PDA

View Full Version : Of all the rotten luck!!!!

brotherjack
06-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Well, after a long talk with a doctor and a phisiotherapist, I have learned that if you spend your life making a living sitting in front of a computer without proper armrests and ergonomic keyboard and all that jazz, eventually the strain on the point where the tendons in your arm muscles hook up at your rotator cuff's will cause you to develop RSI (repetitive strain injury) in said rotator cuff's. Ask me how I came to be having that conversation with medical staff. :(

So, no more bow pulling for me for a while (probably a very long while). Really, really annoying, considering I just got a nice little compound bow setup a few months ago that I have been enjoying immensely. I guess it could be worse - I can always go back to being an evil crossbow hunter if it's not healed up enough by fall time (or would I still be evil if I had a legitimate medical reason to not be able to pull a bow?) ;)

Anyhoo, thanks for listenin to me whine.

Dragginbait
06-24-2008, 12:38 PM
There's nothing evil about a crossbow, it still has a stick and a string doesn't it? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_2_113.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZNxpt425YYCA)

If you need a lid for the can of worms, let me know:wink:

riflebuilder
06-24-2008, 02:00 PM
I have a torn rotator cuff and it sucks. I can still shoot my bow but I can practice very much or it gets to sore.

interceptor
06-24-2008, 04:17 PM
That is bad news mate,

On the bright side archery is still possible, crossbows are not that evil.

I have a good mate who suffered the same injury, I spent a lot of time with him (over 12 months) and we were able to get him shooting like a demon out to 60 yards from his 70# switchback, he took some great animals when he went to Africa last year so keep your head up mate you will get there in the end.

No doubt you wont be thinking about pulling a bow back for a while, but when you do the tip is to find a bow that has a gentle draw cycle and not shoot too many arrows in a session.

Cheers Noel

Bow Walker
06-24-2008, 07:28 PM
Guess you'll be wanting to buy back that crossbow you sold recently, eh Adam?

Dragginbait is right - it's still essentially a stick and a string. Take all the time necessarry to heal properly - or you'll regret it for a long, long time.

The Hermit
06-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Brother... try accupuncture! Three sessions have almost cured my tendonitis (tennis elbow) that was so bad I couldn't lift a glass of beer!! Phisio and Massage did nothing!!

Wolfman
06-25-2008, 12:02 AM
Indeed! Acupuncture and acupressure works wonders on all kinds of injuries. I've got a buddy with a bum knee that says it works well on his injury/condition.

Wolfman

Mr. Dean
06-25-2008, 12:07 AM
You're an :evil: EVIL :evil: EVIL :evil: person indeed.

**If you try the accupunture, PM me your results**
I'm thinking of trying some on this end.

Thx.

boatdoc
06-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Going thru rotator cuff problems myself. I have a great physiotherapist and i'm almost healed but it has taken forever. I have been told that accupuncture is the answer in many cases. Best of luck brotherjack.

brotherjack
06-25-2008, 08:35 AM
I was always in the camp that thought acupuncture was ridiculous until I did some reading up on prolotherapy (something The Wife(tm) is thinking about trying for her torn SI joint that's been causing her pain for quite a few years now) and got the concept of how it worked. Basically, they inject a mildly caustic fluid into the joint, and the body's response is to produce stem cells at the point of irritation which grow into tissue around the irritation which then shores up the weak joint area. And I had a "wow" moment, when I realized that accupuncture probably does approximately the same thing via a different method (though I've never heard it explained quite that way).

So, I'm still not rushing out to have em pincushion me, as I am still having a tendency towards traditional medicine - but I'm open to the idea if things aren't improved a few weeks. :)

(and yeah, I knew crossbows weren't evil - I was just having a bit of fun). ;) Hopefully if this turns out to be a long term problem, I can sell the PSE rig for enough to get me close to another Excalibur.

Anyhoo - thanks for all the sympathy and support. I be appreciatin it. :cool:

Grantmac
06-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Now might be a great time to try out traditional archery. The draw is very smooth and 40lbs is a great practise weight to get your shoulder back in the game.

99trix
06-25-2008, 05:23 PM
I am recooping from orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder. I pretty much had everything wrong in there from all of the years of abuse and not getting it fix when it first started bothering me. I had a tear in my tendon, tears in my rotator cuff and arthritis in my joint. It took from November of 2005 to February of 2008 from the original visit to my GP to finally getting my surgery :eek: Well I am finally doing strengthing activities and it is taking a while, but for the first time in about 3.5 years I can use my arm above the height of my shoulder. I would recommend not messing with it and get in the que asap to get it repaired it is not a quick process!

newhunterette
06-25-2008, 06:04 PM
Brotherjack - my heartfelt get well wishes are sent to you

I wholeheartedly understand your dilema about the bow hunt and perhaps having to turn to a crossbow

I love my handmedown bows that were given to me - but I resigned myself to not ever being able to pull my recurves and have been given the opportunity to learn the art of hunting with a crossbow (still waiting for the birdie to make a decison on whether he will purchase it for me)

if a special handicap is something we have to endure through our lives - stay positive always to know at least you do not have to walk away completely from bow hunting as alternatives can always been found and learned :)

best luck with your recovery :)

Ali

Elkhound
06-25-2008, 08:27 PM
You're an :evil: EVIL :evil: EVIL :evil: person indeed.

**If you try the accupunture, PM me your results**
I'm thinking of trying some on this end.

Thx.

You are getting it done on your end..........wow. Brave man

BJ, sorry to hear that man.

hannibal
06-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I tore up my back quite bad a few years back. acupuncture worked quite well for me. If I get a flare up now and then it's into the bathtub, real hot with Epsom salts, do that a couple of times and it's like a good massage.

newhunterette
06-25-2008, 09:14 PM
unfortunately for me a broken back (healed now but never 100% again) has created my inability to handle a traditional bow but I will be extremely happy with a crossbow (so I have been told) but I do like my hot tub for the aches and pains from a hard day

Brotherjack if the acupuncture works for you - maybe I will get up the nerve to give it a try - my son had it on his knee and he is doing great with his active lifestyle of rugby and hockey and chasing girls lol - just I am a tad squeamish at the thought of little needles in my back