PDA

View Full Version : Keremeos/Ahnola

Blainer
07-03-2008, 01:19 PM
I assume it's about time for people to start looking for information regarding their LEH draws.I received a BIG HORN SHEEP draw in region
8-03A,for the early August hunt.I have received some information from previous hunters in the area,but was hoping to obtain more information from someone local to the area.The draw is basically for a week and only 7 tags were alotted.I'm looking for any recomendations regarding,lodging and hunting areas,altitudes,ect.Please post or PM me if you're are able to help.
Thanks
Blainer

riflebuilder
07-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Good luck on your sheep hunt.

Blainer
07-04-2008, 06:57 AM
Thanks to anyone who has offered any insight to this area.This may be the only opportunity to draw a sheep tag in a lifetime,so I'm trying to obtain as much knowledge as possible.Do you think it is worth trying to contact the local C/O?What about an outfitter?

Greenhead
07-04-2008, 07:24 AM
I found the CO wasn't much help when planning my hunt, but he gave me the number of the biologist for the area which was really helpfull. I'll try and find his name and number if I can remember where its written down and I'll PM it to you.
OH, and good luck on your hunt!
GH

Garret
07-04-2008, 07:29 AM
I wouldnt talk to the outfitter in there they are pretty much the worse people to talk to as you would be their competition best advise i can give is get a pack on and hike before the season starts its a great place to hike around.

By the way congrats been applying for that draw for years.

bigwhiteys
07-04-2008, 09:11 AM
I wouldnt talk to the outfitter in there they are pretty much the worse people to talk to as you would be their competition best advise i can give is get a pack on and hike before the season starts its a great place to hike around.

Letting the outfitter know when you're coming and where you plan to go is a courtesy. They may not be the best to ask for info but I would definitely keep them in the loop as to your plans. You'll probably both want to avoid each other. I know they will appreciate it.

Carl

Stone Sheep Steve
07-04-2008, 09:57 AM
I doubt you'll run into the G/O. He spends most of his time in 8-03B.....but I'm not sure he he has separate allocations for the two sides or not: however, you will run into other hunters that have the same draw as you as well as guys scouting for the later draws. The sheep will be pressured even if it's the first draw. Find out where the pressure will come from and hunt adjacent areas that are not so easy to hunt.

Lots of FSR camping sites scattered along the Ashnola River. If it's a dry summer "think water".

SSS

bigwhiteys
07-04-2008, 10:00 AM
Lots of FSR camping sites scattered along the Ashnola River. If it's a dry summer "think water".

I drove through some of the Ashnola yesterday and was thinking the same thing... Water looks scarce up in the hills.

Carl

GoatGuy
07-04-2008, 11:00 AM
I doubt you'll run into the G/O. He spends most of his time in 8-03B.....but I'm not sure he he has separate allocations for the two sides or not: however, you will run into other hunters that have the same draw as you as well as guys scouting for the later draws. The sheep will be pressured even if it's the first draw. Find out where the pressure will come from and hunt adjacent areas that are not so easy to hunt.

SSS

Almost like you've hunted there before!:shock:

The outfitters there are really good as well. As SSS said I think they spend the first hunt on the snowy side.

Think mule deer and stay away from the 'high country'. All you'll see up there is hunters sky lining themselves.

Big Bucks
07-04-2008, 11:05 AM
Hey Blainer , I had the same draw as you but a week or so later but when i went to go up the mountain i got snowed out big time . I couldn't even walk in it it snowed so much .So it is good that you got the first draw there . I did some decent scouting up there before hand , great country up there . You will have to back pack way in there though to get the big rams so make sure you are in good shape before you go . make sure you got good bino's . Congrats on getting the draw i wish i had got my shot .
good luck .

David Heitsman
07-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Can't help you as I've only been into Zone B.
Stayed a few days once at the Cathedral Lakes Lodge but they told me that they rarely see the sheep up there.