PDA

View Full Version : 5-02 info

Shooter
07-02-2008, 07:24 PM
Well my son got his first LEH draw ever and it was a doe draw for area
5-02 from oct1-nov30. Since I have no idea about this area and need to start doing a little research for a trip I thought a good place to start would be on these forums. 5-02 is a large area and any info/advice on where to look and what times are best would be appreciated. Looks like unfortunately most if not all Nov is out for a trip so it is looking like an Oct trip. Any buck is also open in the area thru Oct and into mid nov I believe. Is there any towns that are ok to use for home base in decent area's up there or are we best served to drag the trailer along for the ride and find a place to set up? Also whats it like trying to find coolers to hang meat for you up there?

Thanx in advance for any advice I may get.

srupp
07-02-2008, 08:19 PM
hmmm 5-02 what zone...there are lots of places to start from...

Steven

Timbow
07-02-2008, 08:22 PM
I would recomend McLeese Lake on Thanksgiving weekend or later. Good chance to get a buck and the does are everywhere.

if you're interested I could give you a specific area.

Cheers

Shooter
07-02-2008, 08:22 PM
The youth only draw he pulled is for all of area 5-02 there is no specified sub zone. Its draw #7053

Shooter
07-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Awesome thanx for the info guys. I'm gonna have to pick up a map of the area's up there. Is there a forestry map or search and rescue map at all or is the backroad mapbook generally good enough?

plumbob
07-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Just about all of 5-02 is great for that draw try mcclease lake beaver valley road.

Jelvis
07-02-2008, 08:34 PM
I'd go Timothy Mtn area. Look at Lac la Hache, go east to the Timothy Lake and area. Ski resort up there on Mt Timothy, and good deer hunting. Jel
Stay at Lac la hache or drive out and camp some where have some real fun out by a nice spot. October would be good from middle on and cools down at night. jel

ex bc guide
07-02-2008, 09:11 PM
My son has the same draw, it is his first leh as well.

todbartell
07-02-2008, 09:21 PM
I have drawn for Zone D Oct 1-31 for mulie doe, so any help there would be much appreciated :D

todbartell
07-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Kechika will be tagging along on this hunt so he can learn how to hunt deer, so any info for him would be helpful too! :)

dime
07-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Just North of Lac La Hache is the Mackintosh lakes area. Good mule deer hunting and less hunting pressure than the Mcleese lake area. We had two LEH doe tags last year that went unfilled, although we did see about a hundred trucks and people camped up and down the FSRs around 5-02 D. Buddy and I said we would not put in for the area again. I personally am going to check out the Kamloops area rather than the gong show of hunters in Mcleese lake.
Straight shooting,
Dime

Timbow
07-02-2008, 10:07 PM
I have drawn for Zone D Oct 1-31 for mulie doe, so any help there would be much appreciated :D

The Nyland Lake area would be the spot I would recommend for that draw. Lots of logging but they are there. The bucks are there as well so you might get lucky on a good one. Seen a 190" typical mulie come out of the area 2 years ago. Really good gene pool out there.

Use to be my old stomping grounds for deer until I moved. Still hit the area at least 5 times a year.

Cheers

srupp
07-02-2008, 10:26 PM
I have lots of great ideas on super doe areas..another thought is I have a "contact" who runs a LARGE ranch..and has between 200 and 400 deer on it..and would be willing to convince them to allow these new youth hunters to harvest a doe off their ALPHALPHA fields..

It would be great eater..fresh alphalpha..and the body weights are usually 75 pounds or more HEAVIER...awwww MORE STEAKS...:mrgreen:

OR a short distance away is a great doe area thats a SLAM...

either / or ..... send me a PM and I will send some maps/GPS locations...for the open crown land..or arrange a "invitation" to "THE RANCH" for YOUTH HUNTERS...

Congradulations..

hmm Im here to help..

Cheers

Steven