins the same as the Parton River description listed above. When you reach the west side of the valley, take the right hand fork, following an old mining road up Goldrun Creek. This road climbs steeply, traversing the range and ending near Talbot Creek. To continue this traverse one must route find their way across the Talbot Creek watershed to meet up with the south end of old Squaw Creek mining road. This old road will take you in a northwesterly direction, following Squaw Creek down to the British Columbia / Yukon border and out of the park.

Along the way, visitors may notice signs of historic placer mining activities. It is recommended that visitors obtain the correct 1:50,000 scale map for this trip (# 114 P/10 - Nadahini Creek).

Chuck Creek: This trail is located roughly 141 kilometres south of Haines Junction on the Haines Highway. This trail is great for both hiking and mountain biking. It is recommended that visitors obtain the correct 1:50,000 scale map for this trip (# 114 P/10 - Nadahini Creek). Park your vehicle at the newly established pullout.
The Chuck Creek trail starts in a wide, open sub-alpine valley, with mountainous vistas in all directions. There are several large ditches where road culverts use to be. If you are enjoying this trail by mountain bike you should stick to the main trail at all times to avoid damaging the surrounding vegetation.

After roughly three kilometres, Mineral Lakes will come into view to your left. If you decide to continue further along this trail you will come across Chuck Creek. At this location a shallow water crossing is required, so you may wish to have additional footwear such as sandals with you. The rocks on the bottom of the creek are slippery and sometimes sharp, so be careful when crossing.

At approximately seven kilometre point into this trip, the trail drops down to Clear Creek where another shallow water crossing is required. At this location the Samuel Glacier will be greeting you with its spectacular scenery. The trail becomes very indistinct from here as it continues to a large gravel out wash. From here the trail becomes a route and continues on for several more kilometres heading down hill, so if you don’t with to enjoy an uphill return trip - it may be a good time to turn around.

This hike or mountain bike ride is best to do during fair weather, as trail conditions can be rather soggy during periods of rainy weather. As well the fine mud encountered during wet conditions can severely clog up your mountain bike wheels.

Copper Butte: This trail is located roughly 160 kilometres south of Haines Junction on the Haines Highway - approximately 4 kilometres past Three Guardsmen Lake. Park your vehicle at Seltat pull off where your hike begins by walking down the old Haines Road.

You walk roughly 2.5 kilometres down the old Haines Road until you come to Schulz Creek, which will be the second creek you encounter. From here you stay right and begin a moderately strenuous hike through the Alder for about 100m until it opens up to the old Copper Butte mining road.

From the Copper Butte mining road you can follow the road which leads you right to the old mines. It is a very scenic route that contains many visible remains left behind from past mining activities. Once you reach the first plateau the terrain opens up. You will be greeted with mountainous vistas and get a bird’s eye view of Inspector Creek.
The mine on the East facing slope is unstable and in rough shape and should not be entered for it could be hazardous. Because the weather is so unpredictable you should carry a jacket and rain gear with you. You should also bring water and something to eat. But most importantly enjoy the hike.

srupp
07-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Tatsennshinni very north west of bc..mecca for DALL sheep

not as much detail as Gregs report..WOW.........GREAT REORT Greg..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steven

mntbowhunter
07-04-2008, 09:20 AM
My dad has a friend who went into tatsenshini ( I doubt thats how you spell that) twice and did not get a ram. He said alot of the sheep in there are fanins but they are there. I think he did get a shot at a legal ram but missed it. All the best luck to you Ken its getting harder and harder to get a dall out of B.C and I sure hope you get one.

boxhitch
07-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Good info Rams. From a hiking site ?

Keep in mind, that if your GPS is setup on a different GRID setting, the coords will be out of whack somewhat.

BCrams
07-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Good info Rams. From a hiking site ?

Keep in mind, that if your GPS is setup on a different GRID setting, the coords will be out of whack somewhat.

Yep.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/tatshens/

bayou
07-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Been in 6-29 side but it was some time ago if I can find my maps your welcome to any info.

kennyj
07-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the great info BCrams,and all others.I've been applying for this tag for at least 12 years in a row,and several times before that over the years.I love to hunt for sheep but have been waiting for this tag to really buckle down.Did I mention that I'm STOKED!

kennyj
07-04-2008, 06:14 PM
Hey Heuy,
The Tat is tatshenshini River,In NW BC just below the Yukon.

bayou
07-06-2008, 07:29 PM
Ken
Found a map so heres a few spots that held sheep but like I said it was a few years ago, scottie mountain above shinny lakes actually the mountain on the other side of the lakes had rams also, the back of the parton, back of goldrun and talbot creek. I was heading for fault creek but someone was already in there I meet them on the way out they had a nice ram it would be somewhere to check. I also went in sept I think more people may go earlier. When I was there it was pretty easy to find the trails but they were also working and blasting in goldrun at the time.
Good luck

BCHunterFSJ
07-08-2008, 10:55 AM
BCrams has supplied you with the very best information possible!
My buddy and I hunted Squaw Ridge and both got rams. His actually made the BC Record Book! You WILL be working hard for those rams; I lost 14 pounds in 12 days of hunting... If the "tat" is in flood condition, you will have quite the experience crossing it. Been there...done that!

kennyj
07-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Hey bayou,and BCHunterFSJ.
Thanks for the great info.
Kenny