PDA

View Full Version : Bushnell Warranty

Mr. Dean
06-30-2008, 02:29 AM
A while back I sent in a scope for repair. I recently recieved a letter stating that the warranty expired (20yr term, scope bought in 76) and that repairs weren't feasible. They have offered me a 3-9x40 3200 Elite for $180.00 which is a decent offer IMO but I don't need it.

I could, however, use a different scope - Has anyone here been offered this before? Since me sending in this one, I've purchased 2 others, new. One identicle to the offer and a 4200 target variety. I'd Like to see if they'll credit me the 180 for use towards another product of theirs.

Thoughts on whether or not they'll 'bite'....

Thanks

Pete
06-30-2008, 04:40 AM
Very recently I sent a scope back to Bushnell through the Outdoor Store in Vernon. Bushnell replaced the scope and my only cost was the shipping. Totally unexpected but very much appreciated.

boxhitch
06-30-2008, 05:58 AM
Should be no skin of their butt, a sale is a sale. It costs nothing to ask.

Bow Walker
06-30-2008, 07:18 AM
I'd agree with boxhitch, they'll get more of your hard earned $$ by crediting you. Should be a no-brainer for them.

mark
06-30-2008, 07:27 AM
If im reading yer post right, they are not offering you $180, they are offering to sell you a scope for $180. Id guess thats a wholesale cost on that scope, maybe they will give you a wholesale type price on the scope you want.

Blainer
06-30-2008, 07:53 AM
I have to agree with Mark's understanding of there offer.They are offering you a scope at wholesale cost,not a credit.This seems like a fair proposal as you're scope was over 30 years old and was probably not near the quality of scopes today.If they offered a $180 credit,then everyone would mail back there old obsolete scopes for the credit.

Bow Walker
06-30-2008, 08:14 AM
......Thoughts on whether or not they'll 'bite'....

Thanks

What's the harm in asking? All they can do is say "No". I suspect that you already have asked them. What was their answer?

Steeleco
06-30-2008, 08:19 AM
So a "lifetime" is 20 years. Who's life??? They suck, I've had nothing but crappy service from Bushnell. That said do as suggested and take the credit and get what you can, if it's only the 3200 flip it and get a Leup or better!!!

Depending on which one of the many 3200's they're offering, their offer is no screaming deal??

http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlinestore/control/category/~category_id=10400026010577/~pcategory=10130

Barracuda
06-30-2008, 09:10 AM
I would take the 3200 over the V I or V II . .

If you are not happy with the offer explain to them that you dont give a damn about the offer but that you want your scope fixed or replaced free of charge.

Kechika
06-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Another reason to buy a Tasco

Mr. Dean
06-30-2008, 09:30 AM
If im reading yer post right, they are not offering you $180, they are offering to sell you a scope for $180. Id guess thats a wholesale cost on that scope, maybe they will give you a wholesale type price on the scope you want.

I thought of this also but soon squashed the notion. I think that what they're doing is trying to rid themselves of some excess production. But you're right, perhaps I should start here instead - I will.

Steeleco, in 1976, the warrenty was for 20 years; not life on this particular scope (ScopeChief).
Their offer is one of kindness, not of obligation. They couldv'e easily said "See ya later"!
Once you push #'s, the discounted scope is a pretty good effort on their part of retaining a happy customer IMO - Nowhere can one be had for this price.

BW - Nope; haven't done a thing except read the letter and pondered/posted. Wednesday this'll be dealt with. Until then, its all just reflection.

I'm sure this offer was offered to another member here. I'd really value this persons input also.

The Hermit
06-30-2008, 09:47 AM
If I needed a scope I'd take it! If not then I'd ask them if they would offer me an equally good deal on a range finder or....

brotherjack
06-30-2008, 09:57 AM
Bushnell Elite's are good stuff. Furthermore, I've had nothing but great service from both their products and their warranty department -- though I didn't actually have a defective scope it turned out, I had purchased one with the parallax setup for close range use (which I would have known, had I read the box) - despite it being my problem, they still went ahead and traded me for a comparable scope (for free) that was appropriate for my big game rifle and didn't bat an eye about it.

Anyway, I'd sure take em up on it if it was me. You either have a fairly nice scope for a great price, or you can re-sell it as NIB for a few dollars more than you paid for it. Either way, sounds like you want it, if you're asking me. :)

Thanks,

Mr. Dean
06-30-2008, 10:56 AM
I really don't *need* it. The day I sent it in, I was 'stuck' and replaced it with a NIB 3200 ($250.00 OTD). If Bushnell doesn't go with the idea of letting me take a different scope, I will buy it. What I'd do with it though, I'm not sure. I just hate snoozing on deals.

Doubt I'd sell it. If nothing else, I wouldn't be 'stuck' again - It would kinda be an insurance package OR another valid reason to buy yet ANOTHER gun (not likely anytime soon).

paper-weight is what I see in having another 3200, right now...

Blainer
06-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Scopechief sell for about $49-$89,no doubt it's more expensive to repair than to offer you the deal.
I wonder what it would have sold for in 1976?How many on this site were not born in 1976?

sealevel
06-30-2008, 08:47 PM
In the early 70s scopechief was there best scope . I bought one at taners sports in PG i think it was about 40 dollars in 1972 . Good tough scope.

browningboy
06-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Mr D, get the 4200 4x14 and that will be a good one and very attractive for others to buy, just my thoughts.8)

The Hermit
06-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Scopechief sell for about $49-$89,no doubt it's more expensive to repair than to offer you the deal.
I wonder what it would have sold for in 1976?How many on this site were not born in 1976?

LOL I was married and divorced by then!!! Pups!!! :-P

Mr. Dean
07-01-2008, 01:46 AM

I was. :mrgreen:
Not totally over the hill yet, my farts are just beginning to ripen.

browningboy;
Mr D, get the 4200 4x14 and that will be a good one and very attractive for others to buy, just my thoughts

I just bought a 4200 4-16x40 a couple months ago. Again, not needed.

sealevel;
In the early 70s scopechief was there best scope . I bought one at taners sports in PG i think it was about 40 dollars in 1972 . Good tough scope.

Tough as nails. I still have another just like it atop of a .308
-------------

The only 2 scopes that I really 'need' at the moment would be a nice 3x9 for my CZ .22 (pending on parallax, the one offered might work) or a sweet 24 varipower target variety - I made a mistake of buying the 4-16 4200 because I'm a cheap buffoon. The 24 power would replace it.

But none of this is pressing and I'm trying REAL hard to save up for something else - I found a shotty that's just begging for me to buy it. :rolleyes:

It's the typical conundrum; not enough pay the day after payday.
I really hoped that this thread would help me select a path to take. Instead it has only added to the confusion.

Whatever... When I wake up Wedensday morning I'll just go with the 1st thought of the day and will see then, where we land. :smile:

browningboy
07-01-2008, 07:17 AM
What I meant by the 4200 purchase isn't for yourself but you could turn around and sell it quickly (if feasible) on here as it's a sought after scope for most with a budget, then you can make a few bucks. Just a thought.

todbartell
07-01-2008, 11:18 AM
buy the Elite offer for $180 and sell it for $200 shipped NIB, it wont last long

Mr. Dean
07-01-2008, 11:31 AM
hmmm. I think if Bushnell goes for it (4200 of some description), the chances are good, that I'll be upgrading one of my own rifles, then perhaps selling off what ever it replaces. :smile:

That's the plan: Try for a BIG 4200 or a 3200 that's tailored for my .22 and insist that Mrs. Dean kicks in for the shotty (this'll not only hurt but will leave marks).
If they're bent on me taking what's offered, well,,, we'll see.

The 'Hummer'
07-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Very recently I sent a scope back to Bushnell through the Outdoor Store in Vernon. Bushnell replaced the scope and my only cost was the shipping. Totally unexpected but very much appreciated.
That's much the same as what I've experienced with Bushnell products. While most of my present optics are Leupold, in the past it was Bushnell. I've had very few problems and any of those that I have had were delt with quickly.
The only Bushnell I have had or have that is questionable is one that was part of a package deal on my rim fire for gophers. It's a 3x9 Rim Fire model, a made in China variety, that came with my Ruger SS 10/22. Quality leaves a lot to be desired. Being Bushnell, I never thought there'd be that noticeable a difference in quality, however, you get what you pay for I guess.
Not too long ago, my daughter & son in law gave me a 3x9 Bushnell 3200 Elite that I was planning on putting on a custom 7x57 but I may try it out on the 10/22 instead.

Mr. Dean
07-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Hummer, check the parallax setting on the model you have - It may not be a good option.

The 'Hummer'
07-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Hummer, check the parallax setting on the model you have - It may not be a good option.
Any adjustment capabilities for parallax are usually done on the front end of the scope. This one, and it's the Rim Fire I'm talking about, being or being closer to your basic model of 3x9 has no such adjustment feature. The only adjustment is for the power selection and of course the rear eye piece for focus.

MRBucks
07-01-2008, 02:19 PM
I had a Scopechief V which I think I bought in 1980 or so. It developed a very stiff zoom ring after 20+ years. I sent it in for repairs, and they said it must have been dropped. (This is when Bushnell had a warranty repair place on 10th Ave. by Arbutus.) I argued that I would have remembered if I had dropped it. After all it's a pretty important part of your hunting trips. You do tend to take care of them.

Anyways I ended up taking it to Reliable Gun where I had originally purchased it, and Dave put me in touch with the local rep. The guy was really good. He sent it back east to the main repair depot. a month later a brand new 3200 Elite showed up, with an explanation that, that particular Scopechief they no longer made, and hoped I would be happy with the new n/c replacement. Now it didn't come with the rangefinder, or the bullet drop compensator, that my old Scopechief had, but then I rarely had time in hunting situations to even bother with those features anyway.

Very happy with the 3200 Elite!

Steeleco
07-01-2008, 06:04 PM
You NEED one of these. http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_elite6500_65-4305m.cfm

you know you do!!

mud-dog27
07-01-2008, 08:36 PM
buy the Elite offer for $180 and sell it for $200 shipped NIB, it wont last long

hell depending on what model of 3200
id pay $200 for it NIB as i need a replacement for the old scopechief on my 300

Mr. Dean
07-02-2008, 12:11 AM
You NEED one of these. http://www.bushnell.com/general/riflescopes_elite6500_65-4305m.cfm

you know you do!!

Nope. Way to fancy for my simple-self. I like the wide range zoom though (4.5-30) but I'll shoot just as poorly with a lesser optic. :smile:

hell depending on what model of 3200
id pay $200 for it NIB as i need a replacement for the old scopechief on my 300

This thread isn't intended as being a "For Sale" thread. Whatever happens, there will be no NIB 'anything' going on the auction block. The only reason why I'm considering their offer is the same as yours - Its a deal for what they're asking.

MrBucks;
I've have two 3200's as is and yes, I do believe them to be excellent for the money spent AND saved. At full retail, they're a deal also.

Barracuda
07-02-2008, 12:19 AM
always nice to have a spare scope that you actually like instead of most folks spares that tend to be the one that was replaced.

Mr. Dean
07-02-2008, 04:24 PM
I couldn't get through to them this afternoon, their phone system was bogged down. I instead sent an email outlining my request and I'll try calling again, tomorrow morning.

I noticed on their website, under; Summer Deals, that they were making some NICE offers. 4200 3x9 for $299, other optics and a rangefinger for CHEAP also. FYI...

Mr. Dean
07-03-2008, 11:48 PM
I requested a price for my "Dream Scope" and they're pretty much 'stuck' on giving me what seems to be a 30ish dollar store credit. The scope I was wanting was listed for $670.oo, delivered.

My local guy could do better so I bought his instead. Go figure?