View Full Version : 7-20 Elk

stella-artois
07-03-2008, 05:44 PM
I got drawn for either sex elk in 7-20 dec-feb
if anyone could offer some info on this hunt
thanks in advance

Ironball
07-03-2008, 05:53 PM
My brother in law got a draw for 7-20 also.We will be staying in a co-workers cabin, who has about 2500 acres but i have never been there either.Looking forward to try something different.Are you thinking of driving or flying there?

Kevin

stella-artois
07-03-2008, 05:55 PM
we will most likely be driving

geno
07-03-2008, 08:26 PM
i also got this draw.... so i will also be needing some info..
thanks geno

Flingin' Sticks
07-03-2008, 09:39 PM
First off, this is probably as close to a gimmie hunt as you're ever going to find. My family has had this draw twice with a total of eight tags to be filled on two trips. We have taken six elk over the two years. You can work for it by climbing and stalking (what we did), or some places you can just drive into a pasture and pick your animals. there are just that many animals up there. Remember that this draw is for much more than just 7-20. It seems like it is valid in most all of 7B. We usually go up to pink mountain (7-45 I think) and the hunting has always been excelent.

It is a private land hunt, so you probably want to secure permission before heading up. I think either the MOE or some outfit up there produces a list of all the ranchers who have complained about the elk herds and their contact numbers. most all the ranchers will give you permission to hunt, as the elk do so much damage to their winter feed supplies.

One thing you have to watch out for though is that some ranchers have been known to encourage less than ethical/legal behaviour to the hunters on their property. My wife's grandfather had this happen to him a couple of years ago. thats how big a nuicense these animals have become up there.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to put in a little leg work once the land owner has pointed you in the right direction. it's an amazing hunt and I'm none to pleased that my application got rejected this year.

BiG Boar
07-03-2008, 10:46 PM
what does elk taste like? My buddy got a draw and I am thinking of helping him out it.

x-hare
07-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I also got the draw not sure how its going to work out.
But I could definatly use some HEEEEEEEEEELP.

Hoytster
07-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Got this draw 2 years in a row now.....called the Co's up in that area and they faxed me a list of ranchers that want them off their fields....its a hit or miss because its usually an old list. Most of the contacts that did phone me back gave me permission but stated that they (elk) were there last year but maybe not this year...so.....its a real gamble. My father in Law went up this year and on the last day, they found a small herd on public land....they split it between 2 families. Not bad meat but Im still partial to the chewy moose!...lol..

Ironball
07-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Spoke with a co-worker today and told him we got a draw ,said we can stay in his cabin but also said that this is prime oil and gas drilling season so stay with someone or bring your own accomodations as most of the rental accomodations in town are accounted for.

kevin

bwhnter
07-04-2008, 10:33 PM
If you have the either sex tag I am in envey of you. That is one of the tags that I wanted BAD. If you are willing to do your homework and work hard the potential to get a big bull is really good. I know that alot of you would just be happy with any elk but the bulls that have been coming out of these regions are unreal and to be able to hunt them late is a challenge that I want. I will be helping a good friend of mine to fill his tag and i am trying to convince him to hold out for somthing REALLY good but he might not have the kind of time that I want to put in but I still have a six months to convince him or find a bull that will convince him.

Good Luck
Bwhnter

geno
07-05-2008, 01:33 PM
does anyone know of a good cheap hunter friendly motel or atleast a good place to stay out there... location isn't really all that importint.
thanks

Ironball
07-06-2008, 06:27 PM
What month are you guys thinking of going.Would it be better to go up in Dec than Feb?

bwhnter
07-06-2008, 06:59 PM
talking to the farmers it seems to depend on the amount of snow fall so Jan is probably better.

moosinaround
07-06-2008, 07:10 PM
what does elk taste like? My buddy got a draw and I am thinking of helping him out it.
Closest game animal to good beef In my opinion. Moosin

moosinaround
07-06-2008, 07:12 PM
My sister got an anterless draw for 7-20 dec-feb. We will go up. My neighbor went up and got one last year. Moosin

geno
07-06-2008, 07:29 PM
my tag is from Dec to Feb... who knows might see some of you guys and gals up there.. meet up for a beer or somthing..
im thinking of going up in the middle of Jan. it'll give me somthing to do for my birthday.

BCRiverBoater
07-06-2008, 08:06 PM
I live in FSJ so if anyone is up here this winter I may be able to help out or more importantly go for a beer. Post closer to winter or PM me.

bwhnter
07-06-2008, 09:55 PM
I will be out doing quite a bit of scouting for my buddy and if you guys are looking for cows I will see what I can do. Last year I tried to get a few people from this site permission but had a bit of a tough time with some of the land owners that I know because they didn't know them. So this year I will see if I can find some cows on the crown land around the private. No promises but I will try to keep you posted.

Bwhnter

BCRiverBoater
07-07-2008, 04:00 AM
Just keep the bulls for us...lol Do not give out our secrets.

I just may know a few spots for some cows as well for the regulars on here.

geno
07-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Man its not even hunting season yet and you guys are already holdin out on us.. i can only imagin how its going to be getting closer to december...
" there's no elk up here. nope not a one.. ya just missed them. they left last week" lol

Frango
07-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Like Chicken

BCHunterFSJ
07-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Elk numbers in the Fort St. John area are very high. Make sure to get landowner permission on more than one place (the more the better), as the herds do move around from day to day. Bring good gear, as the weather conditions at this time of year can be very severe! Put in the time and effort and you WILL get an elk. In case you don't get permission, do not despair; you can hunt on crown land within 2000 meters of private land. They will often feed on farmer's fields but bed down on crown land... This will require some scouting and a lot more work, but is a good way to get an elk without permission. Good luck to all of you!

Hoytster
07-08-2008, 02:21 PM
I plan on heading up mid-late Jan for mine.....packin my Hoyt but taking my Tikka just in case....I wouldnt mind hooking up with someone going around that time.....

Cris

todbartell
07-08-2008, 07:57 PM
They will often feed on farmer's fields but bed down on crown land... This will require some scouting and a lot more work, but is a good way to get an elk without permission.

good way to have a fun hunt too! :D

geno
07-09-2008, 12:58 PM
how vital would it be to have a snowmobile on this hunt?

BCRiverBoater
07-10-2008, 12:21 AM
I would say almost nil. You are going to be hunting all farmers land or within 2000 meters so you have road access to all areas. You may want to walk the crown land but will be within a km of a road at the most.