PDA

View Full Version : vancouver Salmon FIshing

Gateholio
07-02-2008, 10:24 PM
It looks liek we may have time to do a couple of Vancouver fishing trips in the next couple of weeks. No time to go to the Island...

I used to salmon fish at Cap River, off Stanley Park near Cap River, off John Lawson Park in West Van, and sometimes over by Bowen Island

But that was years ago...

Any good reccomendations for 1-2 days from now to end of July?

Dirty
07-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Cap is still good, maybe see if you can hitch a ride and go barfishing on the Fraser with one of the members of the site.

BlacktailStalker
07-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Yup, Cap can still be really good.

Mr. Dean
07-03-2008, 12:15 AM
You can still nab fish from all them spots, just depends if they're 'there' when you are. Cap fishing is CRAZY busy, even when there is no catching. I hate it big time - Its an unorganized circus at best.

BlacktailStalker
07-03-2008, 08:46 AM
What about "hole in the wall" out from of the ferry terminal?
That was a real good fishery there. I used to hike the rail road tracks from the train yard, down the mountain to the rocks and cast with stingsildas and Jensen Pirkens when I was a kid, used to always hook into fish (saw lots caught too)

MB_Boy
07-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Gate...

I was out on the water on Sunday and Tuesday; right now the Cap looked pretty slow. Definitely don't see the coho's out there like normal around this time of the year.

Having said that; the fishing for springs seems to be picking up out of the Pt. Grey Bell Buoy, QA marker etc. Squamish fish are starting to appear in Howe Sound.

I would imagine that things should start to pick up along Ambleside, Cap Mouth etc, but as for right now I think it is pretty spotty. I have been watching for boats and even on Canada Day I think I saw ONLY 3-5 boats between the Cap and Lighthouse working that water.

Plincker
07-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I've heard of a few fish being caught up Howe Sound. 24lb'er off Porteau and a 12lb'er near Defence Is. If you got a boat launch from Porteau and fish the sound, I'd stay away from the cravyness off the Cap. If you're looking for someone to take you out, PM me and I can set you up with my Buddy who lives in Lions Bay and he knows where all the hot spots are at the moment. He'll drop some Prawn and Crab traps too while you're out.

Good luck,

Plincker

Gateholio
07-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the help, guys!!

Looks liek we may take a run down there tomorrow (Sunday)

Anybody want to let me know where the hot spots are going to be?:grin:

Also, where are th boat launches these days. Used to be one at Horseshoe Bay, Ambleside, Porteau Cove....

It's been so long since I launched a boat around there, I'm relying on my memories of 22 years ago!:eek:

MB_Boy
07-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the help, guys!!

Looks liek we may take a run down there tomorrow (Sunday)

Anybody want to let me know where the hot spots are going to be?:grin:

Also, where are th boat launches these days. Used to be one at Horseshoe Bay, Ambleside, Porteau Cove....

It's been so long since I launched a boat around there, I'm relying on my memories of 22 years ago!:eek:

Clarke....things are a bit slow but and definitely don't waste your time with Ambleside. Bowen, Howe Sound, Hole in the Wall.....heard of a few by the Point Grey Bell Buoy but all in all it isn't all that "hot" right now.

Launches are Ambleside, Vanier, Porteau and I am not sure about Horseshoe and it's status.

In case you need gas on the water; Fisherman's Cove gas dock is closed.

oldtimer
07-12-2008, 01:37 PM
Clarke, Back in the olden days when I used to exist in the big smoke the spots that always produced if all else failed was the Bell Bouy at point Grey and also Point Atkinson. Now that was a looooooong time ago but might still be valid.
And before anybody gets smart the answer is " yes we had motors back then " Mike