PDA

View Full Version : guided horse hunts

SLIK
06-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Just bought my very first pair of cowboy boots last weekend. Put em on and didn't want to take em off. They make me feel kinda cool in a goofy way.

Anyways, started brainstorming and I'd like to look into a guided horse hunt. Possibly for next season, who really knows I'd just like to see if it's really doable.
As far as experience goes, my parents used to always send me to horse camps when I was a kid. So I know what a horse looks like, and I remember the basic techniques for getting them to walk, trot and canter. But I am by no means a cowboy, and my hunting skill level would probably be around novice to intermediate. I've put in around 100-150 days in the last three years with 4 kills. I'd probably be going with my dad and we're probably on par with each other. Not really looking for anything extreme, but if we're putting out some good coin I'd prefer if we went after a big game animal like an Elk or a caribou.

So if anybody can refer me to an outfit, or just give me an idea of costs. Or even share their experience if they went on one, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks

srupp
06-23-2008, 04:30 PM
hmmmm Im going on a trophy mule deer hunt in early Sept...out west in the Chilcotin..dont know the cost..as it was a trade....

Steven

sparky300winmag
06-23-2008, 04:30 PM
You could check out this web site .These guys are out of Invermere .I know the owners and they are stand up people,but i have never gone on a guided trip ,so always get references. www.abarzoutfitters.com (http://www.abarzoutfitters.com)

06-23-2008, 05:01 PM
In regards to guided hunt. Don't forget there are also packers, I have hired there services a number of times for Sheep and Elk and had great success and experiences. The cost for a packer is way less then a guide, but they are two different hunts obviously. Hiring a packer is either a drop off hunt or they may stay in camp depending on what is arranged. They are not allowed to be with you while hunting. Also you cannot hunt while in transport with the packer. They cannot aid you in any way as to say there is a great ram on that mnt. go get him.
While a guide charges more, they accompany you. They spot and usually stalk the game with you, they know the area well, the two services are different so look into them both.
Example of a guided Sheep hunt for Stone Sheep and Elk $15,000.00 to 25,000.00, some times not counting trophy fees if your successful.
Same length of trip with a packer, any where from $2,000.00 to 5000.00 depending on what he or she does for you, cooking, packing of game etc.

Frankly, I can never afford a guided hunt, nor would I like some one to hold my hand and tell me where a certain big Bull has been living all year. There is some satisfaction in finding and hunting the critter yourself.
Good luck though, there are some good outfits out there for both Guided hunts and packers.
C/T

Stresd
06-23-2008, 05:04 PM
Been on more than a few shitter trips. In the warm weather the cowboy boots are fine. But when the weather gets cold:eek: The only guy I every horse hunted with that wore them even in the cold stuff was ole Billy Hutch. One heck of a hunter and tougher than nails. So make sure you have a warm pair of boots that will slip easily out of the stirrups. Or you may find you end up doing a lot of walking just too keep the feet warm:lol:

Gateholio
06-23-2008, 05:07 PM
The Guide Outfitter Association of BC website has links to lots of outfitters, it's a good place to start. If you don't know much about horses, hiring a guide or packer is a great way to have a great time, without spending all your time trying to figure out horses!:D

I'd try the GOABC website, find what you are looking for and then ask people about "XYZ Outfitters"

porcupine
06-23-2008, 05:19 PM
http://www.bignine.com/

They have reduced rates for BC residents. I went on a trip with them and it was first class all the way, the trip of a lifetime. Tons of Elk. I also got a nice ram as well as a big 6 point elk. I can't say enough about how good the experience was and how I got more than full value for what I paid.

Bighorn hunter
06-23-2008, 07:08 PM
http://www.bignine.com/

They have reduced rates for BC residents. I went on a trip with them and it was first class all the way, the trip of a lifetime. Tons of Elk. I also got a nice ram as well as a big 6 point elk. I can't say enough about how good the experience was and how I got more than full value for what I paid.

Like porcupine said, Big nine runs a great show, another to try is sikanni river outfitters (Mike Hammet) great people and lots of horses.

waistdeep
06-23-2008, 07:13 PM
I just got back sunday from Stan Walchuk's. Blue Creek Outfitter gives a one week course on packing and managing horses in the wilderness. You want to be comfortable with horses and what they are capable of doing, take the course - worth the effort hands down. You can rent the horses and Stan will drop them off where you want to hunt and supply all the tents, cooking supplies and game bags. All you need is your cloths, gun and bedroll he supplies everything else.

We spent an awesome week in the McBride ranges, not that hard, my wife joined me for the adventure and we had a great time learning how to place diamonds on horses.:wink: And, it will not cost as much as any of the numbers stated so far.

BCLongshot
06-23-2008, 07:49 PM
In regards to the cowboy boots...

greybark
06-23-2008, 08:22 PM
;) Re , Guided horse hunts . I didn`t know they were open ...:smile:
Cheers

boxhitch
06-23-2008, 10:16 PM
Real cowboy boots ? or those highheeled dancehall turdkickers ?

mpotzold
06-24-2008, 12:17 AM
[quote=SLIK;295818]Just bought my very first pair of cowboy boots last weekend. Put em on and didn't want to take em off. They make me feel kinda cool in a goofy way.
I know how you feel! Similar feeling after I bought my first pair of DAYTON cowboy boots.

Big Bucks
06-24-2008, 12:17 AM
hey SRUPP , WHat outfit are you going with on your mule deer hunt?

SLIK
06-24-2008, 12:32 AM
Ya these are the real thing, even got the soles nailed into them. And no I probably wouldn't bring em on a hunt, there just for show.

SLIK
06-24-2008, 12:35 AM
I just got back sunday from Stan Walchuk's. Blue Creek Outfitter gives a one week course on packing and managing horses in the wilderness. You want to be comfortable with horses and what they are capable of doing, take the course - worth the effort hands down. You can rent the horses and Stan will drop them off where you want to hunt and supply all the tents, cooking supplies and game bags. All you need is your cloths, gun and bedroll he supplies everything else.

We spent an awesome week in the McBride ranges, not that hard, my wife joined me for the adventure and we had a great time learning how to place diamonds on horses.:wink: And, it will not cost as much as any of the numbers stated so far.

That sounds like what I'm looking for.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Kid Hunter
06-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Hey I was looking around and I found this site: http://www.anchordhighmountainhunts.com/index.html

It looks pretty good but the prices are pretty high. The lowest is $2500 and the highest is $7500.

Hope it was helpful:)