PDA

View Full Version : A REAL noob question

anglo-saxon
06-25-2008, 10:56 AM
All of the hunting I did in Alberta was pretty close to my truck (within 2-3 Km). Once I'd gutted my animal, it was just a case of hauling it on either a cart (if a buddy was with me and the animal was big enough to warrant it) or on a drag mat I rigged up (hard work, but it worked).

My issue is this:

In many pics I see of guys at the end of their hunts in the middle of nowhere, they are packing out antlers, grizzly heads, etc.

Where is the animal and what happens to it?

I though that the regs state that you have to take the animal to either your residence or a game butcher and that the tag must stay on until it's therewith evienc eof sex, etc. attached.

How is that possible when just packing out the antlers/head?

It's all a mystery to me. I'm curious vecause I'd like to get out into the real wilds and do some "real" hunting. I feel like what I was doing in Alberta was rather tame compared to what I see guys deep in the wilderness.

Any info much appreciated!

boxhitch
06-25-2008, 11:41 AM
You're seeing Trophy pictures, not the 'as it happens' coverage.

Nobody wants to see the pics of a hunter up to his elbows in a gut pile, or the leg of Elk strapped to a sweaty muddy packer, or the winchline sucking a Moose up to the edge by his windpipe, or the feather array after one pulls the breast from a grouse.

But $#it happens.

Fisher-Dude
06-25-2008, 11:44 AM
or the winchline sucking a Moose up to the edge by his windpipe

That's the best pic there is.

Mr. Dean
06-25-2008, 11:52 AM
It's permitted to 'piece' out an animal. Check the regs for more info.
And you're correct, a downed animal can be VERY tough work getting it all back too a road. It's common to hear it taking a couple days in-fact.

In BC one needs to ponder if he/she is up to the task, before pulling the trigger.

moosinaround
06-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Especially a big critter like a moose or bull elk. The smallest moose I ever shot was last year, but it was the hardest animal I ever had to get out to the truck! Try to get them to drop in their tracks!! cause you might not see the gully they run into only 50 yrds away!! Moosin

BiG Boar
06-25-2008, 01:10 PM
most of the animals and heads you see are people who are de-boning on the spot and not carrying the weight of the animal out. I would recomend deboning on the spot. I believe you have to leave a piece of hide attached to the largest piece of meat, and evidence of sex stays either on one hind quarter or on the cape. At least this is the way I think it works. Wouldnt mind someone clearing this up totally though.

anglo-saxon
06-25-2008, 01:59 PM
Aah, so the pretty pics I'm seeing are the "after" pics! Got it.

hunter1947
06-26-2008, 05:30 AM
They never show the blood and guts or meat ,just the trophy animal.

The meat has been taken out but you don't see it :roll:.

Mr. Friendly
06-26-2008, 09:41 AM
here's an added noob question. why would you winch up on a moose windpipe? :eek:

newhunterette
06-26-2008, 10:54 AM
blood, gore, up the windpipe

are we Stephen King wannabes?

it seems for a photo opportunity and respect for the downed critter to take photos that give the animal its dignity and show its beauty as well as the euphoric smile on the hunter's face

we all know the hard work that lies ahead of us when harvesting a large critter - if one had to document every part of the harvest we would never take down an animal or have time to gut it out, skin it and pack it

studying the provincial regulations will give you the lawful stats of transporting wild game

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wildlife/hunting/regulations/0708/docs/Hunting_Regulations.pdf

pages 20-22

boxhitch
06-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Word 'windpipe' used for emphasis. If I said neck, no one would have noticed.
Blood, guts, and death is part of hunting. Sugar coat it if that pleases you, but the reality is there.
Somehow beauty and dignity end with the heartbeat.

BiG Boar
06-27-2008, 07:21 AM
I think some of these hunters should tough up and lift the animal out whole on thier backs. Come on guys. I remember when I used to shoot a moose, pick up the front legs and throw one over each of my shoulders and hike out for miles! And that was training for my african elephant hunt. But that is a whole other story. Tough up guys!

Mr. Friendly
06-27-2008, 01:28 PM
I think some of these hunters should tough up and lift the animal out whole on thier backs. Come on guys. I remember when I used to shoot a moose, pick up the front legs and throw one over each of my shoulders and hike out for miles! And that was training for my african elephant hunt. But that is a whole other story. Tough up guys!
there's an awesome picture of some guy (redneck) riding his bike with a deer over his shoulders! check the CGN Mountain Bike thread under Hunting and Sporting Arms! :D

rock
06-27-2008, 06:19 PM
you do what you have to do to get the animal out off the bush, pretty simple, though the further in you go I tend to let alot past due to the terrain and distance, but all in all have a great time.

X-man
06-27-2008, 08:54 PM
........Blood, guts, and death is part of hunting. Sugar coat it if that pleases you, but the reality is there.
Somehow beauty and dignity end with the heartbeat.

Yup Well said.
An ethical hunt followed by a quick kill mean more to me than how the dead animal is moved to the freezer.

Once its dead its a piece of meat that needs to get looked after....How that happens matters not to the dignity of the animal.

Wasted meat=Disrespect