PDA

View Full Version : Outfitters for goat

Crazy
06-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Hey guys and gals! I know a few of you from other websites and a a few of you I know personally. I have some questions about goat hunting outfitters in BC.

We recently had a goat hunt planned with a very good family friend from BC, a fellow that my father guided with for many, many years. With a recent phone call our friend has informed us that due to health issues he can no longer do any more goat hunting. We have a few other options with some other friends/outfitters but I also want to check out our other options as well.

So if you were planning a goat hunt in BC who would be your choice for an outfitter and why? I am just looking for some options in case things don't/cant work out with the connections we have already.

Thanks for your time, I appreciate it!

BCRiverBoater
06-23-2008, 05:35 AM
Is it size you are after or just a good experience?

rocksteady
06-23-2008, 06:42 AM
What part of the province are you looking at chasing goats in???

That will help identify potential guides...

06-23-2008, 08:31 AM
If your wanting a big book Billy, look to the coastal mnts. probably near Terrace, Smithers, etc. Goats are really sensitive to harvest, so what ever you do, only shoot a Billy, although you can legally take a nanny or kid its not good. There numbers are directly effected by nanny survival. If you study goats, you can be sure to take a Bill so do the right thing, many out there are not and it will hurt us all in the long run.
C/T

Sitkaspruce
06-23-2008, 09:00 AM
Crazy

PM sent your way

SS

manalishi
06-23-2008, 10:37 AM
Why wouldn't it be law to just take Billys, almost sounds like a no brainer.

06-23-2008, 11:14 AM
What I've been told about only a billy law by C/O's and Biologists is that they would have a tough fight in court to win the battle of billy compared to nanny.

There are huge differences IF!!!!! you take the time to study the animal, but many don't.
What is disturbing is that in areas that are struggling in lower populations, some hunters, and even guided hunters are still knocking down some nannys. This will for sure cause closures altogether if this continues in those area's.

So every one.... take the time to ID them correctly AND ONLY harvest Billys.

C/T

Crazy
06-23-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the replys and PM's, I will respond to them this evening.

Curly Top, I understand your concerns and agree with what you have to say. Now can we please keep it on topic ;-) :D.

Thanks agian guys! 8-)

Avalanche123
06-24-2008, 08:44 AM
Mike Lewis is very good. I've attached their link below. They cater to bowhunters too if that is something you are interested in. They also have a great success rate for everyone. They work out of Terrace, BC.
http://www.bolenlewis.com/

Blainer
06-24-2008, 10:51 PM
I was always thinking about trying a guided hunt,but the prices in B.C. seem extremely high.Maybe it just me,but it would be cheaper to fly to Africa,harvest 4 animals(approx $3600),and fly home,than to harvest a goat,ram,ect, with a B.C. outfitter.I have seen less expensive deals as far as flying to Quebec and harvesting 2 caribou.
What do you think?

BCRiverBoater
06-24-2008, 10:56 PM
International hunts can be cheaper up front for the hunt, tags and guides but do not forget import permits and taxidermy. Go to Africa and shoot 6 animals then add up permits, shipping and taxidermy for 6 animals. All of a sudden a $8000 goat hunt seams real cheap.

Crazy
06-24-2008, 11:12 PM
I was always thinking about trying a guided hunt,but the prices in B.C. seem extremely high.Maybe it just me,but it would be cheaper to fly to Africa,harvest 4 animals(approx $3600),and fly home,than to harvest a goat,ram,ect, with a B.C. outfitter.I have seen less expensive deals as far as flying to Quebec and harvesting 2 caribou.
What do you think?

Many very close friends and family have been to Africa, but I have no interest and don't think I ever will. The mountains of western Canada is where I belong.

Just too bad that in my lifetime I will probably never draw a goat tag in Alberta :-(. The chances are like winning the lottery.

TSW
06-24-2008, 11:56 PM
I'll second the Bolen and Lewis Outfit.

boxhitch
06-25-2008, 07:11 AM
Maybe it just me,but it would be cheaper to fly to Africa,harvest 4 animals(approx $3600),and fly home,
You haven't shown your total costs.
And there will always be something cheaper. Want real cheap ? Go as a non-hunter.
Apples vs apples. If you want a goat hunt in bc, compare with goat hunts in bc.

boxhitch
06-25-2008, 07:17 AM
Crazy, there are a few goat outfits around Golden, a little closer to home ?
I've seen some good goats from the Beaverfoot .

Crazy
06-25-2008, 10:07 AM

Golden is closer to home for sure. The origional area we were supposed to hunt was around the Golden/Revelstoke area if I remember correctly.

browningboy
06-28-2008, 08:52 AM
If you want to go after goat in Lilloet (Spelling?) try Highcaliber Outfitting, he starts his new business this fall.

06-28-2008, 12:04 PM

Great goat hunting in the Columbia Valley. The Beaverfoot is a very good choice.
Try:
http://www.goabc.org/outfitters/223/beaverfoot-outfitting.aspx
or:
http://www.goabc.org/outfitters/57/a-bar-z-outfitters-ltd.aspx

Also the Elk Valley is very good.
Try:
http://www.goabc.org/outfitters/70/elk-valley-bighorn-outfitters.aspx
or:
http://www.goabc.org/outfitters/18/packhorse-creek-outfitters-ltd.aspx

I know all these guys and they're all very highly recommended. A Bar Z and Beaverfoot Outfitting are family run operations with three generations of operating experience in the same territories. All of the above have harvested Boone and Crockett goats.

Crazy
06-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Thanks guys!