PDA

View Full Version : Treble hooks legal in lakes?

Chuck403
06-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi all, moved to BC last year, and looking forward to doing some fishing here.

While I was looking through the regulations, I see that for steams a "single barbless hook" must be used. I couldn't find anything about lakes though. Are treble hooks legal in lakes in BC?

Only reason I ask, is that is what most of my lures are wearing. Do I need to go through my tackle boxes and modify them all for fishing all waters in BC or am I good to go in lakes, just not streams?

Thanks.

Steeleco
06-29-2008, 04:16 PM
ALL freshwater fishing in BC is SINGLE BARBLESS hooks IIRC.

Statler
06-29-2008, 04:46 PM
I believe the regs say that it is unlawful to USE BARBED HOOKS OR A HOOK WITH MORE THAN ONE POINT IN ANY STREAM IN BC. According to regs on page 9 anyways. Although there can be water specific regs. Best to always check before if unsure. But hey I've been wrong before.

reach
06-29-2008, 04:58 PM
ALL freshwater fishing in BC is SINGLE BARBLESS hooks IIRC.
No, I believe Chuck403 is correct that barbed trebles are just fine in lakes unless specifically prohibited by region- or lake-specific regulations (e.g. Roche Lake in region 3).

All fishing for salmon (salt or fresh) is single barbless, and all stream fishing is single barbless, but trebles with or without barbs are still allowed in lakes.

Dannybuoy
06-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Check the regs on a lake by lake basis ..... ie Kootenay Lake is barbless hooks but may be single or treble

steelheadSABO
07-10-2008, 06:31 PM
you can use trebles in lakes but you can only use single barbed in lakes treble barbless and streams is single barbless hooks ive never used treble hooks because all the fishermen ive talked to said they are illegal in canada but i guess they where wrong

Wild one
07-10-2008, 08:27 PM
For those who say you can not use treb hooks in lakes in BC please tell me what page in the regs as I have read them front to back every year and I can't find were it says that.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Go to the regs and check out the lake that you want to fish. If the lake doesn't have a specific hook regulation(ie. single barbless) then you're okay to use a treble hook. If the lake doesn't appear in the regulations then you are still okay to use a treble hook.

SSS

steelheadSABO
08-05-2008, 09:05 PM
in the regs Only one single hook is allowed on your rod. Please note that barbless hooks are required to be used at some lakes.

Moosenose
08-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Go to the regs and check out the lake that you want to fish. If the lake doesn't have a specific hook regulation(ie. single barbless) then you're okay to use a treble hook. If the lake doesn't appear in the regulations then you are still okay to use a treble hook.

SSS

SSS nailed it;
some lakes are single barbless
many lakes treble barbless is OK
check the regs

1/2 slam
08-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Jeezuz people read the regs. Stone sheep Steeve has it right.

Moosenose show me where it says that all of BC is barbless. I sure can't find it in the regs. Specific lakes yes the whole province no.

Dirty
08-05-2008, 09:55 PM
The freshwater fishing regulations are relatively easy to read, unlike the hunting regulations where a lawyer is necessary to understand some of the stuff.

Chuck
08-05-2008, 11:21 PM
What about the guy who can't read and has nobody to read the regs to him? Hmmm....I wonder if it would work?