PDA

View Full Version : How much game is everyone seeing?

lunatic
06-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Thought it might be interesting to know how much game everyone is seeing in their travels especially in the Northeastern part of the province where so many of you members come to hunt in the fall. There was lots of talk last year of bad winterkill, ticks, etc. It was argued on this forum that not all areas experienced this. I spent many hours up and down the Murray River and countless hours quadding cutlines, siesmic lines, etc. in my area and only saw one carcass that a HUGE grizz was feeding on. So what are the northerners seeing this year? I personally cannot believe the amount of game I have been seeing since the snow has gone. Moose, bears, ( both kinds ), goats, and TONS OF ELK ! Should be a fantastic season especially for elk. Lets hear from some people.

Wolfman
06-25-2008, 10:36 AM
I haven't been out yet this year, but I saw some really exotic and strange creatures out at Jimmy Mack's last night ;-) No LEH or other tags available for them weird creatures though (I don't think) ;-)

Wolfman

moosinaround
06-25-2008, 10:55 AM
I have been out a few times this spring, and have seen quite a bit of game. Two weekends ago went out bear hunting and seen 12 bears, 1 beauty bull moose, pine martin, grouse squirrels. Went out night before last seen a doe who I believe just dropped her fawn. Every time we go out we see game. Never connected on a bear this year though. I will have to get one this fall. This was all around PG and to the North and east of PG. Moosin

Gateholio
06-25-2008, 12:58 PM
No game in Pemberton. Head to Clearwater.

Mr. Dean
06-25-2008, 01:03 PM
No game in Pemberton. Head to Clearwater.

x2
ALL the action is in Clearwater. :wink:

It's no big secret...

Jelvis
06-25-2008, 01:07 PM
No game at all in Kamloops but I heard Clearwater was teaming with trophy buck mule deer and moose all over by Birch-Island area especially Foghorn Mtn. You'll get lots this September for sure. Jel-I-concur-Clearwater rocks

daycort
06-25-2008, 01:46 PM
the graham/halway drainage and surounding area was hit hard during the 2007 winter kill. I have seen very little moose. Deer and elk are here as always, just have to get off the quad trails.

Squirrelnuts
06-25-2008, 04:42 PM
Working around Quesnel and out to Nazko and I've seen more (mule) deer than in any time in memory. It'd be nice if they learned to look both ways before stepping onto the road, though... Seeing lots of them in places that I've rarely seen them before.

Bears everywhere.

As far as moose, I've seen far more this year than last. Seems they've wintered well. Lots of bulls, too, but of course, they'll all be in hiding by the time someone else gets my draw :)

finish
06-25-2008, 05:55 PM
No Game here in Cranbrook either!!! Maybe try Kamloops!

Sideofabarn
06-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Have seen a few moose, and a truckload of black bear east of town. A lot of rabbits around too I notice.

wsm
06-25-2008, 06:48 PM
i heard from a friend of the family.he said that he has never seen so much wildlife around his neck of the woods neer the blackwater. said he counted over a hundred deer in his fields last week.apparently moose and bears are a daily occurance. this is the first time i've ever seen him excited about how much game is around:mrgreen:

pikey
06-25-2008, 07:10 PM
OK, I'm confused, I heard last year at Williams lake that Bucks were way down, I was at a family cabin North of Princeton this weekend and there tracks everywhere but the story was "Hunting is way down"

Am I gettting the real story or are people telling fibs??? :)

The Dawg
06-25-2008, 07:18 PM
I have been out a few times this spring, and have seen quite a bit of game. Two weekends ago went out bear hunting and seen 12 bears, 1 beauty bull moose, pine martin, grouse squirrels. Went out night before last seen a doe who I believe just dropped her fawn. Every time we go out we see game. Never connected on a bear this year though. I will have to get one this fall. This was all around PG and to the North and east of PG. Moosin

I can vouch for that :) What a trip Mike!

I also saw a whitetail doe with a spike buck in the same area last weekend. Not spooked at all, so I know where I am heading :)

Aaron Blom
06-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Working around Kamloops and have seen numerous good potential mulies and few decent whities. Moose sightings are higher than I would have expected, and a few small bears.

4 point
06-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Heading fishing early last Saturday morning I saw a black bear, bull moose & 4 deer including 1 small fawn all in fairly close distance from each other south of town.

BCRiverBoater
06-25-2008, 07:41 PM
NE BC did have some winter kill in areas in 2007 but this winter should not have been nearly as hard. I have seen lots of elk and deer and some bear. Not much for moose but I have not been out too much. The mountains are usually okay as they always have their wind blown wintering areas.

thinkingman
06-25-2008, 07:48 PM
was out for a walk a week ago monday and spotted a sow bear, snall side of medium about 200 meters north of the #1 highway between cole road and # 3,

off to 100 mile house for a bear hunt tomorrow and back on tuesday.

thinkingman

Jelvis
06-25-2008, 08:08 PM
One guy from the gym who rides dirt bikes up by Duffy Lake / Greenstone mt. said there was a hundred bikers up there riding around and he still saw tons of deer, fawns does and some deer with antlers in velvet. He saw a bear up by Roche lake and saw quite a few deer up Noble Creek area and some bear there, what really surprized me was he said he saw a cow elk up by Duffy and that is quite unusual. He's not a hunter but he sees animals, saw lots of rabbits and some grouse too. Jel.

TherealSLYFOX
06-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Its been crazy i saw more deer this year than any previous one headed up to dease lake it was nuts deer everywhere i even hit one with the truck outside boston bar went to squamish for bear i saw a muley on the side of the highway first time in 6 or 7 years i was pumped i did get my bear what a beauty anyways i believe were in for a treat this year ive seen moose deer goats sheep in places i didnt know they were anyways good luck to all.

eric
06-25-2008, 08:49 PM
Out in the Del Rio area been seing a ton of Elk, mostly cows and calfs which is a good thing.Only seen 2 moose all spring and the one was covered in ticks also seen one white tail doe also covered in ticks.
Looks like it's gonna be tuff moose hunting, same as last year in this area,
If these ticks keep getting after the moose it's going to take years for the moose to recover.
If anybody is thinking of coming up into this area for moose, pick another spot, maybe up the highway or north of FSJ.

Hey Lunatic we need to meet and greet one of these days.
are you going on the river this weekend? My one boy is graduating tomorrow so lots of family up for the celebration, will be taking a trip Friday up to the falls, should be fun

Good luck hunting this fall everyone
Eric

hunter1947
06-26-2008, 04:53 AM
I have not seen many animals here in Black Creek ,but I hear that there is lots of game in the Pemberton area :wink:.

sealevel
06-26-2008, 06:45 AM
I have been out lots there`s more moose here then there has ever been. Been seeing a lot of deer both whites and muleys .

scoot
06-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Working around Quesnel and out to Nazko and I've seen more (mule) deer than in any time in memory. It'd be nice if they learned to look both ways before stepping onto the road, though... Seeing lots of them in places that I've rarely seen them before.

Bears everywhere.

As far as moose, I've seen far more this year than last. Seems they've wintered well. Lots of bulls, too, but of course, they'll all be in hiding by the time someone else gets my draw :)

I was going to say the same thing. Lots of mule deer west of PG. More than I have seen in past years. More or less the same with bears except they are everywhere.

LeverActionJunkie
06-26-2008, 07:41 PM
I have been seeing tons of game driving from Kamloops to Adams Lake each morning. I usually see a few deer couple nice young bucks, saw an immy moose and a couple bears. Thats just work and back :)

finish
06-27-2008, 05:01 AM
Still nothing for game here in Cranbrook.....

rock
06-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Lots of blacktail lately, the bears are still there but not seeing them like we should, later in the year they'll appear when the berries and fruit are ready. Today saw a 3 point blacktail at 50 yds walk into a bluff by a construction sight was there for the day not a very big bluff but enough for him to bed down. Last week had a 2 point with a spike walk into the same bluff and bed down for the day, construction all around this area but they seem to like it coolest spot in the area.

lunatic
06-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Hey Eric, yeah we need to meet one of these days especially if we live just a few houses apart. I was gone until late last night so the river boating was on hold. Might go today as it seems like it will be a beautiful day. Driving home last night I saw 7 moose within an hour and 4 were bulls. Some areas seem to have fared O.K. Seems further North is good though from the info i'm getting from that way.