PDA

View Full Version : Harrison East

TIKA 300
07-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Went up Harrison East today for a drive,seen 3 bears (how do you tell size when they are on all fours ?????)Seen 2 deer,which one was a 2 pt,a momma grouse with her babies,and some very nice size deer tracks(?????? Are those Mulies that far out or Blacktails ?????? Past Shovel,and Butter creeks)

For the MODERATORS

While driving there today,i thought why doesnt HBC have a STICKY on rd conditions(unless there is and i have my blinders on AGAIN)The reason for this thought was the main rd is seriously growing in,and didnt know a thing about it.

ElectricDyck
07-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Sounds like a good drive! How far up did you go?

TIKA 300
07-02-2008, 06:52 PM
Roughly 34k up Big Silver,the turn off for Nahatlach is about 25k :cool:

ElectricDyck
07-02-2008, 07:03 PM
That was fairly grown in last year already, no wash outs? Beautiful country once you get up into the pass. We bumped into 2 guys that swore they saw a goat up there.

TIKA 300
07-02-2008, 07:30 PM
That areas been 1 of my favs for a while.6 years ago we crossed to Nahatlach 8 times plus camped in the area i was today at least 4 times,plus just went for the day another 4 times(once with the full moon on a clear night).That area rejuvenates me every time there.

The goat thing would not surprise me,with the ruggedness of those mountains.

A question ive had about the area is GRIZ ?????,they've been spotted up Nahatlach,why not Harrison

browningboy
07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
The grillies are all over, don't be fooled that they aren't in Harrison, they are at the northern end and I'm sure a few problem / curious ones come in every once in a while.

CooperSscat
07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
I did the crossover last Sept from Nahatlatch down to Big Silver by myself. It was barely passable then. The country was breathtaking though.

I'm all for a FSR road sticky though as this site( http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/dck/Engineering/fsroadconditions.htm) wasn't too up to date the past couple of seasons for me. Understandable though with the heavy storms we've had the past couple of years.

Jeremy

wolverine
07-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I don't think Griz know the difference between Nahatalach and Harrison. I know they're in the Nahatalach. To me it just makes sense that they would be in the upper Harrison too. A few years ago they removed a problem Griz from up towards Pemberton and relocated it in the Princton area somewhere. It took a few weeks but the bear made it's way back down through the Skagit, out through the Chillwack River valley, up over Elk Mountain, through the Fraser Valley up around Popkum, up the East side of Harrison and eventually back to the Pemberton area. It had a radio collar and was tracked. It wasn't widly divulged to the public while it was going on for obvious reasons. There were sightings of it by farmers in the Fraser Valley but again the reports were not circulated until the bear was back in the Pemberton area. Then the local paper ran a story about it. So yeah... they do move around a bit alright.

browningboy
07-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I used to hunt the nahatlatch for years as my partner owned a cabin on Hannah Lake, there are alot of cool things up there, up on lookout road you will find the old fire lookout, what a view from the tower! and just down the road closer to Keefers is the old cemetary with graves from the 1800's, pretty wild, but if you want to seee grizzlies, go past nahatlatch lake towards the old logging camp, when the salmon are running you'll run into one but yes what rugged country but the goat sighting in harrison I would question but you never know.

TIKA 300
07-02-2008, 09:02 PM
2 years ago i was up Kwoiek creek north of Nahatlach,and seen the head and A$$ of a bear going into the bush which i thought might have been a griz,but it moved to quickly for proper ID.The hanging Valley area might also have them,since this is between Nahatlach,and the Stein (thats another truly amazing area on a clear day,but only been there once)

Talked with a trapper whos line is Harrison East about griz ,and he claims he's never seen 1,but says the area up top of Shovel Creek @ the end of a spur rd is about 100 acres of prime alpine that griz love (i know 100 acres is a drop in the bucket for these animals)

Now after writing this makes me realize HOW MUCH i need A QUAD :wink:

ASPEN
07-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Saw 5 separate grizz in hanging valley couple years back.As for goats, on the kookippi right in the pass-we came around the bend and had 4 goats standing on the road-one was a really old billy!Pretty cool too see.