PDA

View Full Version : Scotty Blackbox

bosch
06-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Just curious how many blackbox believers there are out there, I have caught fish with and without one over the years. I usually set my voltages for springs between 580 and 620 millivolts, higher for coho, when they are legal of course, but have measured my boat's voltage to be as high as 750 with 2 nice springs in the tub. Anyone want to comment on this?, I fish in the Sooke waters, trapshack, becherhead area.

GrandA
06-24-2008, 02:03 PM
never used it - would love to try one out. They are expensive buggers. I am planning on making a trip to sooke, you will have to inform me of where the good fishing is. Plus have you taken down halibut in that area?

Sitkaspruce
06-24-2008, 02:20 PM
As far as I am concerned, it is a gimmick. I have never had one and catch tons of fish. Just think about it, when you are fishing the sooke waters, or anywhere else for that matter, there is lots of different currents running through the water, and they are all not running at the magic mark;). Yet still people catch fish. If there was the wrong current in the water, then the fish would all leave or not bite. I know people who will not fish unless their voltage is just right, their loss. I worry more about my spin on my bait and the proper speed.

I switched to Tuff Line XP in yellow on my downriggers so I never have to worry about the voltage on my lines (if I did) and this weekend caught an 18 and 32 lbs spring, along with two hali's. My boat is a tin boat as well.

It is better to have the proper zinc's and your boat grounded, than to spend the money on the "Black box".

Save your money and go fishing:mrgreen:

My two cents

SS

Mr. Dean
06-24-2008, 03:02 PM
I kinda stand on the same ground as Sitka.

I won't stand up and say that they're gimmicks, as the commercials have run simular units for years (my understanding) - But if you go fishing and catch fish,,, it's hard to justify the extra expense. Sure there are *some* long and lonesome days out there, but them are had by black box holders also. IMO thats just a part of fishing.

More important to learn relationships between tide and structure and how to properly bond an electrical system, me thinks.

Save the coin for Go-Go Juice... :wink:

Dannybuoy
06-24-2008, 05:23 PM
I have been thinking about getting 1 to see if it makes any difference , I fish in the big fresh water lakes . They are fairly inexpensive (as fishing stuff goes ) around $100. Heck a set of balls (downrigger)will run more than that these days

BlacktailStalker
06-24-2008, 05:23 PM
They are useful if your boat is emitting a fish detering charge naturally, but they arent worth the coin otherwise.
It IS a fact, some boats fish better than others :biggrin:

Chuck
06-24-2008, 08:23 PM
I would agree with Blacktail Stalker. I've had better luck dry fly fishing on freshwater rivers when my boat was a wooden clunker. Now I have an aluminum boat and have difficulty getting close enough.

bosch
06-24-2008, 08:34 PM
never used it - would love to try one out. They are expensive buggers. I am planning on making a trip to sooke, you will have to inform me of where the good fishing is. Plus have you taken down halibut in that area?Go to Cheanua marina, and lauch your boat and head due south, turn right and fish for good springs all the way down to the island called secretary, awesome fishing all along there, for hallies, go to peddar marina and launch, go out of the marina to the bay mouth and turn due north about a mile and you are in halibut grounds, other halibut spots around there also.Good luck!

SAVAGE300
06-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Im neutral about the boxes myself, its just like any fishen lure, if YOU think its going to catch fish then us it, personally I think if your boat is properly zinced with ss DR cables you will do just as well, just my 2 cents

abbyfireguy
06-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Power Pro 200 lb test downrigger line...Picked up two 450 ft spools for $42US each direct from Power Pro...
Apparently it outlast SS and conducts no electrical charge..
Paint your balls(the lead ones8)) that helps a lot too...
I bought some "tool dip" spray paint from Home Depot,,multi layers makes a nice thick ,tough coating..Raw lead lets off charges of its own...
Every little bit helps....
I am pulling out all the stops this year ...