PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing for Northern Pike/Pickrel

waistdeep
06-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Heading out to norther saskatchewan for some pike fishing. Taking my dad for a fathers day gift to join my brother and his three sons. Should be a great time, but, who has done this before so to give a few tips on these sask northern snakes?

Wild one
06-23-2008, 09:01 AM
I have fly fished pike in Alberta.First tip do not use the crimping wire leaders(they will cost you fish and flys)spend the money for the ones you can tie on.For flys I like 6-12inch rabbit strips and bucktails yellows, green,white,and red.If you can make or buy weedles it is worth it.

Good luck I hope this helps

waistdeep
06-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Right on, heading out Wed morning. Should be a good time. Did you use the sinking line or floating?

Wild one
06-23-2008, 10:26 PM
I used both depending on where I was fishing.If I was fishing shallow bays or channles I used a floating line with a rabbit strip with a fome head.Deep water sinking line with bucktails or bead head rabbit strip.For big pike find weed beds near a drop off and go with the sinking set up but late afternoon early morning they seem to move in a little more shallow.It maybe different were you are going but this is what worked for me.If you go out with big ugly flys and try the different the depths around weed beds and rocks you should have some luck.

Good luck and let me know how you did

waistdeep
07-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Came back Wed night from some awesome fishing. Brought my dad out for a fathers day gift and what a time we had. I was catching up to 30 fish a day, Norhtern Pike on the #8 fly rod is a hoot, largest I caught was 36" so it gave that Sage a good work out. Largest Pickeral was 28" and Largest Trout was 25". Seems like we got out in time though as the Sask fires were getting out of control and creating alot of smoke.

Really good time with Sask fishing but,,,,,,those springs at Langara Lodge that I have been reeling in over the past 8 years still hold the trophy in my mind.

Cheers and enjoy your summer - only 83 sleeps till the Caribou trip - yehawww!

Huey
07-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Best fishing memories I have are of when I was young fishing in and around Flin Flon for pickles.
Bakers Narrows and Jan lake.

Grandpa knew Jan like the back of his hand. Everyone would come to him and ask where he's catching all those fish. Grandpa then replied 'by the rock island with the tree growing in it.' The guy the needed to fish the 10000+ islands with trees in them to find the honey hole, good luck! I miss those times!